Again- what's Cliff doing now?

I'd like to see Cliff try to work his own kind of profiling technology into the Axe FX. Maybe not in this iteration, but a future version.

The Axe FX has so many amp models, it makes sense that it would be able to create Uber-realistic amp models based on whatever it profiles.

Not saying it has to be done, but I think it would be a really good way to get some great presets fast without a lot of tweaking.

Just get the tone instantaneously, and then tweak further using authentic tone stacks, tube modelling, etc.

I hope it's something from this list:
- a second USB port for FM3 for flash drivers, to be able to update FW/IRs/backups, etc.
-an option to automatically mute the output if the signal goes over threshold defined by user or at least if there is a spike of 12-15dB over maximum preset volume;
  • scene/preset auto-leveling (basically the same feature as previous one, different usage)
  • an intelligent noise cancelling which will "learn" guitar's own noise and fully cancel it to battle the electricity in any venue for single coils

Other than that, I am set!

I was very interested by this first, but in the end … the thing is that a profile don’t have realistic tweaks. It is better to have the whole amp simulated than just a « picture » of a setting. Don’t know

Thinking of this, I wonder if he hasn't sued Kemper for their « liquid profiling » which ultimately doesn't happen(yet) 🤣. it's a Cliff patent rip off

Oh, I agree. I used a Kemper for many years, and the fact that I was always stuck with a sound someone else created always irked me.

That's not to say great tones can't be had out of the unit.

But what I was driving at was that if you look at some of the Kemper parameters after it is done profiling an amp, you'll often find that changing them in any way completely makes the sound artificial and unusable. There's just no scope to create your own tones with one if you can't profile well.

I kind of chalk that up to the device only having a limited set of parameters to modify. Don't hate me for this, but there was always a "characteristic" to the tone of the Kemper. It was present on all the profiles.

With the Axe FX, I imagine there are just so many more parameters that can be read by the device while profiling the amp so as to get something representative, but which could then be tweaked further in order to get tones similar to what you hear on records.

PS: I'm not Cliff, and he might not be able to make out anything from the way I'm faffing. But I've heard for example that the Quad Cortex does a pretty interesting job with profiling, and so does the ToneX pedal and software.

Maybe there's scope for a similar feature in the Axe FX, but done better.

@Piing The nylon simulation is really cool. But you need to had their midi system to your guitar. Without a midi system I doubt you can have it like that.

NO!! That is not MIDI. Many guitarists are confused with this concept. It is not pitch-to-MIDI triggering samples. It is modeling. Similar technology that the Axe-FX or any other modeler uses to model amplifiers, but it models guitars instead of amplifiers.

That misconception has been there since long time ago, and part of the blame is to Roland because they labeled their 13-pin cable as "MIDI cable". Yes, that cable can also be used with pitch-to-MIDI devices, but this is modeling (Roland calls it V-Guitar), there is no MIDI involved.

This is a good article:
How a GK MIDI Cable destroyed the success of Roland V-Guitar Modeling products

The Boss GM-800 or Roland GR-55 are MIDI. But the Boss SY-100, GP-10, Roland VG-99 are not MIDI, they are guitar modelers (although they have the additional feature of pitch-to-MIDI conversion to trigger external sound modules).

Now Roland/Boss has finally moved from the 13-pin cable to a "regular" cable with the new GK-5

Electro Harmonix has some guitar modeling experiments without the need of processing the 6 strings separately (MEL9, KEY9, SYNTH9, B9...). But the advantage of processing the 6 strings separately with a hex pickup is that you can use alternate tunings, and probably better modeling. BTW: Cliff said a while ago that he tried to purchase Electro Harmonix but he couldn't. That would have been an amazing fusion!

Last edited:
NO!! That is not MIDI. Many guitarists are confused with this concept. It is not pitch-to-MIDI triggering samples. It is modeling. Similar technology that the Axe-FX or any other modeler uses to model amplifiers, but it models guitars instead of amplifiers.

