Advice for EV PXM12-MP monitor?

I typically use my EVs on their side. I do aim them up a bit, so I’m getting inside the tweeter’s dispersion angle. I have moved away from using the Monitor settings, and instead use it in Tripod mode. It almost sounds like yours is in guitar cab mode, which shuts off the tweeter.

In my rehearsal space, with two of these running in stereo about 6 feet away from me on the floor, my best settings seem to be Tripod, -3dB Treble, -2dB Mids tuned at 100Hz, -5dB Bass.

Best guidance I can give is to push some familiar music through the EV. Something with a more known spectrum than your presets. Adjust the DSP to where the music sounds “right” in the monitor, and you should be able to have more confidence that it represents your presets accurately…warts and all.

Last edited:
I'm struggling with getting my EV PXM12-MP monitor sounding good. I dial in a patch that sounds great through output 1 in my studio monitors with a cab block, and also through my power amp and guitar cab through output 3 with no cab block. Then I turn up output 2 which goes to the EV, set to copy output 1, and it just sounds woofy and like it's blanketed.
I've been digging around in the EV documentation for the PXM-12MP, and had a question for EV related to the published frequency response chart and the Monitor 1 and 2 settings, and sent a question to their support about it.

Any speaker cabinet on the floor, like a monitor, is in a half-space causing a +6 dB increase in bass response around 100 Hz; It's just physics having its fun. The chart shows that the Monitor 2 response is flatter than Monitor 1, but doesn't say whether the chart was generated with the PXM-12MP on the floor and the DSP setting enabled. The Monitor 1 setting, which shows roll-off in the lows in the chart, is the default so I asked for clarification. I haven't received a response yet but they're good about answering tech questions so I'm sure they will 'splain.

Presonus has a little blurb about it on their site which helps explain the problem:

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 9.35.25 AM.png

I suspect that EV's chart is the roll-off applied by the DSP to counter the half-space +6 dB boost, not what the resulting sound would be. If that is the case I'll switch my cabs to Monitor 1 and continue using a bit of EQ in the modeler to counter any room or stage-specific issues.

I've been digging around in the EV documentation for the PXM-12MP, and had a question for EV related to the published frequency response chart and the Monitor 1 and 2 settings, and sent a question to their support about it.

Any speaker cabinet on the floor, like a monitor, is in a half-space causing a +6 dB increase in bass response around 100 Hz; It's just physics having its fun. The chart shows that the Monitor 2 response is flatter than Monitor 1, but doesn't say whether the chart was generated with the PXM-12MP on the floor and the DSP setting enabled. The Monitor 1 setting, which shows roll-off in the lows in the chart, is the default so I asked for clarification. I haven't received a response yet but they're good about answering tech questions so I'm sure they will 'splain.

Presonus has a little blurb about it on their site which helps explain the problem:

View attachment 117517

I suspect that EV's chart is the roll-off applied by the DSP to counter the half-space +6 dB boost, not what the resulting sound would be. If that is the case I'll switch my cabs to Monitor 1 and continue using a bit of EQ in the modeler to counter any room or stage-specific issues.
Greg, did you ever receive clarification on this?

Greg, did you ever receive clarification on this?
I didn't get a clear answer to my question, but, based on their graphs, Monitor 1 is a "vocal" EQ, Monitor 2 is a "flat", so that's what I've been going with assuming they're EQing for a 1/2 mode, i.e., the monitor on the floor but not against a wall (AKA 1/4 mode).

If someone can independently run measurements that'd be cool, but so far that's what I know and am running with.

I didn't get a clear answer to my question, but, based on their graphs, Monitor 1 is a "vocal" EQ, Monitor 2 is a "flat", so that's what I've been going with assuming they're EQing for a 1/2 mode, i.e., the monitor on the floor but not against a wall (AKA 1/4 mode).

If someone can independently run measurements that'd be cool, but so far that's what I know and am running with.
Thanks, Greg. I know you’ve gone over this in other threads, but do you basically leave the monitor 2 settings at default? And then what’s your master volume level on the PXM and output level on the Fractal? Also, is your input level on the PXM at 0?

