almost made up my mind...

golden blue

New guy here. New to amp modeling, so apologies in advance...

After many many hours of research i think im ready to buy an ax8. But before i open up my wallet i want to be absloutely 100% sure that this will fit my needs.

Im a bedroom studio guy, dont gig or plan to, so this is mainly for recording purposes. The reason im going for the ax8 as opposed to the axe fx II, is the ax8 is in my budget.

I currently have a 2nd gen focusrite scarlett 18i8 with windows 10 pc, out put through a pair of jbl lsr305's. I run Studio One 3 as my DAW.

What is the best way to go about using the ax8 to record?

As of right now, i plug my blackstar amp directly in to the interface from the emulated line out, or plug just my dirt boxes directly in. Simple, and id like to keep it this way as much as possible. (Though i have been reading up on ReAmping and this is something i would definitely like to try.) AlsoRead something about using spdif cables recording at 48k. What if i want to record at 88k or higher? Can i just plug 1/4"ers into my interface and go?

For jamming, is the ax8 more suited to being played through my JBL's, or will it sound good through my blackstar ht40 club amp as well? (Read something about running it through the fx send loop on the amp).

Appreciate your patience. Once ive commited,(im about 90% of the way there) i plan on really digging into the manual and tut vids to familiarize myself even more while i wait for it to arrive.

If you go for the II (I just sold mine for $1200, shipped, so great deals to be had) keep in mind you'll ideally want the foot controller, which even used is going to add several hundred dollars to the cost. The AX8, while not as fully featured, has all the foot switches to change patches, turn effects on/off etc, built into it already.

In some ways i like the AX8 control better than the MFC101, since it can have per preset control assignments.

New guy here. New to amp modeling, so apologies in advance...

After many many hours of research i think im ready to buy an ax8. But before i open up my wallet i want to be absloutely 100% sure that this will fit my needs.

Im a bedroom studio guy, dont gig or plan to, so this is mainly for recording purposes. The reason im going for the ax8 as opposed to the axe fx II, is the ax8 is in my budget.

I currently have a 2nd gen focusrite scarlett 18i8 with windows 10 pc, out put through a pair of jbl lsr305's. I run Studio One 3 as my DAW.

What is the best way to go about using the ax8 to record?

As of right now, i plug my blackstar amp directly in to the interface from the emulated line out, or plug just my dirt boxes directly in. Simple, and id like to keep it this way as much as possible. (Though i have been reading up on ReAmping and this is something i would definitely like to try.) AlsoRead something about using spdif cables recording at 48k. What if i want to record at 88k or higher? Can i just plug 1/4"ers into my interface and go?

For jamming, is the ax8 more suited to being played through my JBL's, or will it sound good through my blackstar ht40 club amp as well? (Read something about running it through the fx send loop on the amp).

Appreciate your patience. Once ive commited,(im about 90% of the way there) i plan on really digging into the manual and tut vids to familiarize myself even more while i wait for it to arrive.

IMO the AX8 is really designed for gigging and live use. It’s perfect for most live applications. Like others have said you’re better getting an Ax FX II which more than twice the processing power. If you’re just recording you probably don’t need the MFC-101. But be forewarned, once you try a FAS product you may become obsessed and want more. It’s mind blowing how good these things sound and the amazing things that you can do with them. Good luck.

You all are awesome, thank you for your replies! I HAVE been checking out used AFXII's for the very reasons you all mentioned: more processing power. Dont want to be in a situation where i cant run the number of fx or whatnot due to tapping out the cpu and having to cut corners. This is the one hook that the L6 Helix has in me. But again! Not to cut corners! Ive 'tasted' the 'secret sauce' Fractal has and it is mighty tasty! I may very well just save up the extra few bones and go Fractal AFXII. Dont want to settle now, and regret it later even if that means i cant get my gear right now. I cant help but wonder though if for what im doing, if the AX8 will be more than adequate. As for fx, i mainly run dirt boxes and delays. Maybe a chorus, phaser and or flange here and there. Theres also the peace of mind that comes with owning something new especially considering the price as opposed to taking my chances on a used piece of gear that i know nothing about of the history. And hot damn the mfc 101 IS spendy!! Decisions decisions...

Last edited:
If you are afraid of running out of cpu (which hasn't happened to me yet), for studio purposes, you can record the guitar just going through a good amp/cab set, then re-route that back into the ax8 the way you would if you were reamping, into a new patch that just uses the effects. I havent needed to do this yet so im just assuming it would sound good still.

Yeah... Think im gonna go for the XL+. Pick up a midi controller later... New is on sale for $1800.Reverb has some used at varying prices. I assume the higher priced ones are in better condition. Thank God for overtime pay! Better get crackin on those tutorials!

Last edited:
To answer one of your questions, run your AX8 or AXE/FX II through your monitors in stereo for your bedroom jamming - you will be in hog heaven with the pitch detune and stereo delays. Can't go wrong with a brand new AX8, but a good deal on a used AXE/FX 2 XL would be tempting.

I recommend a used 2 over an ax8. Since you are not playing out and you can get a used 2 for about the same as a new ax8. Better for studio bedroom use Imo.

The XL+ is great, but honestly if I was going to spend $1800 I'd wait another month or two and get the III for $2499. Its going to have many times the processing power of the XL+, huge color screen, 8 in/out interface etc etc, and basically is going to be a flagship product for many years. The XL+ can certainly produce great music, now and into the future, but at some point is going to get left behind, so to speak, in terms of modeling. I'd just personally hate to spend nearly the same money for a "lesser" product that won't have nearly the lifespan. A used II for like $1200 or so is a bit of a different story, because that is enough of a discount (IMO) to make it a great purchase for the hear and now, maybe upgrading in a year or two.

Either way, a XL+ or III is a lot of money by most measures, but I think a "future proof" (relatively speaking) III for $2499 is a buy overall value than a $1800 XL+ that will sooner or later not receive the updates the III will have. Right now, I think the III is basically just far overpowered, running II level modeling, but sooner or later I think Cliff is going to really start to break new boundaries on the III, and it should be an exciting ride.

:):laughing:lqdsnddist: HA! You make some good points but as is, $1800 is seriously stretching my budget. An extra $700 on top of that that i wont have in a couple of months completely destroys my budget! Besides there are other upgrades to my humble bedroom studio id like to make in the near future. I DID peek around at the info i could find on the axeIII. It will be amazing im sure, and i will want one but im gonna have to settle for a lowly and probably used XL+ for the time being. One thing im pretty sure i wont be doing is regretting my decision to go with fractal.

All, I am considering selling my Axe Fx II and MFC-101. Was going to put them on ebay but would rather offer them to a forum friend. Don't know protocol for offering gear on the forum. Is it cool or do I need to do this somewhere else?

YES! Would feel much more comfortable buying used off this forum. Now just waiting for uncle sam to pay me back on all those loans he took last year...

I was letting mine go for $1100 if someone was willing to pick up in Florida. Some great deals to be had right now since so many folks flooded the market when the III was announced. As a result it’s a buyers market and it all comes down to who is willing to accept the least month to make the sale. Heck, guy sold one for $999 the other week. Sold in like an hour of being listed but still, amazing values. I remember buying mine new for $2100 a few years ago lol

Back
Top Bottom