Ah...Patriots.

electronpirate

Axe-Master
So, it turns out that brilliant Bill could not do crap without the GOAT. It's always been my argument that Bill B was a losing coach until he was forced to start Tom Brady when Drew Bledsoe got hurt. After 2 games he was 'legendary' for drafting a 6th round QB. Sometimes you get lucky. I do not mean to run him down that much...he had created a culture of winning that had a legendary run.

In his defense, when Brady unceremoniously bailed on him, a few key players 'opted out' for Covid reasons. He didn't have that much to work with. Cam could not adjust. Josh McDaniels could not make lemonade.

But it still remains. The Bills released years of frustration tonight. The Patriots have a long hard road ahead of them, and I would not be a bit surprised to see Bill move on to another opportunity.

Yeah you did. Anyway it’s the NFL. It’s a giant corporation. If they were actually printing money they couldn’t make it as fast.

He's an excellent coach. He just hasn't had to really think about the offense for more than 5 minutes for the last 20 years. Protect Brady, get him some cheap weapons, buy defense.

Again, I can see him moving on. Or retiring.

Again, I can see him moving on. Or retiring.

It's not like he doesn't have enough money, but people like him have zero idea what they'd do if they did retire. Obviously I've never met him in person but he doesn't seem like the type of guy that goes fishing. My prediction is that he stays in NE until they fire him or he has a stroke, or they fire him and he coaches somewhere else until he has a stroke.

I don't see him doing the TV analyst thing, either. I just don't think he'd be able to put up with first-order show biz very well.

We'll see. Even HOF coaches have bad years. Cam is a lousy QB now. He never was particularly good at reading defenses but made up for it with his shear athleticism. Now his arm is gone and he's slower. Patriots also had 8 players opt out.

Eventually a team needs to rebuild and it appears that BB has thrown in the towel on this season and is loading up his "bank account". He'll go into next year's draft with a ton of picks and lots of cap space. He needs to find a good QB though. The good ones will go earlier in the draft than he has picks so he'll have to either gamble on a later pick or pick up a free agent like Stafford.

The three QBs the Patriots have are all terrible. Hoyer has never been more than backup quality and Stidham is a bust.

I laughed when they brought in the fashion genius to replace Brady. The next Versace? Maybe. The next Brady? No. I always told my co-workers:
Never bet against a Bill Bellichik coached team. That includes their first SB facing Curt Warner. I watched that game mentioned by electropirate. The
Jets and Parcells were having their way up to when Bledsoe mercifully got hurt. I'm a Jets fan, btw, and the game was broadcast back to
the N.Y. market. Brady came in and everybody's like--this game's over. I think that was at halftime. Not sure. I only remember the way Brady kept
frustrating the Jets and darn near brought the Pats back to victory. That was the start. Being a Giants fan first I always rooted for the Pats unless they
were playing a N.Y. team. This year comes as a shock, the way the Pats have played. Maybe they're playing for next year. Wouldn't surprise me. But
Bill leaving to greener pastures? Nah. That would really, really shock me.

They've avoided the cycle of rebuilding longer than anyone else. While they had Brady, they always had hope. It's pretty hopeless at this point, and I am happy seeing TB12 succeeding in an obviously difficult transition year in Tampa. In Patriot-like fashion, the Bucs seem to be rounding into shape right in time for the playoffs. Go get 'em, Tommy :)

I guess the Pats blew the fantasy chance of a New England-Tampa Bay Super Bowl. That would have been one for the story books.

It could be worse... he could be coaching the Eagles. Knocked out of playoff contention in the NFC East. The NFC East!

Last edited:
We'll see. Even HOF coaches have bad years. Cam is a lousy QB now. He never was particularly good at reading defenses but made up for it with his shear athleticism. Now his arm is gone and he's slower. Patriots also had 8 players opt out.

Eventually a team needs to rebuild and it appears that BB has thrown in the towel on this season and is loading up his "bank account". He'll go into next year's draft with a ton of picks and lots of cap space. He needs to find a good QB though. The good ones will go earlier in the draft than he has picks so he'll have to either gamble on a later pick or pick up a free agent like Stafford.

The three QBs the Patriots have are all terrible. Hoyer has never been more than backup quality and Stidham is a bust.

Truth. I did mention that many 'unceremoniously bailed'; about 6 good players.

Not sure about him being able to load up the account. His system was based on buy in from all players who generally took much less money than they could command on the market. Most of that was driven by Brady. He also brought a work ethic that permeated the building. Peyton had the same effect. I think unless he is able to find another leader who can create that same culture, then his system will most likely not work.

Cam was never a good choice. He has a decent arm, but a 10 cent head for decisions. They will shop him to see what they can get, but he won't be in the building next year unless he restructures.

BB has never had to 'develop' a QB. Brady came out of the mold ready to go (which NOBODY saw.). I do sort of hope that he continues since there might be a little bit of an asterisk on his name without Brady.

R

If I’m not mistaken, Cam is on a one year league minimum (or nearly so) deal, they will just release him.

He has never shown the ability to throw people open...even at Auburn. You can get away with that in decent college program, but it will catch you out quickly in the NFL...there’s a reason he was available as long as he was in the off-season. Lamar is basically Cam 2.0 but a better runner and look how quick it is catching him.

The Pats benefitted heavily from being the destination for vet ring chasers and TB restructuring.
This season Tampa became the ring chasers destination...TB’s impact was far more than his play.

Still, the hoodie deserves his place amongst the coaching pantheon. There may be some down time for pats fans, but I suspect it will be short lived.

Back
Top Bottom