After playing a guitar with XXXX, I'll never go back

Stainless steel frets, compound radius neck, locking tuners that stagger to eliminate a string tree, a belly cut (lol), a forearm cut, modern hardware/bridge,/pickups, satin neck finish, durable modern body finish, and the entire build/fit/finish has to be top notch since guitars with those general specs are not cheap.

Anything with Suhr on it.

Yea, I own a Suhr Fireburst S4 that is my 'standard' for what a guitar should be. Better in every way than a lot of custom shop Fenders IMO at a much better price. Suhr's have set the general bar as far as pricing, top notch quality/materials, and bang for your buck, for me.

Let me twist the statement a little .....

After letting a band with Simon McBride (now a PRS official demonstrator) as their guitarist play a few songs with our gear during our break .... I never wanted to go back to play the second set!

I've become addicted to certain specs:
Strat-shape
24 frets, stainless
24.75" scale
Hardtail
Locking tuners
Thin necks
Pretty flat radius

So that's basically a 80's superstrat with a hardtail instead of trem + shorter Gibson scale.
Peavey Vandenberg, Kramer Nightswan and the likes...

No basswood ;)

Pre - 'pattern' shape PRS neck profiles is a big one for me. Pattern necks actually hurt to play after about 20 minutes of play time.

First tremelo system I ever had on a guitar was a Kahler Flyer on an early 80-something Aria Pro Knight Warrior. TOTALLY SUCKED.

Picked up an '84 Kramer Pacer Imperial with a real Floyd Rose and that sealed the deal for me. I'll never use any other tremelo system. Floyd is it for me.

Could almost say the same thing about 7 stringers vs sixxers. Unfortunately some of my favorite guitars don't come in 7's...yet.

I see alot of people like SS frets here. Im not sure i like them. I have them on my Suhr and the neck feels great, but i think they add some bright spiky high end zing that i dont like.

Stainless steel frets is certainly the biggest last innovation, better sustain, glassy bendings, never wear, stay shiny, never rust!

I've put them on all my strats, I mostly play Knopfkerish clean things and they don't change the sound, at least to my ears.

If Tom Anderson, Suhr, Charvel (Guthrie Govan), EVH (Van Halen love them and high en model are ss Frets equiped), Parker, MusicMan (oh man, just try the Cutlass!!) make them, I think that it's not bad for the tone ;)

And frankly, spending $400 for a maple fretboard refret is kind of super yacht maintenance equivalence, regarding the original price of average guitar. Stratocaster $1,200, and 30% additional cost each 5 years!!!

Some guys have made a petition for fender strats = google "Fender, we want stainless steel frets!"

Stainless steel frets is certainly the biggest last innovation, better sustain, glassy bendings, never wear, stay shiny, never rust!

I've put them on all my strats, I mostly play Knopfkerish clean things and they don't change the sound, at least to my ears.

If Tom Anderson, Suhr, Charvel (Guthrie Govan), EVH (Van Halen love them and high en model are ss Frets equiped), Parker, MusicMan (oh man, just try the Cutlass!!) make them, I think that it's not bad for the tone ;)

And frankly, spending $400 for a maple fretboard refret is kind of super yacht maintenance equivalence, regarding the original price of average guitar. Stratocaster $1,200, and 30% additional cost each 5 years!!!

Some guys have made a petition for fender strats = google "Fender, we want stainless steel frets!"

Do you have them on maple fretboard?

I'd have to say- there was a dark age of my guitar playing and then a newfound renaissance...

I got my first Mesa/Boogie amp...
I don't think I ever really played guitar until I got a Mesa

I just got my financial aid check and had cash- a guy had a Road King for sale for $1500 (They were worth $2000 at the time)
I offered him 1100 he told me to f myself...

Later that day he emailed me back $1200 cash today it's yours- and then I became a real guitar player.

Changed my outlook on sound and guitar and everything.

I can't live without my Axe Fx but I know if I take the Road King with me- I can handle anything...4 channels, modern/vintage sound, great cleans and leads and everything in between.

two things:
  1. 7 strings. i don’t spend a lot of time chugging in the low B, but it makes a huge change in my ability to play a lot more in one box, and it’s a lot of fun to play 80s metal unison rhythm parts an octave lower.
  2. fanned frets. i don’t think this would work well for people who wear their guitar below their belts, but i wear mine really high, so the ergonomic benefits are immediately useful. The difference between the tension and tone of a 25.5” and a 27” low B is immediately apparent.

Back
Top Bottom