allan holdsworth tone

you taking both outs from the axe to separate channels in your daw? if you are, you need to pan them hard left and hard right.

sim

which holdsworth sound, though? it's different on almost every album!

Yep always different, even when I've seen him live from one day to the next it's a little different. There's a clearness in his tone that we're missing that gives more dimension. I can't explain it though thus the reference to the difference between a kazoo and a horn.

Thank you Simeon, for some reason it does not download to my Axe, I can download other patches, but these are not downloading. Any ideas? I really like this thread by the way, and you have created some very awesome tones, I just don't understand why the midi in lights up on the front of my Axe, but the patch does not change. I was told that older patches, 6 months or older would not download due to the site changes, but these are not that old, correct?

Thanks for your time,
Ed

well these are a few months old now, but i uploaded them again after the forum migration, so they shouuld be ok. i think other people have had some success with them. pm me you email addy if you like and i'll send them that way instead

sim

Hmm... does these work with new axe-edit and 11.0 firm?
Can´t open them...

EDIT: Sorry my bad, IT WORKS
Thanks for this!!!

Last edited:
yeah, don't forget that they are fx blocks and should be dropped into your "effects" folder in your workspace. you can then recall them using right-click in the editor.

sim

Simeon, yes, I tried importing these in and I get the error message. When I go to Recall>Import From Preset File > select preset file.

I did figure out that I had my effects stored in the the wrong effects folder. When I upgraded to the latest version of Axe Edit it created a new effects folder within the Workspace folder and that's where I needed to have all the effect blocks.

Anyone converted for the axe 2?

Trying to copy the settings in axe edit to the 2 and not sounding quite right, basically a little thin and TOO much delay. Magoga? Anyone? Thanks in advance!

You talking about the delay blocks or the full patch? The delay blocks need to be in parallel. Set how much delay you want with the level control in each block. If you're talking about the full patch, then I can't help you I'm afraid, I'm still on the Ultra.

been working on another patch...getting there...

sorry i'm such a hack...

btw - i changed the strings on my guitar from 10's to 9's for a bit and i noticed that it made a massive difference to the "bloom" - very positive.

allan uses 8's, so that might go some way to explaining the huge amount of harmonic leaping that goes on in his sound. the clip above is recorded with 10's...i went back. sounded great with 9's though...also helped to tame the low frequencies as well.

sim

been working on another patch...getting there...

sorry i'm such a hack...

btw - i changed the strings on my guitar from 10's to 9's for a bit and i noticed that it made a massive difference to the "bloom" - very positive.

allan uses 8's, so that might go some way to explaining the huge amount of harmonic leaping that goes on in his sound. the clip above is recorded with 10's...i went back. sounded great with 9's though...also helped to tame the low frequencies as well.

sim

yeah sounds really really close man!!! Sweet!

thanks man. still too much gain, too much bass and not enough upper mids, i think....i'll keep going...

Back
Top Bottom