allan holdsworth tone

absolutely.

i've been taking a break from it, as i seem to be going round in circles at the moment. i've tried all the mesa and fas lead models and some seem to have the right tonal balance, but others seem to have the right feel and sponginess. i can't seem to get both in the same model. usa leads 1 and 2 have the right eq characteristics, but are very "hard". fas lead 2 is pretty nice, feel wise and has the "fuzziness" around the edges and the spongyness, but i can't get it to sound right. so i'm chillin for a bit, before i end up going crazy... :)

btw - here's the UD Stomp patch list that contains all of allan's settings. just rig up two quad tap delays in parallel to the dry path (100% mix) and copy the settings.

http://www.simeonharris.co.uk/misc/udstomp.pdf

the clean swell patches are lovely. i used a ud stomp for a while and when i moved to an eclipse, i copied some of these settings and they worked really well. already duplicated a couple in the axe.

Thank you Simeon for that list ! I just made a great authentic Holdsworth chorus swell preset - super :)

ok, so here's a patch using USA lead 1

tonally, i think it's pretty good (compared to the little clip of You Came Along from 40 reasons)

there's something a bit "greasy" about the feel though, imo. i can't explain it better than that, i'm afraid, but it just doesn't feel good to me. i'm also working on one that uses FAS Lead 2 and this has a better feel, but too much bottom end, which i can't seem to kill off without hurting the amp response. i'd love to try this on a II with the better poweramp modelling, i bet you could get really close...!

clip for comparison...

patch attached

don't forget to lower the guitar volume a tad and roll back your tone control a bit too

sim

I think that is very close! You are not him, using his strings and his guitar.
Great work!

Jens

Hi Simeon
I have a question concerning Holdsworths 8 voice chorus swells. As far as I can see on the Ud patch list, he uses chorus times up to 4-5 sec. and the Axe is only capable of 50 ms. on the quad.
Therefore I had to put a delay after to get the sound to stay longer, how du you compensate for that ?

Torsten

Very close but I think the reverb is too long or big, of course you can have as much reverb as you like, I'm just saying compared with the clip.

Hi Simeon
I have a question concerning Holdsworths 8 voice chorus swells. As far as I can see on the Ud patch list, he uses chorus times up to 4-5 sec. and the Axe is only capable of 50 ms. on the quad.
Therefore I had to put a delay after to get the sound to stay longer, how du you compensate for that ?

Torsten

i don't know where you're getting 4-5 seconds from...he doesn't use times that long. here are the fx blocks i made up for lead, clean and swell..

http://www.simeonharris.co.uk/misc/UD.zip

there are two blocks for each...drop them into the "effects" folder inside the "axe edit" folder in your workspace and then you can call them up from the editor when you load a multidelay block

place one block either side of the main line in parallel, like this...

paralleldelays.jpg

sim

Last edited:
Very close but I think the reverb is too long or big, of course you can have as much reverb as you like, I'm just saying compared with the clip.

well that's just taste, as you say, but it does tend to sound a bit less when in context with other instruments

i'm sure he's changed his delay times since using the ud stomp, anyway, but they're in the ballpark and they're easy to tweak.

sim

Hi Simeon

Torsten

A 4-5 second delay would no longer be a chorus. It would be a modulated delay. You can do those with the delay block.

A 4-5 second delay would no longer be a chorus. It would be a modulated delay. You can do those with the delay block.

Depends on the church :mrgreen the origin of chorus, chior, delay, reverb, church, you get it by now, how do i stop this thing, i have no brakes, found it.

Hi Simeon

Torsten

don't forget that allan creates his chorus sound using 8 modulated delays in parallel. you need to use two multidelay blocks in parallel to achieve this. see the UD.zip i linked to.

You are right :) I mistaked the the two quad delays with two quad chorus. But it actually sounds great - try it !

Now I will try your Ud.zip - thank you !

I've started work on redoing the UD Stomp presets again for the II... :mrgreen Not sure if and when I'll finish 'em, but anyway...

Last time, I skipped a few presets because of the TAP parameter.
Does anyone know if it corresponds to something we can do in the Axe delays?

Is it the tempo parameter? See example of the "25.4" TAP value converted to "1/4", which would be close.
Or is it something else entirely that is not possible with the Band Delays, but perhaps with another delay type?

Last edited:
I think "tap" is equivalent to "head 2 ratio" in the Axe II tape mode or the second example here for multidelay, the opposite of what a pre-delay would do: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-wish-list/44854-pre-delay-delay-block.html#post588566 ...if feedback was being used. With 0 feedback there's no need to use either of those modes; it's just (total time) x (tap %) = actual time. So about 8, 3, 5, 6 ms for the first 4 delays listed there. (Maybe this was done to get finer time adjustment than what's possible with tap at 100%.) But if you had feedback on the line, a 25% tap on a 32 ms line would produce repeats at 8, 40, 72, 104 ms...

I think "tap" is equivalent to "head 2 ratio" in the Axe II tape mode or the second example here for multidelay, the opposite of what a pre-delay would do: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-wish-list/44854-pre-delay-delay-block.html#post588566 ...if feedback was being used. With 0 feedback there's no need to use either of those modes; it's just (total time) x (tap %) = actual time.
I'm with you here.

So about 8, 3, 5, 6 ms for the first 4 delays listed there.
Here I'm not following... 25% of each delay time would be about 8, 6, 10 and 12, no?

(Maybe this was done to get finer time adjustment than what's possible with tap at 100%.)
Possibly, but it seems there are a few quite low times in the preset listing though, e.g. 5 ms (unless I overlooked it's another effect mode or something).
OTOH, every instance where TAP parameters are not 100%, there is 0% feedback used (well, in the Alan presets at least).
If I look at the "reverb" presets, it makes more sense they might be using it to get very small delay times, but then it's still weird why they would use the TAPs in the mentioned case here... Possibly original settings from Alan where he changed his mind, or thought it sounded better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom