Advice please on amp/cab combo for new Axe User

James Cullen

Inspired
Hi all,
Been lurking on this site for some time. Have ordered an Axe FX2 waiting from G66. I play in modern church (loud! Very rocky and powerful full range Nexo PA) The current on stage rig owned by my team-mate lead player is a Rocktron prophecy 11 with Marshall 50/50 and 2 Marshall 2x12. He's programmed some good sounds and I play through that when i'm on lead. Its pretty loud and the clean/crunch and lead settings are VERY good with an eventide timefactor for delay.
I have had a whole array of tube amps and pedalboards, and was pretty impressed with his rig when I first joined the P&W team last January. I have been wanting to have my own rig and need similar versatility so got interested in AFU and then got ported to AF2 waiting list with all my fellow Eurozone players.
My question. What would be the best monitoring situation for me. I like the amp/cab setup of my colleague. However the advantage of the AF2 is that it will go FOH and we will get a good sound there with the excellent gear we have and also our main sound guy is a professional mixer who does a lot of big shows all over the world including metallica!! However we like to have a good stage volume for guitar as well and its a big stage with good monitors and a drum enclosure. But I would like the feel of an amp with the feedback behind me. I would like FRFR so that we get a good range of sounds and the FOH issue being the same as the on-stage. I am tempted by the powered Atomic wedges?. Will 2 of these be powerful enough for my needs. Some songs are power ballads with clean sounds and la lead break. others are more full on. Should I look at the Matrix and 2x12 EV?

I guess I have to try it out, but time is an isue and i have to tweak it right for the room there and set and forget. The Atomic FR wedges look tempting?
Any thoughts for me

Thanks

James

I'd say go Matrix with a 2x12 cab. If the Ev's are your choice then use an Ownhammer IR to feed output 1 and send that to FOH, with output 2 feeding the amp/cab. Split descision on the Atomics, some people love em some people can't work with them. Plus the powered ones still need valves replacing etc. Maybe a halfway solution and go for the passives with the Matrix or even the highly favoured new EV cab, as they do a passive version easily available in the UK for a decent price.

I'd say go Matrix with a 2x12 cab. If the Ev's are your choice then use an Ownhammer IR to feed output 1 and send that to FOH, with output 2 feeding the amp/cab. Split descision on the Atomics, some people love em some people can't work with them. Plus the powered ones still need valves replacing etc. Maybe a halfway solution and go for the passives with the Matrix or even the highly favoured new EV cab, as they do a passive version easily available in the UK for a decent price.

Thanks man,
I guess I can try the Atomics and send them back to g66 if they don't cut it. I must say I've been well impressed by the Prophecy ii, but the lead sounds are a little mushy. The cleans are great. Hoping the Axe 2 will shine, but we will be doing some rigorous testing in the House. I'll try my Axe2 (if it ever comes soon before the Rapture lol) wit hte Marshall set up as well
Thanks for advice. I guess its horses for courses

James

id Say Matrix and 2x12 cab too.

My cab is loaded with a G12H aniversary and a V30. i get pleny of variation - though not as much as with the EVs.

its a weight/cost thing. the EVs will be twive the price of something nore normal (whatever you go for) and weigh a ton. If neither are an issue the EVs may be better.

Personally I used a Voodoo Valve with the MArshall power amp in the past, and the AFX/Matrix is better IMO. If the Matrix doesnt work for you and you want a valve power amp (again with the cost./weight issues), then a VHT 2:50:2 is MUCH better than the Marshalls.

Dont forget he has 2 cabs, so a single 2x12 wont sound as loud/room filling as your not pushing as much air. That said the EVs are very efficient speakers so who knows.

Oh - on the FOH thing, you can sent one Axe OP there (with cab sims), and one to the Matrix and cab (without cab sims) for the best of both worlds should you wish.

Thanks Guys
I can see that you are all big fans of the Matrix and amp/cab concept. I am now seeing similar threads on here with some strong opinions. There doesn't seem to be much love for the Atomics.
Could someone who uses Atomics also chime in? Surely 2 of the powered versions should give enough volume and feel! Weight and cost are an issue. I guess the Atomics ain't cheap either.

Back
Top Bottom