Thanks, Greg. I know you’ve gone over this in other threads, but do you basically leave the monitor 2 settings at default? And then what’s your master volume level on the PXM and output level on the Fractal? Also, is your input level on the PXM at 0?
Some of those some settings can be hard to quantify... You need to also take into account several factors:

• Preset volume
  • Output Mode -10dB or +4dB
  • How loud to you want to be
  • How many PXMs are you using
For me, my presets are leveled close to the 0dB indicator in the Output block (or Leveling Tool), my Output is set to +4dB, the PXM-12MPs (I run 2) are using stock Monitor 2 Mode with Level at 0dB. I set my FM9 output knob at about 40% (as seen in the Utilities -> ADC menu).

I'm running "loud enough" to avoid Fletcher Munson...

Some of those some settings can be hard to quantify... You need to also take into account several factors:

• Preset volume
  • Output Mode -10dB or +4dB
  • How loud to you want to be
  • How many PXMs are you using
For me, my presets are leveled close to the 0dB indicator in the Output block (or Leveling Tool), my Output is set to +4dB, the PXM-12MPs (I run 2) are using stock Monitor 2 Mode with Level at 0dB. I set my FM9 output knob at about 40% (as seen in the Utilities -> ADC menu).

I'm running "loud enough" to avoid Fletcher Munson...
Thanks. Mine are pretty much like yours. The only difference is my master volume on the EV is set to -12DB but I think that’s because I run the output on the Fractal at about 3 o’clock. I use modified Austin Buddy presets for the most part and I think he recommends cranking the Fractal and adjusting the speaker volume to dial in 85-90db. The issue there though is you can’t really adjust the EV’s volume when playing live if you need to. At 3:00 I have some wiggle room to turn up though. I might try it you way though just to see - less output on Fractal and more from EV.

Monitor 2 is at default settings. I prefer to change the EQ in the modeler.

I start with the EV master at 50%, and the modeler ~50%, then adjust the modeler to taste. The input level is on 0/AKA noon.

The values will change according to the stage and where you are placed and the size of the room and how much stage volume you are working with.

I have run mine in a variety of configurations, and by far my favorite has been pole mounted, with the tripod preset selected.

Like Greg says, having the monitor on the floor, or too near to a wall or corner, can massively affect the bass response. Having the speaker pole mounted has given me the most accurate and natural sound at moderate volumes. It might be worth getting a monitor stand to try it out.

I've recently found that I can make any speakers sound good with the amp-output eq section. Usually boost the mid high and high freqs a bit on the 5 band passive eq and that does it for me.

Try the Monitor 2 setting on the speaker. That's what I use, and I think some other folks here. I think it's the closest to flat.

Also, try to set up so it's pointing directly at you, not at your knees for instance. I have mine on short stands, so they're roughly waist height, aimed at me.
Got a pic of the PXMs on these stands? And a link maybe?

Ugh, tried, but my phone's camera takes pictures too big to upload here.

Anyone know of a simple free Android tool for reducing image size? I have the same problem with my doctor's office.
You can tell your phone to take pictures at a lower resolution.

Look under the pic on your phone after you pick the photo, but before you click the send button (or OK, or whatever it says).

You should be able to pick a smaller size.

Guess I'm dumb.

Adding it as an attachment, there's only one file shown, no options that I saw.

Inserting it into the body of the message as a picture, when it finishes processing it complains about the size and immediately closes the insert picture UI.

I'll email it to myself first, that gives me size options. Bleh.

Last edited:
As requested, pic of my 2 PXMs on their stands.
Stands are Yorkville, I think maybe the SKS-02B from this page.
One of the first pair I got was defective, broke itself immediately.
Dealer replaced it, no problems since, but I'm not gigging, so they pretty much just stay like you see there.

Attachments

• PXMs on stands.png
    PXMs on stands.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
Dealer replaced it, no problems since, but I'm not gigging, so they pretty much just stay like you see there.
Cool. I have my single one on the floor for now but have a couple short stands on the way to try.

I have been using those stands for a few years now and they are perfect if you are trying to place the speakers at waist height! though I do wish they were a little more stought the weight of the PMX is all I would put on it.

Back
Top Bottom