Advice for large outdoor venues

skydog

Experienced
First time using my AxeFX3 outside for a very large job. I'm wondering if I should change my standard chain of effects (and amount of effects) for a nighttime concert at a large amphitheater. The venue runs their own FOH system.

I'll be sending OUT1 to FOH, and OUT3 to a (loud if I want it) flat-response amplifier and Marshall 4x12 cab (half-open back JBL D120s and Celestion G12H55) on stage. I like speakers behind me and the interaction with my guitar during solos, plus it looks great.

Back when I started out, we often played outdoors. We would never have (or would use) reverb, and modelers didn't exist. I'm only going for a plexi sound.

For indoor venues playing this music, I'm fine with: DRIVE (FuzzFace), COMP (Analog), AMP (Jumped plexi), DELAY ((Analog 250ms) REV ((Studio). I'm wondering if I should maybe can the reverb and add an EQ for outdoors. Soundcheck is 3pm this Saturday, and playing at night, with lots of people and a nearbybody of water. Predicted weather: clear, 70°F (20°C), humidity 60%, wind 5, gusting to 19mph (8-30km/h). Yeah I know. A nice night

Any advice?

I'd dry em out a bit myself. If the delay or reverb are atmospheric, ditch or greatly reduce them. If they're rhythmically used delays or a reverb used for a special effect I'd leave them, just be prepared to adjust your mix ratios at sound check if they're too pronounced.

Thanks all. We have a scheduled soundcheck at 3pm for a 9pm start. I’ll work on the suggestions this week, and be ready. Already worked with Leon’s suggestion. After some testing today, I think compression won’t be necessary, and no reverb will help. But now you’all have provided a couple of approaches that are easy to use. Can’t thank you enough.
Do you think keyboard players dry out all their patches before gigs in big places? Are people remixing their backing tracks?
Backing tracks? Live performance - no backing tracks.
We have been asked by a promoter if we would reenact the Allman Brother’s Live at Fillmore East performance, but we’re outside. So this is more like a Piedmont Park, UNC, etc. I want it to sound like 1971. None of those amps had reverb, and I don’t think GA’s Hammond had a Trek II RV.

Asking, because it’s my first time with a modeler outside. It was a sincere question. I’m worried about it sounding odd in an outdoor setting. The couple of methods to let me change quickly will help. I hadn’t considered it.

Thanks all. We have a scheduled soundcheck at 3pm for a 9pm start. I’ll work on the suggestions this week, and be ready. Already worked with Leon’s suggestion. After some testing today, I think compression won’t be necessary, and no reverb will help. But now you’all have provided a couple of approaches that are easy to use. Can’t thank you enough.

Backing tracks? Live performance - no backing tracks.
We have been asked by a promoter if we would reenact the Allman Brother’s Live at Fillmore East performance, but we’re outside. So this is more like a Piedmont Park, UNC, etc. I want it to sound like 1971. None of those amps had reverb, and I don’t think GA’s Hammond had a Trek II RV.

Asking, because it’s my first time with a modeler outside. It was a sincere question. I’m worried about it sounding odd in an outdoor setting. The couple of methods to let me change quickly will help. I hadn’t considered it.
his point about backing tracks and keyboard players is if performers are using them in their shows and they’re working in various venues already, they’re not remixing them simply because the size of the venue grew, or keyboard players dont typically have a bank of “large stadium only” patches. If their sounds work, they work.

What I would do if I were you is the same I do in smaller venues. Keep the typical Bass/middle/treble/presence in the performance tab handy just in case you need to pepper something a little. If your sounds are already good, you shouldnt need to move too much around, if anything. Modelers really shine best on larger stages, because ultimately the people in the cheap seats hear zero guitar amp and 100% FOH, exactly what your modeler aims to reproduce when running direct. I’d bet a weeks pay you’ll be just fine.

I avoid expansive reverbs for live application, in general. There's always some natural reverb in the venue that can muddy things. For heavy distortion, I eliminate reverb entirely, even delay for rhythm. I would think the same principals apply to large outdoor venues subject to slap back and weird acoustic phenomenon.

I don't change mine either. I want reverb in my ears. FOH when I listen back to recordings I can't tell if it's there or not.

Check out the Global Reverb Mix. Just make sure your Reverb Block is in SERIES, not Parallel, otherwise lowering the Global Reverb Mix will add additional Dry Level to your signal.

If anything, I find that I want more Reverb/Delay for outdoor shows. Without walls to bounce everything off of and create natural verb, Outdoor shows feel really dry. But I don't touch anything on my presets. FOH can add some more if they feel it necessary.

I never adjusted my effects for outdoor venues, and I’ve done plenty. How much reverb mix do you use? For me… I only use 10-12% on presets with moderate gain… clean, about 15-20%. I don’t go for a ‘washy’ reverb.. unless I’m using an ambient clean tone. IMO you want to be more careful in an indoor venue regarding how much reverb you use.

Back
Top Bottom