Advanced Amp Block Parameters

SparkyG

Experienced
Hi all

Just started fiddling with some of the advanced parameters.

I can barely notice a difference when I change them even running my PA at gig levels (going direct).
Adjusting sag all the way seems to make no difference (except when it reaches off), same with the Depth, transformer , Capacitance etc? or are these really subtle

I assume the amp type makes a difference - I tried it on Plexi 2 and JCM 800 - on the 800 the master is set about 3 o'clock Drive is the same, on the Plexi the Master is full up and the drive around 2 oclock

BTW I'm also not running any drive blocks before or after just amp and cab

Do I need to have some other global parameter on to make these do More??

I'm running 8.02

thanks in advance, sorry if I'm being thick.

Depth should make a big difference, sag should make a notable difference (more or less depending on master vol), the others are more subtle.

It sounds like you are running the power amp sims on globally if you can hear a difference between sag completely off and turned up a bit. That is the way it should be set for going direct into a PA or studio monitors (or any FRFR setup).

Some of them are a bit subtle, but some of them make a pretty big difference on certain amps. I've found that the sag is more noticeable with the master turned up higher and it affects the feel more than the tone, at least to me. This one is pretty subtle to my ears, but you can feel the difference.

The damp varies from amp to amp, but to me it can really tighten things up and make things cut on hi-gain tones. The depth is huge if you are on Firmware 7.18 or higher. I hardly put it past 3 any more whereas I used to run it quite high on some patches.

A lot of the other advanced settings really take a close listen, but do make a difference, especially when it comes to interacting with one another... i.e. turn up the low cut a bit and turn up the B+ capacitance while boosting the damping and depth just a bit will give tighter bass response with less mud. It all kind of adds up to make some pretty large differences in your tone.

Thanks guys

did some more playing around and noticed some big differences, easier to hear some of them on headphones.

thanks again

I find it helps to flip between two presets, one pre-changes, and one post-changes. It's sort of like the old artist's trick of looking at your portrait upside-down - it freshens your perspective and helps you see the aggregate effect of a bunch of small changes.

Back
Top Bottom