• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Advice on getting rid of flubby bass?

Coldsummer

Experienced
How do you guys go about tightening up the bass without making the high end shrill or leaving the tone too thin and weedy? I've tried the cut parameter and taking some bass out with the amp block GEQ but it doesn't quite do it as I'd like to keep some low end kick but a bit more defined and controlled. Any favourite tricks or recommended parameters? I'm not great with EQ or the advanced parameters so I would be really grateful for any advice.

I'm using one of Vinai's Neal Schon patches which I really like but it's a bit boomy. I think it was created for FW9 or 10 so needs some dialing in anyway. I needed to bring the levels right down for a start.

Here's a link to the video (solo kicks in about 2.13), I'll try to post the patch shortly (not on my normal computer at the moment). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZDAun1pooY

First and foremost, I start with a cab that gets me as close as possible.

After that, I use the hi cut in the amp block (or the cut switch, if it happens to work), adjust the bass. Then, to get bass back I either use the depth parameter or the EQ and add bass back.

The key to getting rid of flub it reducing bass before distortion and restoring it after.

For me it is the combination of amp and IR choice. That combination has to be selected for your specific guitar. Fine tuning further can come down to small adjustments in pickup height. There are A LOT of amps and IRs available. Spend some time on that. I do use the cut switch too.

The technique I like is to use a filter roll off the lows but also and a bump right at the cutoff frequency. So, at the point where the roll off starts you have a small boost.

Now you can play with the cut off frequency and get rid of mud but get a little boost too to retain some fullness.

Not in the studio right now... and this pic is all I have at the moment. The EQ curve is a little strange but at least shows the roll off with a little boost at the cut off.

Ignore the other hump in the low end on the graph, it's not really pertinent to my point.

AxeFxIIFilterBlock_zps8ac79a17.png

First and foremost, I start with a cab that gets me as close as possible.

After that, I use the hi cut in the amp block (or the cut switch, if it happens to work), adjust the bass. Then, to get bass back I either use the depth parameter or the EQ and add bass back.

The key to getting rid of flub it reducing bass before distortion and restoring it after.

I've been tweaking with this for a few days as well. So would using a GEQ before the amp, then a PEQ after the cab be what would work best? I'm still new to all of the stuff in my XL.

Lots of ways to skin the Fractal Cat
yessmiley.gif
(it's ok Cliff, 'tis just a turn of phrase)

Perhaps have a look at balancing the Low Shelf in the Cab Block with Null Mic and Proximity...

Lowering the low res in the speaker tab can help as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions guys. How do I post a preset? I tried copying and pasting the .syx file but it just seems to show as text? Like this SMAA LEAD.syx

Hoping to find some time to get to the rehearsal space on Friday, so will have a kookie then, but I'm sure you'd have had plenty of input prior to that mate
smile.gif

I'll use a good Celestion V30 cab that gets me in the ballpark. With settings at noon on the amp block.

Then drop the Low Resonance in the Speaker tab to 75(which is what the V30 is speced at). Then use Low knob in amp block and Low Cut in amp/cab blocks to taste.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

IMO, the most beautiful thing about the new Ownhammer cabs is that they addressed this issue.
Agreed. I had a problem around the 200hz area with my 8 string. The new OH IR's seems to really address flub & muddiness. I like how there really adaptable to the various amp models in the AXE II without a lot of the readjustments required when going through amp sims.

Filter before the amp block, with settings that mimic the EQ of what a TS would do. Cut activated. Settings in the Speaker tab in the Amp block. Low cut in the Cab block. Bring back some low end with Proximity on a null mic in the Cab block.

Back
Top Bottom