Advice on setting up a new patch

I'm wanting to set up my "go-to" stereo patch which will hopefully provide we with the following:

Scene 1: main sound Panned Left
Scene 2: main sound center
Scene 3: Main sound Panned Right
Scene 4-8: Main Sound with various filters/effects applied.

Currently, the patch looks sorta like this once it hits the "stereo" stage (forgive my crude drawing, I binned Axe edit when it crashed everything):

... DRV1 > AMP1 > CAB1 > FILT1 > GEQ1 > LOOPER > out
.............\ AMP2 > CAB2 > FILT2 > GEQ2 > > out
ignore the filters, I use them for a Lo-Fi sound

I have the Amps/Cabs panned left and right and the GEQ's are being used as a "kill" switch where they are both bypassed for scene 2 (Giving stereo), the 2nd is bypassed for Scene 1 (Left output only), and the first is bypassed for Scene 3 (Right output only) - if that all makes sense.

I have my MFC set up to do it all via scenes, but I'm having trouble with a few things.

1 - Is using scenes in this function to switch between a left/center/right stereo sound the best way when all thats available is the AXE FX ii & MFC 101? - could you recommend any other ideas for doing so? I quickly realized that bypassing everything on the "right" track ends up with a direct clean signal (Which I want to avoid).

2 - Is there a "Copy Block" function I can use to make a copy of my AMP/CAB 1 block and paste it to AMP/CAB 2? When I switch between my scenes, the right only sound seems different to the left only - somewhat weaker, yet the settings for all I can see are the same on both amps and cabs (barring the balance controls of course). Anything else you can think of that might cause this?? If it helps, I'm doing this prelim setup using headphones, will tweak the actual sounds at rehearsal later in the week - meaning that a possible copy/paste feature would be very useful once I've nailed it for one.

3 - Going out on a limb here, but I'm wanting to use the looper to a degree to emulate a second guitarist - we have one, but hes away for a while and were not going to get a fill in, however, I can play his lines and would be able to record/loop them live, but I'd like to - if at all possible - to have the looper set so that while it is playing the recorded loop, there's nothing but that recorded signal coming out of that side. One option I can think of would be to record the loop phrase while playing the song, then hit the play button, hit my "right only" channel and then in theory, the looper will spit out the recorded phrase on the left side while my continued playing/soloing/harmonizing will come out the right side and neither through the opposites. Does this sound about right or is there a better way to do this?

I went through the Wiki ages ago but theres a lot of presumed knowledge to it, most of us dont know what it's even referring to sometimes.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions offered.

firstly - don't use a separate amp/cab for right and left...you can use the same amp/cab for both, if you use two volume blocks to do the panning instead of the geq blocks. just set the balance control for each to right and left and bypass them as needed

as for the looper...it has it's own balance control, so just pan it to the side you want it

it's a little tricky to help without a patch to look at

Tthanks simeon.

I found another way when I was playing with some things (I re-downloaded axe edit, but it's still super dicky and I got to a point where it destroyed a once beautiful setting - irretrievably I might add)

I had 2 amps/cabs, set the cabs panned left and right, then changed the amps bypass state to "Mute" and then just would bypass the amp block to pan (saving on CPU usage by not needing 2 vol blocks - EDIT - just realized what you meant and now know what you mean and it makes more sense that way ;) ). I'll "build" it in Axe Edit, screen cap and show you the layout - even though I know it will likely crap out on me...

View attachment 16602

So, theres the layout. I've since moved the looper into parallel so that I get both a left and right signal when its not bypassed, but then I still have the issue of wanting JUST the looped signal to be played back Left and my playing panned right...

