All four cabs muted. Why do I still hear a quiet sound from the amp block?

Hamsworld

Inspired
This happens often. No parallel routings. The sound is getting louder when I turn up the masterlevel in the amp block. Don´t understand.

Edit: It´s the air parameter in Room/Air. When I turn it up I still hear a sound, even when all cabs are mudted. Is that intentional?

Yes. It's normal. The Air parameter mixes in a bit of the cab block's input signal so there's bleed through even when all the cabs are muted.
No - I’m not saying “What is the current behavior?” - that is as you describe it. I’m talking about the real world, where having all of your cabinets offline/muted, there wouldn’t be any sound to generate an ‘Air’ signal. I submit the behavior is wrong because of that.

• Haha
Reactions: J.C
No - I’m not saying “What is the current behavior?” - that is as you describe it. I’m talking about the real world, where having all of your cabinets offline/muted, there wouldn’t be any sound to generate an ‘Air’ signal. I submit the behavior is wrong because of that.
In all my years of playing I've never come across a real cab that had a mute switch either. Besides that, one has to beg the question, why the hell would you have all 4 cabs muted anyway? If you need to mute the output of the Cab block, set its bypass mode to Mute Out and bypass the block.

That's not a good argument. While in an extremely technical sense it's accurate, it is based on a situation that makes no sense in practical use. WHY would you turn off all the cabs and continue playing? So you could hear the strings only?

Even if you use an A/B/Y box in front of the Fractal, and the other side goes to a regular amp, the Fractal's output would be overwhelmed by the other system's sound.

That made my head hurt. I'm going to go sit on my porch and yell at the clouds.

The whole point of the AIR control is that it is bypassing the IRs. It would fundamentally make no sense if muting the IRs also muted the AIR signal.

The whole point of the AIR control is that it is bypassing the IRs. It would fundamentally make no sense if muting the IRs also muted the AIR signal.
the cab input signal is routed to a separate mixer bus where you can turn it up when your real cabs or IR slots are offline/muted. does that fix the situation?

if you want all IRs muted and the Air signal muted as well, bypass the Cab block.

In all my years of playing I've never come across a real cab that had a mute switch either. Besides that, one has to beg the question, why the hell would you have all 4 cabs muted anyway? If you need to mute the output of the Cab block, set its bypass mode to Mute Out and bypass the block.

I can live with that. No big deal. But when I compare and test IR´s, sometimes all cabs are muted. A normal situation for me, and then it´s a strange to hear a sound. I was wondering a long time whats wrong. Hard to know all the details. Thanks for the answers!

Reactions: J.C
I can live with that. No big deal. But when I compare and test IR´s, sometimes all cabs are muted. A normal situation for me, and then it´s a strange to hear a sound. I was wondering a long time whats wrong. Hard to know all the details. Thanks for the answers!
yup, your use case makes sense and the question is logical. the thread went another way, so many answers were addressing that, not necessarily your question thumbs

Air is a necessity in most of my presets with cab IRs. Almost universally I hear / feel something is "covered up" by most IRs. Introducing 10-12% of Air at 4500 seems to put it right for me.

when I compare and test IR´s, sometimes all cabs are muted. A normal situation for me, and then it´s a strange to hear a sound
I can understand that confusion but when testing and comparing IRs it makes sense to me to have nothing else contributing to the sound, and possibly polluting their sound. The time to turn on air is afterwards.

I can understand that confusion but when testing and comparing IRs it makes sense to me to have nothing else contributing to the sound, and possibly polluting their sound. The time to turn on air is afterwards.
For a Headphone-Player like me it´s important to have a little room on the sound (I LOVE the Axe for the Room-Parameters) to feel comfortable enough to assess a sound. Like I would test a real amp in a room. No big Reverb, no Delay, just the Amps and the Cab (and the headphone-correction curve :) and of course some of the great new compressor block to have that "real-amp"-feeling). But it would also make sense to judge a sound with all effects you will use for example in the mix. This is just my way to play and test IR´s. And I can understand your position too. And if you play with FRFR or Monitors etc. - thats again another talk. (And every Cowboy and -girl rides his own horse...). No big deal, like I said. In the end I´m so thankful for the air/room-options. Especially with a little compression from the new beta I´m a very, very happy guy with my sound.

Last edited:
For a Headphone-Player like me it´s important to have a little room on the sound (I LOVE the Axe for the Room-Parameters) to feel comfortable enough to asses the sound. No Reverb, no Delay, just the Amps and the Cab (and the headphone-correction curve :)) and of course. This is my way to play and test IR´s. If you record or play with FRFR or Monitors etc. - thats another talk. And every Cowboy and -girl rides his own horse.
I use headphones almost exclusively at home, so all my preliminary preset adjustments are done with them. Once I've settled on a particular sound then I remove the compensating headphone EQ, and start messing with the ambient adjustments.

The quiet sound of air

Animation Heart GIF by Gello Hoodbye

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom