All of a sudden, Expression pedals stop working mid song, axe fx skipping/cutting out

There is definitely an improvement in 19b2. Prior to this version, I could reproduce this extremely quickly. I would guess, I could reproduce this problem in under 20 seconds in 18.12. With the new firmware it's significantly harder for me to reproduce. I just spent about 10 minutes working on this and only had it fail once.

Sounds like they are fixing a timing/race condition issue with the midi signaling to me. I'm not sure if I'll hit this under normal conditions like before. Right now, in order to trigger the problem, I'm basically spamming through presets. Maybe they can tweak the fix a little more to get rid of it entirely. Totally guessing here.

Ok Matt, here goes...

1. Axe FX II on latest Beta FW, MFC up to date
2. I've tried this with Ethercon, standard CAT5, and also tried changing cables
3. I've tried this with ALL other equipment disconnected, including USB (so no Axe Edit shennanigans at play) and RAC12
4. I've tried reflashing the MFC
5. I've checked all cables from Expression to Axe and tried changing one out
6. I've tried the bank change suggestion from Gary from a few posts back
7. I've tried recalibrating pedals
8. I've tried rebuilding patches from scratch - this is doing this on factory as well as my own patches.

It's a little hard for me to pinpoint when this issue would have manifested, as I made a jump from FW8 to 18 (yes, I know, I know....) and updated the MFC at the same time. This had never happened, even once, before the update, and is now happening more often than not. I've had it happen during a gig as well, on changing preset, and there was no rapid changes or flicking up and down, just a single button preset change, at the end of a song, and it happened then too. I changed to another preset and then back again, from the MFC, and all was well again.

Here's a video from just now showing what's happening. Excuse the hairy legs and stained shorts - I'm not a dirty old man (well, I'm not old), I'm gardening and took a break from chopping up stuff to take this quick video - I hope it helps!

Let me know if u need me to try anything else. Back to the garden :)

Toadfish, that's exactly what mine does as well. Strangely it had actually stopped doing it before I upgraded to 19.2 beta but it does it every time now.

Hi -

Has there been any progress on solving this issue. I just experienced this at rehearsal yesterday preparing for a big gig. I did not update any FW on either the Axe Fx II or MFC (v. 17 and latest MFC before new upgrade - have not upgraded either past that yet). Everything had been working normally before. Using volume blocks and Boss FBV 500.

Would love to hear of any solutions!

Thanks!

Hi -

Has there been any progress on solving this issue. I just experienced this at rehearsal yesterday preparing for a big gig. I did not update any FW on either the Axe Fx II or MFC (v. 17 and latest MFC before new upgrade - have not upgraded either past that yet). Everything had been working normally before. Using volume blocks and Boss FBV 500.

Would love to hear of any solutions!

Thanks!

Just wanting to chime in and say I've been having similar problems as of upgrading to FW18. I'm using the AXE 2 Mark I and MFC Mark I.

I found that if this occurs, I need to go into setup and recalibrate the expression pedal min and max on the board, then it works again.

I'd love for this to be fixed! First I'll update the board's FW and see..

Has anyone solved this problem - or are we all just working around it. I am on FW19 and have this same issue....plus also a weird issue where quickly changing through banks (I used a bank size of 5) the MFC will quickly scroll through a batch of banks and end up on preset 000 ?

I'll join the waiting line here. Hopefully a solution is known?

Just an hour ago my pedals stopped working as well.
Tried recalibrating, but no response from the pedals apart from them maxing out (126/127) when starting the procedure. Pulling the cables from the MFC xp sockets set values to 000.

Rebooted the Axe and MFC, changed presets, but no change in behavior.

Axe fx II mk1 fw Q1.06
MFC101 mk1 fw 3.08
Connected through ethercon/cat 5.

I haven't experienced this problem again since a fix in the pre-20'ish releases. I used to be able to reproduce this easily, but can't anymore.

When you move the pedal up/down do you see the midi in lights on the AXE light up? If so, it's receiving data. Maybe the pedals aren't mapped properly anymore on the axe?

Managed to get things working again. Pulled and reseated the cables. After that I was able to recalibrate.

I've been experiencing some similar issues and haven't found a fix yet.
Here's my setup:
Axe FX II - Original with Quantum 3.02
MFC-101 Mark III with v3.08
(2) Mission SP1-R Expression Pedals (Pedal #1 for a variety of control, Pedal #2 strictly wah)
Polarity switch on SP1-R is in the default position
Recently I was working on my presets using Axe Edit and I noticed the parameters in the 'Mixer' block that I use in most of my presets were shifting up and down erratically without any input from the expression pedal. My initial thoughts were that i needed to recalibrate the pedal. While calibrating the pedal, I could only achieve a minimum setting of around 40 in comparison to pedal #2 which calibrates to a minimum of zero. Subsequently, when I calibrated pedal #1 again, the minimum was much lower, close to zero. The point is the calibration process can be inconsistent.

I cleaned and checked all the cables. Powered on/off the Axe FX and recalibrated once again. This time it seemed to work properly. Finally, during last night's gig, everything seemed to have locked up in the 'toe down' position. I quickly recalibrated again between songs and then noticed the minimum setting fluctuating again without any input from the pedal. Shortly thereafter, I noticed a significant loss of level in all my presets. I finished out the last couple of songs with low levels and no pedal control.

This morning I checked everything out at home and it seems to be working normally. I'm stumped and we have another gig tonight. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

I'd check in order: the cables, the soldering joints in the pedals, the pedals potentiometers.

Thanks GiRa. I did check the cables with a cable tester. TRS of course. And I opened the pedal and checked all the soldered joints and sprayed electrical contact cleaner on the jacks, joints, and switches. I have no idea on how to check the potentiometer.

Probably a multimeter to check if the heel down and toe down position values are consinsten is enough.

If everything is OK (after multiple test) check for a ground loop: I had a ground loop on the expression pedals connected to my Liquid Foot because of the aluminum profile on the pedalboard flighcase.

I've got a multimeter at work. I'll give that a try Monday. I've got everything mounted on a NYC pedal board which is all wood and fabric, so I don't think I've got a ground issue. Everything seems to be working fine now. We're packing up for our gig tonight so I won't be able to check this thread until tomorrow.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom