Allan Holdsworth patches v13.07

Hey guys, here's 3 Allan Holdsworth patches I created with the help of the Yamaha MagicStomp. I used all of the exact settings for the most part. I used an A/B pedal listening and making sure it was dead on as well. In edition I did a tone match of his direct sound from an audio file for the lead patch. This is the closest lead sound of his I've ever heard. I spent about 25 hours duplicating all the Holdsworth patches from the MagicStomp. If you would like the rest of the patches, 30 in all, please stop by my website, derrylgabel.com and send me an email. While you're there check out my music and instructional DVDs. Thanks!
Axe-Change - Download Preset - AH Leadv5 - by derrylgabel
Axe-Change - Download Preset - AH Chorus1 - by derrylgabel
Axe-Change - Download Preset - AH Volume Swell4 - by derrylgabel

For the Lead tone, be sure to have the tone knob on the guitar set to 5.

Last edited:
Simeon, I can't seem to load your patches from my Win 7 machine using either Axe Edit or Bome's Send SX, are you sure these aren't corrupted somehow? I get no name or any blocks whatsoever and I have tried multiple times. I know some have gotten them to work some haven't. I can get all of Derryl's to load, just not yours.

Hi Derryl, thanks for your patches!
I have tried them. Somehow I like the simple ones without the Amp or ToneMatch blocks (AH Chorus1 and AH VP Swell) the most. Also like the AH lead sound for recording. Not sure how this last one translates to live use.

threadjack.gif

;)
:roll:?:(

Oh okay, I get it, so someone is nice enough to share several of their Allan Holdsworth patches on an Allan Holdsworth patch thread and in your universe, you consider that "Threadjacking"?

It was a joke. Take a chill pill...
I'm glad to hear that. It wasn't my intention to offend anyone and when I initially saw your post I thought that I did. Hope you guys are enjoying the patches. Since I'm a big fan of Holdsworth, these patches are like gold to me and I was excited about sharing these with you all. I suppose I could have left them on a separate thread but didn't want you guys to miss it.
Peace

I really like your patches Derry, but it IS a little like hijacking to post it on someone else's thread where he is himself offering Holdsworth patches. It might be a little bad netiquette manners. But all's good.

I really like your patches Derry, but it IS a little like hijacking to post it on someone else's thread where he is himself offering Holdsworth patches. It might be a little bad netiquette manners. But all's good.
That viewpoint certainly deserves credence. Certainly with abundant respect to Simeon, another point of view might be that the general thread title of "Allan Holdsworth Patches v13.07" as opposed to "My Allan Holdsworth patches" might be ambiguously construed as a catchall thread dedicated to "anyone's" Allan Holdsworth patches created in firmware version 13.07. I know that many, myself included, consider Allan Holdsworth to be a masterful musician, and this forum is a great resource for Axe Fx II owners who are interested in accessing some of Holdsworth's sounds.

So Kudos to BOTH Simeon and Derryl for their time in setting up these patches! I'm grateful to both of these guys for their work, not to mention the player behind them!

having had a bit more time to play with my patches, i can suggest a couple of tweaks that i think make them a little better.

using a fender cab on the clean sounds helps to bring out a little more "chime"

i also made a mistake thinking the presence control had to be on 10 to replicate the triaxis, but it needs to be on 5. so reduce it to 5 and also reduce the bright knob to -8

i'll try and do a demo over the weekend so you can hear how they sound to me

I dunno. The clean with just the black cab, and suggested amendments, is okay. The lead has a lot of gain noise in it; I had to turn the threshold and ratio to -78/2 to get it to be quiet. The main thing is there's a lot of gain fizz, even with T and V pots down half-way. At least on my guitar.....the bridge pickup isn't way hot...... Switching to just the basketweave green mix cuts it in half, but it's still much more than I've heard on any H recording.....well, cos there ain't none on those.

That viewpoint certainly deserves credence. Certainly with abundant respect to Simeon, another point of view might be that the general thread title of "Allan Holdsworth Patches v13.07" as opposed to "My Allan Holdsworth patches"...

I'd think someone would want to create their own post so that the patches got due recognition, and nobody got confused in talking about them.

The lead has a lot of gain noise in it; I had to turn the threshold and ratio to -78/2 to get it to be quiet. The main thing is there's a lot of gain fizz, even with T and V pots down half-way. At least on my guitar.....

not here. it's completely quiet and no fizz at all...at least with pres on 5 and bright on -8. sweet as a nut. i'll do a recording later so everyone can hear how it sounds to me.

The lead has a lot of gain noise in it; I had to turn the threshold and ratio to -78/2 to get it to be quiet. The main thing is there's a lot of gain fizz, even with T and V pots down half-way. At least on my guitar.....

Yes same here. Had to use high treshold to get rid of the noise. Still a very nice sound.

hmmm...very strange...it's almost silent for me. i have my input gain set on 49% in the globals...is yours any different?

added a crappy demo to the original post. hopefully you can hear how fat the lead tone is. i think i had my tone control a little too far off, but it still sounds good to me

added a crappy demo to the original post. hopefully you can hear how fat the lead tone is. i think i had my tone control a little too far off, but it still sounds good to me

Fantastic tone.

P.S. Input Level in I/O should not matter.

hmm...yes you're right, thinking about it. i don't know why those other guys are getting loads of noise...

i've been doing some a/b comparisons in logic with various selections of allan's lead playing and i think my tone is slightly too bassy and needs more upper mids. i've made a couple of tweaks to the eq and it sounds even better. i think i'll upload an updated patch. for info i used the mesa eq in the amp block and raised 2200 by 3db and cut 240 by -2.5db. i also raised bright knob to -6

here's what the new one sounds like

Back
Top Bottom