Adapting a favorite Ultra sound effect patch to Axe II

JCBitB

Inspired
Hey guys, I'm really loving the AxeII and haven't missed my old presets except for one I snagged off of axe-change and fell in love with a while back. It was called either "Long Echo" or "Daniel Lanois Atmospere Delay" but I can no longer find it there so I've uploaded a slightly altered version from my actual Ultra.

Can anyone help me figure out what exactly is going on with it, so I can rebuild a similar effect in my AxeII? I use it with a volume pedal for intense sustaining delay trails that almost turn into a pad after a bit, almost sounds like a slightly overdriven electric keyboard doing whale call impressions. At one point I looked into it to see what made it tick, and I noticed that my pick attack was changing knob values, and there's some funky ducking going on. I got overwhelmed, thought I'd come here for help from the experts!

If you don't have an ultra, check this video right around 4:10 or so for the original. Only difference is I changed the amp model and the amount of gain it was running.
2010 axe-fx ultra 9.02 tones - YouTube

I REALLY miss this effect, its the only preset I haven't replaced

Attachments

• Whale Calls.syx
    2 KB · Views: 36
Being an Ultra user (with a A2 on its way to me), I may have "Long Delay".

If I can locate it, would it be helpful to ya to know the signal chain, etc?
Let me know.

i have the legacy version of axe edit on my machine, so i can load up the patch and manually copy the settings over into the new axe edit and bung you the patch

if you don't mind waiting until tomorrow...

Hey guys, I'm really loving the AxeII and haven't missed my old presets except for one I snagged off of axe-change and fell in love with a while back. It was called either "Long Echo" or "Daniel Lanois Atmospere Delay" but I can no longer find it there so I've uploaded a slightly altered version from my actual Ultra.

Can anyone help me figure out what exactly is going on with it, so I can rebuild a similar effect in my AxeII? I use it with a volume pedal for intense sustaining delay trails that almost turn into a pad after a bit, almost sounds like a slightly overdriven electric keyboard doing whale call impressions. At one point I looked into it to see what made it tick, and I noticed that my pick attack was changing knob values, and there's some funky ducking going on. I got overwhelmed, thought I'd come here for help from the experts!

If you don't have an ultra, check this video right around 4:10 or so for the original. Only difference is I changed the amp model and the amount of gain it was running.
2010 axe-fx ultra 9.02 tones - YouTube

I REALLY miss this effect, its the only preset I haven't replaced

Would you mind share your Ultra presets?

I absolutely don't mind waiting till tomorrow if you've got a plan, I look forward to what you come up with. To the folks that asked for a Patch, is the patch in the first post uploaded incorrectly? First time trying it, so bare with me.

Just dumping a patch onto the forums for me would be awesome, but I'd REALLY like to know what cleverness went into this if any of you fine folks feel like getting educational on me. I was always afraid to touch this patch, because I didn't want to unhinge the magic by attempting to fix what wasn't broken, but I've always wished there were more "effect" patches like this to take full advantage of shedding the limitations of physical amp design. We have a box of magic here, and sometimes it breaks my heart that 90% of the effort going into designing patches is aimed at copying the warts and all of what's already been out there for ages.

ok, here it is.

it was a mess...really all over the place. stereo? mono? couldn't decide... two amps, but cabs in series for one of them...why yes...envelope adjusting the mix levels instead of the input levels of all the fx...why not...levels all over the place....of course....fx being fed by the same amp twice...give that man a cigar!

ok, ok...i might be being a bit harsh, but i couldn't just do a straight copy without tidying it up a bit. this is a now a full stereo patch....full of stereo goodness, so if you play in mono, let me know, cos it'll need tweaking (and i will feel sad that you can't hear it in stereo)

Attachments

• Whale Calls II.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Thanks so much simeon! I'm stoked to try this out and hear it in stereo. The old patch really was quirky, never much good if you wanted to sound like a guitar at all, lol. But boy could you make a single note ring out and cut through the biggest chorus.

This stranger on the internet is thankful!

let me know if it sounds significantly different from your original (the video wasn't much help, to be honest) and why...and i'll try and help you get it closer

It's a great patch that I'm glad you made and happy to use, but its very much a guitar lead. Do you mind if I get a warts and all version of the original tho? I don't expect it to sound much like it did on my ultra, but hopefully I can get some of its own mojo back.

the original is thicker in a mushy/murky kinda way and builds into a big wall of warmth yet the notes you are playing always seem to sit on top. There's kind of an unstable quality to the sound, like an electric piano that might explode or melt down any second, lol.

ok, here's a faithful copy. some of the amp parameters are different, but i translated everything else exactly

Attachments

• Whale Calls III.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 31
I will check it out tonight, but just so you know, your last patch lead me onto a 2 hour long tangent last night. Loads of fun!

ok, here's a faithful copy. some of the amp parameters are different, but i translated everything else exactly
A heads up. This "Whale Calls III" gave me CPU overload flashing messages (78% w/o USB) and my AFX2 kept rebooting itself until I wrote a preset over Whale and restarted my AFX2.

Back
Top Bottom