Adam Audio Studio Monitors are actually made in China

Fowleri

Inspired
They claim that their monitors are made in Germany, which is nonsense, most of their line is actually made in China, the only thing they "hand made" are the tweeters and speakers, that's it everything else, the plastic, the enclosure, the small parts, all of that is Chineses parts and made in China, not Germany.

A lot of companies do this, most of the parts of their products are made in China and only a couple made in USA, Germany, or worse, they simply get all the parts outsourced from China, got them delivered to USA and then claim "made in the USA" when it was just legoed here or Europe.

I bought Adam speakers and they smell like Chinese plastic chemicals that have been impregnating my whole apartment.

I bought them because they claim to be made in Berlin, but is nothing but a lie, all the parts especially the MDF cabinet and plastics are Chinese and reek of chemicals

I really wanted to like them but they're affecting my allergy now, so I'll have to return them. I may get some Genelec studio monitors, made in Finland no outsourcing and with aluminum casing

He's baa...aack!!

Ronald Mcdonald Clown GIF

Respiratory allergies and Hyperesthesia are not a nice thing for those who suffer them. Please, take the OP seriously and show some empathy.

@Fowleri I did read your thread at JemSite forum where you discussed your troubles with some guitar finishes, varnishes, formaldehyde, glues, etc. I hope that you found a nice guitar that doesn't cause you trouble.

Of course, the amount of released chemicals is not necessarily related to the county of origin. He is using a Chinese game console that causes no issues. He has an specific issue with Chinese MDF and Ikea furniture

Wishing good luck and good health

Last edited:
I would say give the guy a break.
How many times have we seen on the news things coming from China that are contaminated.
Dog food etc.

I've spent the last year working on a project researching all the toxic chemicals we expose ourselves to via our guitars. Hopefully in another year I'll have enough data to publish my findings. I'll give you a sneak peek though, it ain't good...

I've spent the last year working on a project researching all the toxic chemicals we expose ourselves to via our guitars. Hopefully in another year I'll have enough data to publish my findings. I'll give you a sneak peek though, it ain't good...

The biggest source for toxic chemicals I see is the finish ... and that can't be that bad. At least not worse than all other everyday items we use.

Are you using GC-MS? Or HPLC?

Respiratory allergies and Hyperesthesia are not a nice thing for those who suffer them. Please, take the OP seriously and show some empathy.

@Fowleri I did read your thread at JemSite forum where you discussed your troubles with some guitar finishes, varnishes, formaldehyde, glues, etc. I hope that you found a nice guitar that doesn't cause you trouble.

Of course, the amount of released chemicals is not necessarily related to the county of origin. He is using a Chinese game console that causes no issues. He has an specific issue with Chinese MDF and Ikea furniture

Wishing good luck and good health

I'm autistic and that may have a lot to do with my sensory issues. Maybe my senses are too strong, I'm able to pick up things others can't and I suffer because of it. My sense of smell must be very sensitive, but yeah you're right, I do own a lot of Chinese stuff in my house such as gaming consoles, my computer, monitor, soundbar, TV, etc.

I realized I'm very sensitive to formaldehyde, so that makes MDF and plywood not good for me. That does not mean that I don't owe MDF products, I just happened to have gotten lucky with the ones I have, as some companies do use lower levels of formaldehyde than others.

For example, my current desk is MDF and I never had an issue with it, probably because the company was health-conscious and used very low levels. In a way, there is no way for me to know in advance if an MDF/plywood product is going to be potent enough to affect me.

Similarly, some plastics made in China have no smell, while others do. Again, there is no way for me to know in advance. The ones that do, really affect my allergy. I'm assuming these products were made with higher levels of chemicals and lower standards.

I don't have a problem with my guitars. I did have a slight problem with one but realized it was just the clearcoat on the maple fretboard that hadn't cured yet, it went away after a couple of months. Guitars for the most part are made of real wood, so if I stick to maple fretboards and polyfinishes I'm fine

Similarly, some plastics made in China have no smell, while others do. Again, there is no way for me to know in advance. The ones that do, really affect my allergy. I'm assuming these products were made with higher levels of chemicals and lower standards.
Sorry to hear about your sensitivities.

Honest question - if there is no way to know in advance, then why this thread?
Is it Adam Company's fault that they can't tell you in advance? Or if this something you experience frequently?
If frequently, and it's not possible to know - then again, that sucks for you....but why a thread to tell others about your allergies?

Sorry to hear about your sensitivities.

Honest question - if there is no way to know in advance, then why this thread?
Is it Adam Company's fault that they can't tell you in advance? Or if this something you experience frequently?
If frequently, and it's not possible to know - then again, that sucks for you....but why a thread to tell others about your allergies?

Perhaps it could help others with similar conditions to make better choices. Why suffer it in silence?

We have threads about tinnitus, tendonitis, arthritis, alzheimer, cancer, cat allergy, pollen allergy, nickel allergy, food allergies, IBS, covid-19, ALS... Why not make room for this one?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom