Advanced settings for metal amps

victorbs

What are your Depth, Damp, Sag, Warmth and Thump settings for PVH 5105 and Recto Orange metal patches you're using ? Any other ideas to get rid of the harshness and make a warm, big, organic, but tight sound ? I mean for the amp settings, not filter, compressor and PEQ, I have that covered. Thanks in advance for helping a newbie !

not really touching the ADV parameters to get the sound I want with these amp sims.
then again, warm and organic aren't really what I look for in a good metal patch, but this stuff works well in context:

PVH5105

Drive 5
Bass 2.01
Mid 1.5
Treble 9.02
Pres 9.06
Master 2.01

4x12 German + U87
(Cab Drive 3.54, or not, your choice)

add a PEQ or filter,
shelving(!), 88Hz, Q1.122, -12dB
adjust frequency for your down tuning needs.
the filter adds a nice bump at the cutoff frequency while removing low end mud at the same time - you probably have to play together with your bass player to find the sweet spot.
removing some mids also helps:
peaking, 467Hz, Q2.315, -5,76dB
and
shelving, 6.1kHz, Q1.122, -6dB (this will clean up the high end, adjust cut to taste)

My main rhythm patch uses the Recto Orange.
Speaking from memory, I think depth, warmth and thump are set to 0, damp and sag at their defaults.
IMO tight sound needs: 1. just as low gain as needed 2. low "bass" value 3. low master value (!!!) 4. enough lo cut (adv. page), depending on your guitar
"Organic, big, not harsh" depends mostly on the right cab/IR and mic sim.
PEQ is a great tool and has its raison d'être, but you should get close without it, IMO.

To be honest with you, I rarely ever touch those parameters, except depth and that is amp model specific. Would you care to share one of your patches that you think is close to what you are looking for, tonewise?

Here is patch that I believe sounds warm, organic and tight. Please note that I made this patch for use with headphones(AKG 240's), for late late night jamming/practicing, so it may not sound the same through your speaker setup.

Let me know if it does anything for you. :)

Attachments

• Smooth.syx
    2 KB · Views: 37
wat? :)

@ OP: I may add that the Recto is not the tightest amp by nature. If "tightness" is not only a sound thing but also a feel thing, you may reduce the Sag and increase the Damp and the B+ (on adv. page) values.

IRL don't a lot of people run a boost in front of a Recto to tighten it up? Try a drive block or use an amp that already has a tighter response. I rarely dick around with the adv parameters on the amps, I generally try to find one that is a good starting point and build from there.

IRL don't a lot of people run a boost in front of a Recto to tighten it up? Try a drive block or use an amp that already has a tighter response. I rarely dick around with the adv parameters on the amps, I generally try to find one that is a good starting point and build from there.

Sure. I just took the approach to stick with the amp('s sound) the OP spoke of. And I don't like using pedals for high gain personally (not even as lo end remover) ;) .
I wanted to show the possibilities you have with any given amp, that you happen to like. Of course you could choose e.g. a Mark IV instead, which is tighter.
But it'll sound like a Mark, not like a Recto.

Back
Top Bottom