allan holdsworth tone

I'm sure the manual would explain it, if you could find it online somewhere

If not, I know someone who has one

i found the manual online - TAP Control Sets the timing for when the delayed sound is taken from the delay loop. The value of the parameter is expressed as a per- centage of the delay time setting.

so if the delay time setting is 500ms and the tap time is set to 50%, then the delayed sound will arrive at 250ms, presumably. i guess it's just a way of easily setting the times for all 8 delays as a percentage of the master delay time.

i found the manual online - TAP Control Sets the timing for when the delayed sound is taken from the delay loop. The value of the parameter is expressed as a per- centage of the delay time setting.

so if the delay time setting is 500ms and the tap time is set to 50%, then the delayed sound will arrive at 250ms, presumably. i guess it's just a way of easily setting the times for all 8 delays as a percentage of the master delay time.

Sounds similar to the way the Quad-tap delay block works in our multi-delay. Since there are two of those available you could combine two to equal the 8-tap delay in your Yamaha thingamajig.

interesting....just looking through the ud patch list and the last one that allan did is called "Single Source Point Stereo Microphone + Echos" where he has a two delays with very short times mixed at a high level, panned left and right and one of them is phase reversed. there was always something about allan's recent sound i couldn't put my finger on and it was the spread that he was getting....and i think this is it. i tried it with two parallel mono delays which sounds good, but boosts the level of the patch something crazy, but you can also duplicate it with the enhancer as well (and ohase reverse one side). i'll look into this more...it really adds something...

I'm sure the manual would explain it, if you could find it online somewhere.
I already added all of that on the previous page ;)
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-std-recordings/26978-allan-holdsworth-tone-6.html#post616088
Anyway, great we're coming to the same conclusions.

AdamCook said:
Sounds similar to the way the Quad-tap delay block works in our multi-delay. Since there are two of those available you could combine two to equal the 8-tap delay in your Yamaha thingamajig.
If Simeon was right, I believe he already ruled that out. Anyway, you guys know the delays better than me...
I only know the UD Stomp has 8 completely independent delay lines, hasn't it? And therefore only the 2 Band Delays can come to the rescue if many lines are used, it just doesn't have all the features (like TAP [& predelay] & phase inverter per line).

Last edited:
the last one that allan did is called "Single Source Point Stereo Microphone + Echos" where he has a two delays with very short times
What do you think of the importance of the 2 delay times? (5.25 & 5.48ms)
Not that important, or if yes (I would suppose so): did you use something like this tip to apply a difference of 0.23ms (like 5 & 5.23, or even get both of them exact)?
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra...look-ahead-precise-sub-millisecond-delay.html
-

I have all presets semi-ready :) Still need to hear them and put some ok-ish amp sounds in.
I also came across a Pan Parameter setting of "L0.0" in the Stereo Enhanced Lead Solo Patch 8. I suppose they also mean "C" (center) with that...(?)

What do you think of the importance of the 2 delay times? (5.25 & 5.48ms)
Not that important, or if yes (I would suppose so): did you use something like this tip to apply a difference of 0.23ms (like 5 & 5.23, or even get both of them exact)?
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra...look-ahead-precise-sub-millisecond-delay.html
-

I have all presets semi-ready :) Still need to hear them and put some ok-ish amp sounds in.
I also came across a Pan Parameter setting of "L0.0" in the Stereo Enhanced Lead Solo Patch 8. I suppose they also mean "C" (center) with that...(?)

I don't think the actual times are that important. I just used 6ms and 5ms

I've heard from a "Holdsy" style friend of mine who had already heard of the guy, that he wants to make money off of anything, and that he's sounding more like Frank Gambale than Holdsworth anyway :mrgreen
I just hope he didn't just copy our board's efforts with a little tweak here.

I just found this thread, and being a Holdsworth fan, I was looking forward to hearing what these presets might offer, especially from such talent as simeon, whose own tones and productions are quite noteworthy. However, after downloading simeon's presets, I cannot get any sound despite seeing the preset on Axe-edit and the Ultra. I have downloaded other presets without experiencing this problem, so I thought I'd better check here to see what I might be doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

I just found this thread, and being a Holdsworth fan, I was looking forward to hearing what these presets might offer, especially from such talent as simeon, whose own tones and productions are quite noteworthy. However, after downloading simeon's presets, I cannot get any sound despite seeing the preset on Axe-edit and the Ultra. I have downloaded other presets without experiencing this problem, so I thought I'd better check here to see what I might be doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like it is using a user cab?
check what is in the cab. I don't know which patch you are referring to.

Jens

No user cabs in these patches. Check the volume block - it usually has external 1 attached.

Thanks, simeon, that was it. After I bypassed the volume block the sound was there. Is this set for a user volume pedal? Thanks again for sharing the presets and, hopefully, there might be more you can share in the future, as I also really enjoy your own creations very much.

thanks tom. yes, the volume was tied to external 1, which is the external i always use for volume. if the axe doesn't see anything connected to external 1, it can set the value to zero, which is why you weren't hearing anything. if you're using a volume pedal, then just change external 1 in the volume block to whatever number you're using. there a a few patches in this thread, i think. worth trawling through the whole thing to find them. i also put the multidelay blocks based on allan's UD Stomp settings in the mother of all pedal emulations thread - for clean, lead and swell.

sim

Back
Top Bottom