Advanced Parameters

backline

Hi,

I recently bought a used standard so I am new to this forum. Great unit and I'm having fun digging into it. Thanks to everyone for making this a great forum and wiki. I did some searching, but did not see this question posted.

What advanced amp and cab parameters do you guys typically change if any? I noticed that some have a limited effect while others have more of an effect. I am guessing that most people leave them at the default values, otherwise you could spend weeks tweaking your tone. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I used to play with that page a lot - thinking that, since I'm the boss of my own axe-fx, i should command all the parameters. half a year later i realised that my axe is the boss of me. These days I only change low-cut and tonestack type and thats about it.

that page is like a can of worms if you dont know what you're doing

You can always try turning the knobs to see what they do :) that's basically how I found out what they did. I know I sound like a jerk saying it but It's true! Trust me! You gotta experiment to hear what It's doing.

Last edited:
You can always try turning the knobs to see what they do :) that's basically how I found out what they did. I know I sound like a jerk saying it but It's true! Trust me! You gotta experiment to hear what It's doing.

I have actually gone through all the knobs and found the ones that I think make some difference. I am just worried that I will go down a black hole of tweaking and not really gain much out of it.

Which one did you feel that did a significant change?

Well try this out. Find a preset that's bassy and try using the low pass filter to see how it affects the tone. Also, try the warmth parameter on a patch that feels really Sharp or too edgy and you can see it dull it out a bit, but if you use too much it gets kinda muddy in my opinion.

Which one did you feel that did a significant change?

Well try this out. Find a preset that's bassy and try using the low pass filter to see how it affects the tone. Also, try the warmth parameter on a patch that feels really Sharp or too edgy and you can see it dull it out a bit, but if you use too much it gets kinda muddy in my opinion.

I think you mean High-pass (Low Cut).

Low Cut is the only adv.parameter I adjust. With fw 11 I only have to set it at 80 or so, to remove flubby bass from vintage amps.

play with the speaker res in the amp black until the bass sounds right

Quite interesting that the Speaker Resonance param. has disappeared from the II... (according to the manual, that is)

Last edited:
WAHT - gone from the 2? Thats awfull :( I only set and forget it, BUT its not default. Its REALLY usefull for those of using real cabs. Matching the cab resonance to the axe is important, and a 1x12 ported cab is different from a 2x12 open or 4x12 closed cab.

On the original post,

I use the B+ a lot now. Tonally doesnt do much, but lowering it from default gives a rounder, bouncier feel with more give. Raising it makes it tighter and harder edged.

play with the speaker res in the amp block until the bass sounds right
+1 on that, since v11 changes made in the "advanced" page like spkr res or if an amp seams to bright or buzzy lowering the transformer high freq down a bit is more noticable than before v11. Must be the changes Cliff made to the poweramp modeling in that firmware. Whatever he did...BRAVO!!

I almost always increase the low-cut frequency to 199.2 (give or take), which really helps clean up the low-end of most amp models, I often increase the high-cut frequency (a little or a lot - sometimes all the way to 20,000 depending on the amp model), which adds a little "sparkle" to the sound IMO. On low and mid gain amp models, I LOVE increasing the power tube bias - generally somewhere between 500 - 700. I'm also a big fan of increasing the dampening setting - although not as much since fw11.0. It seems that most of the "factory" settings are very good since the last update. Cliff did an awesome job with the latest firmware! I cannot wait to get my hands on an Axe II. :)

Sag is a cool/useful one if you are in a situation where you want to turn off power amp simulation. (Sag == 0). I've tweaked the "cut" params or tried a few magic recipes from others on the forum here and there. But really, most of the time, if I find myself tempted to go really deep on the advanced params, I figure it's time to change amp models.

Nonetheless I find it cool/comforting that they are there. :)

Last edited:
Hey man. I have one piece of advice with regards to the high and lo cut parameters. My general rule of thumb is that I need to use more cutting 1) the more gain I'm using and 2) the pickup type/position I'm using.

For instance, my default settings for clean patches with verrrrrry little gain are 100Hz and 7kHz respectively. If I'm playing on the neck pickup (which I use to thicken up parts where I'm playing high up on the fretboard), I may increase the lo cut to compensate for the pickup.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you need to think about what pickups/positions and gain levels you are going for before and during the patch creation process.

Cheers,
-AL

I might advise that if you don't know what advanced parameters are supposed to do that you don't dismiss them as having "a limited effect" until you explore their interactive relationships with other parameters, especially the MASTER.

I might advise that if you don't know what advanced parameters are supposed to do that you don't dismiss them as having "a limited effect" until you explore their interactive relationships with other parameters, especially the MASTER.

Understood. Just trying to get a feel for what people have experienced. With 21 advanced amp parameters staring me in the face, I don't want to start chasing my tail.

Back
Top Bottom