That misconception has been there since long time ago, and part of the blame is to Roland because they labeled their 13-pin cable as "MIDI cable". Yes, it can be used with pitch-to-MIDI devices, but this is modeling, not MIDI (Roland calls it V-Guitar)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14088.0

The Boss GM-800, Roland GR-55 are MIDI. The Boss SY-100, Roland VG-99 are not MIDI, they are guitar modelers

Now Roland/Boss has finally moved from the 13-pin cable to a "regular" cable with the new GK-5
Somewhere on the internet, Elantric is twitching :D

I hope it's something from this list:
- a second USB port for FM3 for flash drivers, to be able to update FW/IRs/backups, etc.
-an option to automatically mute the output if the signal goes over threshold defined by user or at least if there is a spike of 12-15dB over maximum preset volume;
  • scene/preset auto-leveling (basically the same feature as previous one, different usage)
  • an intelligent noise cancelling which will "learn" guitar's own noise and fully cancel it to battle the electricity in any venue for single coils

Other than that, I am set!
an intelligent noise cancelling which will "learn" guitar's own noise and fully cancel it to battle the electricity in any venue for single coils
Love this intelligent noise cancelling idea. I’ve also pondered with the idea of an intelligent wah. I love using the wah effect, but I think it’d be cool for some sort of algorithm to analyze the users wah patterns and produce a very close imitation without having to use the wah pedal in conventional fashion. I really don’t think my wah patterns vary in any significant way.

I think it’d be cool for some sort of algorithm to analyze the users wah patterns and produce a very close imitation without having to use the wah pedal in conventional fashion.
I guess if you're just doing wocka-wocka maybe that would be useful. :)

You could probably either set up an envelope Wah or assign an LFO and call it a day. That's currently possible...

I use the Wah as a method of morphing and accentuating what I play and definitely don't want that.

Even Kirk Hammet used the almighty VG-8. I don't know where the thrill has gone.

View attachment 124342

I'm totally with you that guitar modelling is the next step. You can use the Blue Cat Re-Guitar plugin, but it would be very cool to have Cliff's take on that. It seems only a step away from what we have. In the meantime, I've had good luck just using EQ by ear.

I'm totally with you that guitar modelling is the next step. You can use the Blue Cat Re-Guitar plugin, but it would be very cool to have Cliff's take on that. It seems only a step away from what we have. In the meantime, I've had good luck just using EQ by ear.
I used a shuriken Variax for plenty of live gigs with great success. I’m a fan of guitar modeling but to be perfectly honest, I could care less about guitar modeling, just give me the alternate tuning capabilities 😂😂

That misconception has been there since long time ago, and part of the blame is to Roland because they labeled their 13-pin cable as "MIDI cable". Yes, that cable can also be used with pitch-to-MIDI devices, but this is modeling (Roland calls it V-Guitar), there is no MIDI involved.

This is a good article:
How a GK MIDI Cable destroyed the success of Roland V-Guitar Modeling products

The Boss GM-800 or Roland GR-55 are MIDI. But the Boss SY-100, GP-10, Roland VG-99 are not MIDI, they are guitar modelers (although they have the additional feature of pitch-to-MIDI conversion to trigger external sound modules).

Electro Harmonix has some guitar modeling experiments without the need of processing the 6 strings separately (MEL9, KEY9, SYNTH9, B9...). But the advantage of processing the 6 strings separately with a hex pickup is that you can use alternate tunings, and probably better modeling. BTW: Cliff said a while ago that he tried to purchase Electro Harmonix but he couldn't. That would have been an amazing fusion!
Maybe you don’t get what I have said. With The gp10, you need to add a gk system in your guitar. Call it midi or not midi, but without this GK I doubt that you can have the same result with standard pickups. So it looks more than « modeling » to me . The best sounding banjo, acoustic etc are with a gk system. With the gk you can control a Korg keyboard too via….midi.

I doubt that without an external accessory you will have a saxophone with your guitar directly in the axe .

Maybe you don’t get what I have said. With The gp10, you need to add a gk system in your guitar. Call it midi or not midi, but without this GK I doubt that you can have the same result with standard pickups. So it looks more than « modeling » to me . The best sounding banjo, acoustic etc are with a gk system. With the gk you can control a Korg keyboard too via….midi.

I doubt that without an external accessory you will have a saxophone with your guitar directly in the axe .

The GP-10 internal sounds (different types of guitar, acoustic, jazz, bass, pickups...) are coming from guitar modeling, not pitch-to-MIDI (although it also has that additional feature to trigger an external MIDI keyboard). The need of the GK is to process (model) the six strings separately. Not only to allow alternate tunings, but for better quality of the modeling when playing chords.

Currently you cannot get a decent saxophone modeling a guitar. You need pitch-to-midi conversion to trigger a sampler, keyboard, PCM synth, etc

You can. With Jam Origin software that converts pitch-to MIDI using the regular pickups. No need of external accesory.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom