Adam Monitors--How content with your choice are you?

rlhjr34

Inspired
Anyone using the A3x or A5x with the Axe FX content? Or thinking they should have ponied up for the A7x? I am trying to budget for my monitors and I wasn't sure how content you are with your choice of these two. I should mention I'm in a room that is roughly 11x12 and eventually it will be acoustically treated.

There are multiple threads on similar topics, but, in a nutshell, my personal opinion is go for at least a 7 inch woofer if the main purpose is playing through the monitors. If you use something else for playing, and plan to use monitors for mixing, that could be another story.

Just bought the A7x’s to go with my AX8. No regrets at all and I find myself more often just blasting the monitors and enjoying the music when I’m not practicing.

I come from having no quality speakers though, and the demos between monitors I heard at GC were enough to convince me that a) I wanted a 7” since they double for my general listening and b) the price differential was worth it.

ProStarAudio has good package deals. I got the monitors, stands, and isolation pads when Adam had their 10% rebate going on - got the whole package for ~$1360.

I have only been able to demo the A7X and they were absolutely amazing. I was ready to walk out with them on the spot. The only issue is they are a little out of my budget. I’m going to have to really stretch the budget to make the 5s happen. I have the rest of my funds set for the AXE FX III (on the wait list).

I totally love the ribbon tweeter on the Adams but coming from JBL 305LSR I am wondering how much additional low end I need, the 7 inch would be my 1st choice if I can make it work somehow

I have only been able to demo the A7X and they were absolutely amazing. I was ready to walk out with them on the spot. The only issue is they are a little out of my budget.

Well, I've said it before, I'll say it again.

If the purpose of these monitors is playing through them, go for 8 inches and a cheaper brand. You simply don't need the accuracy of better monitors for this use case, IMO.

I currently have three pairs of monitors, two of which are nearfields. Dynaudio BM5s (6.5 inches) are miles better than Presonus Eris E8s (8 inches) as monitor speakers, it's no contest. But playing through them? The cheaper but bigger E8s (half the price of the Dynaudios) win hands down just as easily. That's just loads more fun.

Last edited:
Great monitors. I have two A3Xs as computer monitors. Even capable of filling the room.
Also owned the 5 and 7 (too big).

I use the A3s as computer monitors. They are great for music and for AX. A bigger speaker, like in my Atomic CLR, sounds better just for guitar, though. If you can afford the bigger speaker and it's your only amplification, get the bigger one.

I should mention that I do plan to use these for not only the AXE FX but also mixing and music listening too, even as computer speakers. So more than just for my guitar.

I will probably go with a separate speaker (CLR) when I do need to push air more or play live. I was happy or rather content is a better choice of words with the 305 JBLs. It just became less dynamic feeling after a while and I sold them. Originally I planned to update them to the MK II version. However, with my increase in uses, and needs I thought it would be time to do a significant upgrade.

I went and did a demo and was totally on board with the A7X except for the price. It is just out of my budget reach with my AXE FX III on the horizon. So I was thinking that based on my room size the 3 or 5 would work well, and be an upgrade too and close to the 7 quality wise (just smaller). My room is not huge anyhow and I’m thinking if I go with the 3s I’d have some budget to treat the room too or go 5s and treat room later/next.

I have some older Adam A7, and they work great except for not knowing exactly what's going on in the lows. I should say, my use is mainly crafting tones that will fit in a live mix at church. I guess my only point is to question whether you can adequately hear the lows with a 5 or 3 to mix.

I have the a5x's with a sub8 hooked up to my computer. I got the sub after about a year of just having the a5x's. I now kind of wished that I got the a3x's instead, just because they are smaller. I have used them for the Axe Fx 2/Ax8 and they sound great and now I have my CLR's always hooked up to my Ax8 though and just use the Adams as computer monitors.

I went with the A3X and will add a sub later. If not, I can always move up or something later. I decided with my small room and based on input from others I will give the 3s a go. I have 30 days to return them and move up to the 5s if need be too.

Adam A7 - big improvement over my 10 years old Yorkville s of similar size. One of my best purchases. There must be something to their claims about ribbon tweeters, as they are totally transparent to me, as opposed to many dome or soft dome tweeters.

I agree. I love the ribbon tweeters. I have the older A7's as well and love'm. The tones I dial in on them translate pretty well to my CLR. The CLR seems a little harsh on the highs compared to the A7's but that's to be expected. My only complaint is the power switches failed on both of mine.

At first one speaker's power switch stuck so you couldn't move it (rocker style switch). Far out of warranty so I opened it up to see what could be done. I ended up bypassing the switch. Within a week the second one did the same thing. I re-wired that one as well. Now I control the power with a power strip. Odd thing is I never really used those switches that much over the years. The speakers were either always on or I only powered them off occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom