Allan Holdsworth presets v11

i did try the recto 1 orange, but couldn't seem to get any closer. why not drop it into the Y slot and see what you can do with it? :)

actually the recto 2 orange and usa lead brt + are quite similar, but the recto has way more bottom end. the only other significant difference i can find in the advanced parameters, is that the recto has damping set to 5 and the usa has it set to 6.5. if you change the damping from 6.5 to 5 in the usa, there is a nice, but subtle, change in the tone. worth trying to see if you like it.

Last edited:
Hey Simeon, is the lead patch really noisy for you? It sounds fantastic, especially with vol. and tone rolled back as you suggest, but there's so much amp noise in it for me that I'm thinking it needs to have a gate added.

No not noisy here. I'll do a little recording with it tomorrow, so you can hear how it sounds for me.

here's a quick demo

i've updated the lead preset, as i wasn't happy with the cabs. i changed from the old marshall G12 and V30 cabs to the new basketweave green and tv mix cabs. i've updated the original link with the new preset

(solo starts at 00:40)

this preset is now really similar to the tone which allan used on the "truth in shredding" album from which this little loop is lifted

Last edited:
here's a quick demo

i've updated the lead preset, as i wasn't happy with the cabs. i changed from the old marshall G12 and V30 cabs to the new basketweave green and tv mix cabs. i've updated the original link with the new preset

[mp3]http://www.simeonharris.co.uk/misc/holdsy11_demo.mp

this preset is now really similar to the tone which allan used on the "truth in shredding" album from which this little loop is lifted

Wow Simon it sounds fantastic - really nice feel for playing too..amazing. I love this fat Rocksounds. You haven't got any Lukather Gary Moore sounds? I've downloaded The Rosana Tone of Cooper, but it is with FW 9 or 10 and somehow sounds a bit fuzzy.

no sorry, my obsession is purely limited to AH i'm afraid. the rest of the time, i'm developing my own stuff

Well Simon, that's OK - it's fantastic the sounds You make and I love AH too - it was only a thought, as You do this very well, also the Big Intro - I love it. AH did in the seventies an album with a Jazz-Drummer (was it Miles Daivid? no I think it was somebody else) I loved love his Solos an this LP. Thanks again for the preset :encouragement:

here's a quick demo

Wow, wow, wow! Great "truth in shredding" tone. Did you play the bass and drum parts too? :encouragement:

Do you have a similar preset for AH's "One Of A Kind" tones from his Bruford days?

IOW - please Sir Simeon, ... may I have some more"? ;)

you may be thinking of "Believe It" with Tony Williams. superb album.

Or ... he may be thinking of Expresso I or II with Pierre Moerlen! Are we missing anyone Sir Simeon? ;)

EDIT: ... or maybe not ... based on his post above. ;)

Last edited:
Wow, wow, wow! Great "truth in shredding" tone. Did you play the bass and drum parts too? :encouragement:

Do you have a similar preset for AH's "One Of A Kind" tones from his Bruford days?

IOW - please Sir Simeon, ... may I have some more"? ;)

no, the backing was lifted off the cd...i edited and looped the first section

not really interested in those early tones, to be honest...i much prefer his 90's tones...much nicer to my ears...

no, the backing was lifted off the cd...i edited and looped the first section

not really interested in those early tones, to be honest...i much prefer his 90's tones...much nicer to my ears...

Understood - I personally love his Bruford tones (on One Of A Kind at least, but not so much on Feels Good To Me) - but that's one nice thing about being human - we all like so many different things for so many different reasons. :encouragement:

That being said ... thanks for the presets Sir ... they are wonderful (judging from the fine tones in your mp3 clip).

Can't wait to take them for a test spin this weekend.

I read somewhere that AH had a custom wired strat with humbuckers back in the Bruford days that he had to sell. Lost tone? :(

I read somewhere that AH had a custom wired strat with humbuckers back in the Bruford days that he had to sell. Lost tone? :(

i think he used that guitar a lot. it had a neck humbucker in the bridge position, if i remember rightly

really digging the tone with the greenback/tv mix.

one tip - the rectos have a "comp" value up around 70%, but the usa lead has it at zero. if you want to make a small adjustment, try putting the comp at about 30%. it makes it slightly easier to play if you're using a lot of legato, without squishing it too much

Here's my current lead patch, which is highly modeled after Allan's tone (particularly the Sixteen Men of Tain sound). I play on a Carvin AH Fatboy, so I'm pretty content with how this sounds. Now the goal wasn't to completely copy his sound (which is always changing through the years, anyway), but create something that works very well for me and draws inspiration from Allan's sound.

View attachment Lead.syx

Ext 1 is volume, Ext 2 is Wah (with auto engage), Ext 3 is Delay input gain.

Scene 3 has a Pitch block with 8va blended into the original note, and Scene 4 has a Road Games like pitch shift (but not exact), which is up a major 2nd and up a perfect 5th.

Edit: I just noticed that Scene 2 has nothing different from Scene 1. Usually I have Scene 2 with the Multidelay on, which is what I use for volume swells.

Thanks, Simeon, for your patches! The swell delay in my lead patch (in fact, all of my patches) started from your settings in the Swell patch in this thread (tweaked to taste).

Back
Top Bottom