Active wedge in front or behind you playing live??

I use a Mackie SRM450, ....not sure if my suggestion would be right for you.

You need to tweak your tones at stage volume with a good "flat" FRFR. Assuming the reference "FRFR" is not the CLR and you use the CLR on stage as a monitor and find the highs harsh,....tweak the CLR (Not the Axe8) and calm those highs. This won't affect your carefully crafted tones at the FOH.

Depending on the situation with the stage....I place it in front or to the side depending on audibility needed for bandmates. If the venue is large enough, sometimes I will use it as a backline....but rarely so. I prefer to give full mix control to the sound guy.

I thought that too...but that wasn't case. The Helix was doing weird stuff with my tone.
Now I'm confused. Your tone is harsh through the CLRs, but your Helix was doing weird stuff to your tone.

Assuming the house speakers are relatively flat, I'm guessing your sound guy is doing some high cut on your feed.

This wasn't too bad, but when I stepped off the stage to check sound it seemed like I had no stage sound that the crowd upfront could hear...was just kind of empty on my side of the stage
I use 2 XiTone's in stereo behind me as my backline. One behind me and one on my bass player's side of the stage for this exact reason.

Last edited:
I have used my ASM-12 a few times and so far, I have had it standing up like a speaker cab behind me and also as a wedge behind me. I have not had it as a wedge in front soley due to competition with the other 2 guitars in the band using normal amps.

Now I'm confused. Your tone is harsh through the CLRs, but your Helix was doing weird stuff to your tone.

Assuming the house speakers are relatively flat, I'm guessing your sound guy is doing some high cut on your feed.
Sounded ok out front with the Helix but not what I prefer....VERY digital sounding and very stiff. I could not dial that out no matter what I tried and what the suggestions were. It had that Line 6 "sound" to it. I was talking about my tone in general when I used the Kemper. I didn't have the CLR when I was using it. I would run my kemper direct to foh from the XLRs and ran the monitor out to my amp on stage so I had separate control. I only used the CLR with an amplifire and helix. Amplifire was ok...but helix was not. That turned me off to using a speaker like this and going back to my tube amp, which was AWESOME.

Sounded ok out front with the Helix but not what I prefer....VERY digital sounding and very stiff. I could not dial that out no matter what I tried and what the suggestions were. It had that Line 6 "sound" to it. I was talking about my tone in general when I used the Kemper. I didn't have the CLR when I was using it. I would run my kemper direct to foh from the XLRs and ran the monitor out to my amp on stage so I had separate control. I only used the CLR with an amplifire and helix. Amplifire was ok...but helix was not. That turned me off to using a speaker like this and going back to my tube amp, which was AWESOME.

How are you using your tube amp in conjunction with the AX8?

If you are in a group that you are the only one with out a real amp on stage, I would use it as back line. if all guitars are going none amp I would recommend front wedge so the FOH engineer has full control of the mix for the audience.
Does this work well if your other guitarist uses an analog amp? I am contemplating purchasing a CLR but I already have problems keeping up with the volume of the other guy.

This is the problem right here. The other guitarist has a 100w head and a 4x12 on the other side of the stage. He's dominating the front of stage
I know what you mean brother. The other guitarists volume keeps increasing over during the show. Inevitably we are pulled out of the FOH mix because the stage volume is so loud. We keep brining up the volume problem, but to no avail.

I know what you mean brother. The other guitarists volume keeps increasing over during the show. Inevitably we are pulled out of the FOH mix because the stage volume is so loud. We keep brining up the volume problem, but to no avail.
I freaking hate that. I was in a two guitar band for years and it was always guitar volume wars. Will never do it again unless the other guy was a Fractal or modeler guy as well.

Last edited:
I prefer it in front. If stage size does not allow it in front I will use it behind but I still have it tilted up

just scored an Atomic CLR and I'm wondering if you guys use them as a frontline with the vocal monitors or sit them behind you? I know its gonna be trial and error, but just wondering what works best in a live situation.
I've only used the ax8 for two shows now. The first show I set up my powered JBL eon to face me like a vocal monitor. This wasn't too bad, but when I stepped off the stage to check sound it seemed like I had no stage sound that the crowd upfront could hear...was just kind of empty on my side of the stage
Last night I put it behind me and I had a hard time hearing myself but yet it was throwing some sound out towards the people in front of the stage which made me feel like they could actually 'hear' what I was playing.
I know it may be a stupid question, but I'm new to this kind of playing and I'm trying to adapt. I'm used to a 4x12 cab and a 100w head behind me.
At any rate, the sound guy loved it...and I was the first one loaded up and out the door after the show! Lol

Can't wait to get this CLR. Maybe that'll answer all my question right there?

Thanks

I put it behind me, but either way should work. I dont see why having the people up front hear the CLR would be a problem.

I dont see why having the people up front hear the CLR would be a problem.
Depends on how well FOH covers the front of the stage. If the sound guy has your mix balanced throughout the house, and you add a lot of your own guitar to the first few rows near center stage, those people no longer hear a balanced mix.

Ive always run my ASM behind me just because I only wear 1/2" of my ears normally (bad habit, i know), and our other guitarist uses a 60's era Fender Twin when he switches to electric, and he might as well be deaf.

I generally like to have my backline behind me, but on some stages it's easier / clearer to have my Xitone wedge in front of me. It depends largely on how wide the stage is, and on how far behind me the backline is. We played two shows at the same venue last weekend (Star Theater in Portland, OR), and my backline was about 3 feet behind me. I had some trouble managing feedback on higher gain patches, so for the second night I ditched the backline cabs and just used the Xitone in front of my pedalbord. No feedback, and much easier to hear.

Maybe you could put the CLR in the backline and have the soundman put your guitar in the front monitors a little so you could hear it and the audience could get some of the CLR. In ear monitors can help too.

Back
Top Bottom