All cabs sound thin

Matteodem

Is it just me, or all the cabs sound thin?
I tried most of them and the only one I like is the Rumble.
What I don't understand is that if I'm looking for a greenback tone (to be compared to say many videos with real mic'ed speakers) what I find is lack of bass and trebly tones with no body.
I add that I prefer dark tones

Thanks for your support

I'm not at home, so I can't post right now.
Anyway, I low cut from 70 and high cut from 6k (the same in the preamp with tube option).
It's not a dynacab, so I only move among IR with different mic/position. The all sound the same, with no body.
Usually I use 4x12 cabs

Try resetting your system settings... At least confirm that global Cabinet Modeling and Power Amp Modeling are enabled.

Also, if you're finding them to lack bass why on earth would you set Low Cut to 70Hz?

Try increasing Proximity.

Which amp models are you using?
Basically jp2c, slo and be100.
The only cab I found I like is the Rumble

A slight stereo width using various methods can thicken a sound nicely, but in mono I find rolling off some lo and hi and/or pumping mids a bit makes any sound thicker to my ear.

just for test. Please have a look at the preset attached, consider scene 1
the cab 2 is fine for me, while 1 is thin

Thanks

Attachments

• Triple Crown.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 13
No offense but that doesn't sound thin on my system, sounds muddy/dark. You have a double cut at 6Khz, once in the cab block and again in the cap preamp block.

EDIT: and -12 at 8K in the Output EQ. The high end sounds good compared to sound material on your system?

Reactions: Rex
just for test. Please have a look at the preset attached, consider scene 1
the cab 2 is fine for me, while 1 is thin

Thanks
I don't get it. Cab 2 sounds fine to you, but the problem is that all cabs sound thin?

No offense but that doesn't sound thin on my system, sounds muddy/dark. You have a double cut at 6Khz, once in the cab block and again in the cap preamp block.
This. The scenes sound a bit inarticulate, but there's no way I'd call them thin. I suspect you have cab modeling disabled.

EDIT: and -12 at 8K in the Output EQ. The high end sounds good compared to sound material on your system?
I tend to cut the high end also in the analog world. At least when I ply at home I prefer not to have those high frequencies.
Probably in a band contest and appropriate level it would be different, but this is not the case.

I just play at home and look for a warm full tone

This. The scenes sound a bit inarticulate, but there's no way I'd call them thin. I suspect you have cab modeling disabled.
If the cab modeling was disable, I should hear no difference changing the cab, right? This is not the case

I create this preset to show what sounds fine to me (scene 2) and what does not (scene 1). They differ only in the cab block.

First is Cab Channel B, second is Cab channel A. Neither have any energy above 6K. Seriously...I can't see anyway this preset would be described as thin without some type of downstream monitoring issue or a global setting issue.

1705264327238.png
1705264385843.png

I recommend the Dyna cab
1960 TV that is a Marshall w GB use a ribbon mic and pull it back about 8cm or move it around
Option to for instant gratification go to Axechange and get Leon Todd’s TV mix 7
That works great for many amp models

Back
Top Bottom