AFX2 as MIDI interface for MacOS?

Analog

Hi All.

There is at least one other thread here talking about "invalid" MIDI messages seen on a mac from the Axe. I think I am having the same issue. I just wanted to know if anyone has been successful at using the Axe as a MIDI interface on MacOS. Specifically for using other MIDI controllers down the chain.

For instance, I have tried connecting either a keyboard to the AxeFX or the MFC-101 to send notes and general control change messages respectively. In both cases Midi Monitor reports "invalid" messages. The messages themselves seem to have the right data - weather it be the notes / velocity / or the CC# but I cannot get the midi data into a DAW.

I can get another midi device - but it would be more convenient if I can use the Axe.
Here is some information about my setup:

Connections:
  • MFC --cat5-- AxeFx -- usb --MacBook
  • MFC FW: 3.08
  • AxeFX FW: Q7b2

AxeFX Midi Settings:
  • Midi Thru = off
    • Also tried this on - but it didn't seem to make a difference. I think having this on duplicated some messages
  • USB Adaptor Mode = on
  • Send realtime SysEx = off
  • All other midi settings default I believe.
MFC Midi / IA Settings:
  • IA switch 1:
    • AxeFX function off
    • CC #1
    • Channel #1
    • off = 0
    • on = 127
  • IA switch 2:
    • AxeFX function off
    • CC #2
    • Channel #1
    • off = 0
    • on = 127
  • Everything else default

Just started using the Axe as a midi device on my PC tablet.
All I had to do was turn USB adapter mode on and make sure the software I was using was setup for the Axe midi ins and outs.
By default they were off.
Not sure why it would be different on a mac.

Yeah as I understand it it should be the same as well. Just need to find out if there's a bug with the driver, the OS or if I'm doing it wrong. If someone else is using downstream midi devices on a mac using the axe, then at least I know it should work.

I made a simple midi standalone application in JUCE today. Trying to read the MFC 101 messages I get an 'Assertion failure in juce_MidiDataConcatenator.h'.

What's interesting is that after that assertion gets thrown, I get the Midi Controller values from the MFC-101. In Ableton Live, the midi channel never receives any message. My thought is that they must cancel the midi message if any exception is thrown.

I'm guessing that there is an extra byte used in the Midi Message? I'm sure that Midi 'works' because Axe-Edit communicates flawlessly.

My goal would be to make a standalone program to re-parse the midi messages from the MFC and resend them in a way Ableton Live can understand. I'll keep poking around, but if anyone has more knowledge on the Midi spec used, and why it doesn't seem to work with a Mac (specifically Ableton Live) I'd love to know more.

Last edited:
I have the exact same issue with my axe FX ii mk1, really trying to not need to use another interface for midi, I'll keep trying to solve the issue and share any new info I come up with.

I'm trying to send midi from my pod hd500x to control the axe FX as well as ableton/mobius.

I'm having a somewhat similar problem on my MBP 2015. I am sending expression pedal and switch messages from the MFC101 through the AXEFX and thru USB to the MBP. No matter what I send all I get in Cubase is CC#0 and a value of 0. It does show the correct MIDI channel though. I don't know what this means but if someone else does I'm all ears.

Just from looking around the forums - I think the answer to the thread is: NO! ;p. It's not supported or at least not functional. I don't believe the AxeFX can be used as a MIDI interface for Mac OS - other than the SysEX messages going to and from specifically developed apps like Axe Edit / Fractal Bot - and 3rd party ones like FracTool. I switched to a MOTU Ultralite interface for a MIDI port (overkill - but that's what I have lying around) and plugged the AxeFX into that. So now I can control Ableton session view from my MFC-101 using the IA switches pretty fun!

Apparently not, but why would it send these silly CC#O messages for everything? That's the weird part.

Back
Top Bottom