Admin deleted post without reason

Manning

Experienced
OK, I'm largely supportive of everyone here, but something happened today which was TOTALLY uncalled for.

A forum post was put up by Admin M indicating that the forum was being shut down for maintenance. The date given was 8/3/11. Being non-American, I immediately read that as "8th of March" and so mistakely assumed it was an out of date post.

Anyway, once I realised my mistake, I put a comment under the post clarifying the situation for the (large) number of non-Americans here.

For no apparent reason Admin M promptly deleted my post.

What earthly reason was there for deleting it?

And why use such an ambiguous date format when you have such a large international audience?

Very weird, and frankly, unhelpful behaviour.

--------------------------

<edit> Retracted - This was clearly an over-reaction on my part and I have since retracted my complaint.

Last edited:
He is doing work on the forum and some posts have been deleted some of mine and others as well. I highly doubt it was intentional. I'm sure Matt will fix what ever has happened or at least say why it has happened, it's all good.

Last edited:
Well I'll assume good faith then.

Still, just for the record, it is REALLY annoying to deal with ambiguous dates. I know America uses a different system to everyone else, which is why a format like "3 Aug 11" is better because it works for everybody.

The date format is set by the software, though I imagine it is configurable. The forum is based in the States; so unfortunately (for the rest of the world) there are going to be typical misunderstandings like this.

When Matt shuts the board down for maintenance like he did; it is highly likely that the supposedly deleted post simply didn't 'stick' when the board went into maintenance mode. There's no conspiracy or need to think any posts were deleted on purpose.

Seriously, relax man. You went off on the other thread, and then posted a whole new thread to vent how awful it is that one of your posts got deleted? I get that you're confused about an ambiguous date format like 8/3/2011 vs 3/8/2011, but you can look at the actual thread posting date in addition to what Matt wrote. When it says "Today", or "Yesterday", you know it doesn't mean March, no matter what country you're from.

Sorry to go off on you, but you made such a big deal about this that I figured I'd do the same.

Why would you assume an Admin would post about forum maintenance 5 months after the fact?

I didn't. I assumed I was looking at an old post.
Fortunately I checked the date at the side and figured it out.
I then left a comment to help other people who might have made the same mistake as me.
That comment then got deleted.
I got annoyed.
Someone said it might be all innocent.
I said OK, fair enough.

I think that sums it all up.

Well if I was to be pedantic about it I remember your post about the date format ..... however the original post by M@ was dated yesterday and he did say something like 'The board will be undergoing maintenance tonight ....'

I agree the date formats can be confusing .... but actually I think the dd/mm/yy way is actually in the minority now .... maybe its just us folks that drive on the proper side of the road (the left) that use it ;)

I agree the date formats can be confusing .... but actually I think the dd/mm/yy way is actually in the minority now .... maybe its just us folks that drive on the proper side of the road (the left) that use it ;)

Date format by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That led me to looking it up... According to the above article only two countries use the mm/dd/yyyy format exclusively (USA and Belize). A further three use it in combination with dd/mm/yyyy (Saudi Arabia, Canada and the Phillipines.)

All the rest use dd/mm/yyyy or yyyy/mm/dd.

Date format by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That led me to looking it up... According to the above article only two countries use the mm/dd/yyyy format exclusively (USA and Belize). A further three use it in combination with dd/mm/yyyy (Saudi Arabia, Canada and the Phillipines.)

All the rest use dd/mm/yyyy or yyyy/mm/dd.

I stand corrected.

If only an Aussie or a Brit had invented PHP we'd have a better world :razz

In the future, you might consider politely asking what happened to your post before you sling accusations.

FWIW, I work for a US military contractor and we always use the format 3 August 2011. I've never liked the three number format either.

Whether here or on another board, if you have an issue with a member of a forum's staff, take it up with them privately. Bitching about them in public is more likely to get you slapped than it is to get answers/resolution.

semi-off-topic... for what it's worth, USAmerican here, and I always write dates on files as yyyy.mm.dd so that things always auto-sort correctly on the computer.
Written on paper, I use yyyy Mon dd (e.g. 2011 Aug 04) so that there's no possible confusion about any of the bits except my terrible handwriting.
It still confuses people here until they realize they can't be confused by it... ... ....

So, imho, both the US *and* Europe/Australia/etc. have it wrong. :p I'm half Japanese though... didn't realize they wrote it YMD too... maybe that's where I got it, though I've never been. :)

USAmerican here, and I always write dates on files as yyyy.mm.dd so that things always auto-sort correctly on the computer.

+1

I also find this is widely used these days exactly for "auto-sort" reasons.

There does appear to he some heavy handed moderation and revisionism of history on this board. So not out of the question that it was deleted.

Back
Top Bottom