Probably asking too much, but I'll keep playing with it and post a patch for people to look at and make suggestions on

i don't understand why you think using two amps and cabs uses less cpu than using two volume blocks! (it uses way more, btw)

you're not asking too much....this is perfectly possible. you're not even using X/Y at the moment. it's just a problem solving exercise

as you have the looper in parallel, do you have the mix set at 100% and the looper balance control panned hard left?

i just set up a patch - took me literally 2 minutes - that has the behaviour you're looking for (i think).

drive>amp>cab

from there to looper in parallel

after the cab, volume 1, volume 2

volume 1 panned left, volume 2 panned right

looper at 100% wet, panned left

just enable the volume blocks as needed in each scene

if you can't get it, let me know and i'll upload the patch

Last edited:
whoa... thanks...
Thats pretty much spot on to what I want and to what I ended up building (for interests sake here it is View attachment 16605 ) except my looper is naturally set to be bypassed, but I'm re-thinking this now

my only qualms are

1) was hoping that I could have it automated that when I hit "play" on the looper, it would somehow magically make it a full wet looper signal left and my signal ONLY coming out of the right. At this point, I have to hit play, then switch to the patch that is "right only main sound" I then have to stop the loop and then switch back to left/right signal. I dont mind tapdancing a little bit, but this is a little bit hard to implement into our songs as the changes are essentially supposed to be immediate and looped sections are probably only 4 or 8 bars long, so if there's a way to automate it so looper play = live signal right only, then looper stop = left & right signal, then I'm all for it < thats what I meant about "probably asking too much".

2) might sound stupid and I'm sure it might be an easy fix, but, how does one make it so that when you activate the delay scene, it doesnt start with delay trailsof what you were playing immediately before you switched to that scene??

edit: re-uploaded the patch after moving the looper and making it active on all scenes - had to adjust level at the AMP block as the volume seemed to drop significantly when activating the looper

Last edited:
you don't need to bypass the looper. if however you want to, make sure the bypass mode is set to mute out, so that it doesn't affect your dry level when you do so. it's in a sidechain, so running dry signal through when it's muted will increase the dry level by 6db

i don't think there's any way to switch scenes when you stop recording, or pan the dry sound.

check the bypass mode on the delay. you might want to set it to "mute fx in" and see if that works. this means when it's bypassed, the delay isn't being fed with signal

bypass modes are important, especially when running in parallel. read up on them in the manual!

Updated this part:
1) was hoping that I could have it automated that when I hit "play" on the looper, it would somehow magically make it a full wet looper signal left and my signal ONLY coming out of the right. At this point, I have to hit play, then switch to the patch that is "right only main sound" I then have to stop the loop and then switch back to left/right signal. I dont mind tapdancing a little bit, but this is a little bit hard to implement into our songs as the changes are essentially supposed to be immediate and looped sections are probably only 4 or 8 bars long, so if there's a way to automate it so looper play = live signal right only, then looper stop = left & right signal, then I'm all for it < thats what I meant about "probably asking too much".

Edit: after reading your reply, looks like I'm shit outta luck in terms of automated panning, but the delay bypass mode worked spot on.

thanks heaps for all your help though

Had a thought though... If (more like when) we start playing to a click live, I can just automate patch changes via laptop which will take care of all the panning and changes, then all I have to worry about is the looping - still, thats all a ways off yet

just thinking aloud here and i've not tried this...

if each loop you create is relatively short and only repeats once, maybe you could use a delay instead of the looper. take advantage of the fact that the delay is still fed with signal while bypassed. you'd need to set it up so it's 1 bar/2 bar etc and play to a click / midi clock though

also - if this is single note stuff, have you considered using the intelligent harmoniser? you could pan the dry and wet when you engage it....

just thinking aloud here and i've not tried this...

if each loop you create is relatively short and only repeats once, maybe you could use a delay instead of the looper. take advantage of the fact that the delay is still fed with signal while bypassed. you'd need to set it up so it's 1 bar/2 bar etc and play to a click / midi clock though

also - if this is single note stuff, have you considered using the intelligent harmoniser? you could pan the dry and wet when you engage it....

It is relatively short - usually no more than 10 seconds worth at a time, but we dont play to a click live just yet and if we did, I'd have my patch changes done automatically via laptop.

For now, I've just set the looper to be centre and only use it when I'm centered as well - can get a bit muddy, but it's not too bad

Back
Top Bottom