Allowing external storage for FullRes IRs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omri Bazelet

Inspired
Well, the AX3 is pretty much a sort of a computer.
And if the storage runs out, you can connect an external storage and access anything you need.

So!
If Fractal can create a format for external storage such as DOKs and gain access to IRs and Presets.

The device will get a pop up that there's a new storage device and allow launch and operate IRs and Presets or else back up and use it just from the DOK without actually saving it onto the device.
So if a FullRes is large, so external storage should solve it.

I know, it is not profitable because now you want people to buy MK2. But to me, it just about storage, they have the same abilities and sound characters. I believe that using it externally pretty much solves it.

How is this going to work? USB to MIDI?
Nope.
It will simply read the DOK as that flashed cache.
And read syx files.
If it could backup files onto doks and launch firmware updates.
It should be able to read presets and launch them.
USB3.0/2.0 is fast enough in write/read speeds

I do not have an axe III yet so maybe this would not help, but with a II XL and cab lab you can play through IR's with out loading them into the device. With axe edit you can also audition IR's with out saving in the device. many IR's can be saved on a computer, and or flash drive.

Assuming you mean USB B to female A. I don’t think there is a possibility of the Axe-FX having the capability to scan an external device without an external client doing the interfacing. I’d love to be wrong, but that sounds like a headache compared to the solutions we already have.

Assuming you mean USB B to female A. I don’t think there is a possibility of the Axe-FX having the capability to scan an external device without an external client doing the interfacing. I’d love to be wrong, but that sounds like a headache compared to the solutions we already have.
The solution is to pay 2200 usd to a brand new AX3 MK2.
DOK and an adapter is way cheaper.

Or just wait a little bit and see what FAS decides is the best route? I don’t think coding in dongles and USB sticks is it though. You can always sell your MkI and offset the cost by a lot if it means that much.

Who knows, like paranoid suggested, maybe it will be implemented into the MkI and you can audition them instead of storing all of them locally on the unit. I don’t know what the file size limit is for auditioning though.

I understand that, in a standard architecture, USB I/O port and memory are at different buses. How would you make the CPU use the USB as its direct access memory?

1631924251050.png

1631924175164.png

1631924500835.png

A more blatant way to see it: just look at how many pins a memory module has, and compare it with the number of pins of the USB port.

Last edited:
Well, the AX3 is pretty much a sort of a computer.
And if the storage runs out, you can connect an external storage and access anything you need.

So!
If Fractal can create a format for external storage such as DOKs and gain access to IRs and Presets.

The device will get a pop up that there's a new storage device and allow launch and operate IRs and Presets or else back up and use it just from the DOK without actually saving it onto the device.
So if a FullRes is large, so external storage should solve it.

I know, it is not profitable because now you want people to buy MK2. But to me, it just about storage, they have the same abilities and sound characters. I believe that using it externally pretty much solves it.
The FX3 has a USB-B connection, which is, by the standard, a peripheral. So, you're proposing that Fractal break the USB standard, implement USB host protocols, add file system handling and supply the power to a peripheral. Let's assume that happened.

Next, people with an FX3 and who use more FullRes files than can fit into a FX3 Mk II, would have to carry around an external drive, either a thumb drive or SDD, plus an adapter from USB-B to whatever will mate with their storage unit, just so the FX3 can dynamically pull across the IRs that don't fit in the bank? And, it's supposed to do it in a fraction of the time that a preset loads, or a scene changes? Ok, we'll assume that happens.

If they forget or break the drive or its file system gets corrupted or the cable breaks, and, because they're not connected to a computer, and the IRs aren't resident in the memory, the user will blame themselves? Or Fractal? We'd hope they'd blame themselves but the reality is, they'd blame Fractal for having violated the standard and implemented their design using backwards cabling.

It's more realistic that a future FAS device could implement USB-C connections and provide power, along with the necessary OS stack, but, by then, the internal memory will probably have doubled, making it a non-issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom