Advice needed re: irreplaceable guitar as airline carry-on?

NY Guitarist

Power User
I need to figure out the best way to get a VERY vintage Les Paul from the U.S. east coast to the west coast. Has anyone tried to arrange with an airline in advance to take a valuable guitar as a carry-on?

Monetary value aside, the sentimental value makes the guitar truly irreplaceable. I'm scared to death to just ship this and pray while I hold my breath until it arrives.

I’m flying there in a few months so I thought I would bring this back with me one way or another.

As long as it’s in a reasonable case (not like a massive molded SKB hard case), you can carry it on no problem. Done it too many times to count, many times with two guitars in a mono M80 dual guitar bag. If you want to make sure they won’t try to give you crap, just buy priority boarding so there’s plenty of room in the overheads when you board. Worst case you can valet it (ask for a “pink tag”) so it goes with the strollers and wheelchairs, and you get it right when you get off the plane. I’ve also done that too many times to count. We actually mostly just check our fender style guitars because we have SKB molded cases for them, but tbh I wouldn’t check a Gibson.

Definitely buy an extra seat for the guitar. Especially If the guitar is irreplaceable either financially and/or sentimentally. Make sure also take an insurance policy out on it anyway with any reputable music insurance company if you already haven't done so.

Many many years ago, I was taking my L5 to the Gibson factory for some fret work.
I arranged in advance with the airline, and was told I could carry it on, and put it in the coat closet area.
Start to board, they won't allow it, made me check it at the gate.
Get to my seat, look out the window, see it literally flying through the air upside down onto a baggage conveyor.
Bah.
Airlines DNGAF period.
Do everything you can to keep it with you, but you may not succeed.

Definitely buy an extra seat for the guitar. Especially If the guitar is irreplaceable either financially and/or sentimentally. Make sure also take an insurance policy out on it anyway with any reputable music insurance company if you already haven't done so.
@RoshRoslin Sidetrack, what are some "reputable music insurance companies" in your experience?

Many many years ago, I was taking my L5 to the Gibson factory for some fret work.
I arranged in advance with the airline, and was told I could carry it on, and put it in the coat closet area.
Start to board, they won't allow it, made me check it at the gate.
Get to my seat, look out the window, see it literally flying through the air upside down onto a baggage conveyor.
Bah.
Airlines DNGAF period.
Do everything you can to keep it with you, but you may not succeed.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Breaks_Guitars

I've done the ticket thing multiple times but still be early and nice to everybody. Not many know all the rules and there are small difference in handling from crew to crew. Remember the captain has the last word: they can force you to check in the guitar whenever they want.

Back
Top Bottom