Acoustic Treatment

Not sure if this has been discussed in the past, or if this is a really newbie question or both.

Anyway here goes..

Will the quality of tones created for the purpose of recording be better if they are created in a treated room compared to an untreated one?

This certainly seems to be the consensus when mixing or recording other sources.. any thoughts?

Definitely room acoustics come into play. But, they can be very difficult to work with. Keep your expectations in check, don't expect to throw up some egg crate foam on some walls and have it all fixed.

Definitely room acoustics come into play. But, they can be very difficult to work with. Keep your expectations in check, don't expect to throw up some egg crate foam on some walls and have it all fixed.
If it was that easy, there would be no need for the noise control engineering profession.

Not sure if this has been discussed in the past, or if this is a really newbie question or both.

Anyway here goes..

Will the quality of tones created for the purpose of recording be better if they are created in a treated room compared to an untreated one?

This certainly seems to be the consensus when mixing or recording other sources.. any thoughts?

The quality of your recordings are dependent on your ability to accurately hear what's being recorded. The tones themselves won't change simply by introducing acoustic treatment into your room, however your ability to accurately hear what's being recorded will and that in turn can influence how you shape the sound.

I'd recommend this guide from SOS.

Last edited:
Complex question. If going direct, then room acoustics are meaningless regarding what goes in, but will always play a significant role in what comes out. The listening environment is very important regarding the mix. Using accurate headphones for placement in the stereo field and quality reference monitors for the overall mix have a big impact on the quality of the mix, but the listening environment is critical. Even if the recording is done in a good studio, it still needs to be mastered.

The real question is what is the purpose of the recording? Commercial release? Demo? Just for personal listening? The end purpose of the recording really drives what gets put into it, IMHO.

As long as you know the room, and system as a whole, and can adjust accordingly, then you 'can' get equivalent results, BUT, that is a lot easier said than done.

Whole point of good reference monitors, in a well treated room, with what can be assumed to be normal hearing sensativity, is that you can trust your ears. If something sounds off, then you can hear it, adjust it, and know that those adjustments should translate well to other systems.

Thing is, most people don't really have great monitors, nor perfect placement, nor a treated room, and as a result, maybe your adjust the bass to where you think it sounds nice and full, yet not overpowering. Well, maybe your room and system as a whole results in not flat response, but a greatly hyped up low end....what happens then ? You hear your mix on another system and there is hardly any bass, or vice versa.

This is why its kind of silly seeing people drop $2k on a great monitors, but then go stick them in a corner, sitting on their desk, in an untreated room. You paid for the best monitors yet what your hearing is far, far less accurate than even something like a $150 M-Audio monitor in a treated room.

Diffusion panels are expensive though, bass traps are expensive too. Not realistic to expect many people to have a well treated room at home given the cost, and without proper measurement your still not sure what your getting.

What you can do though is at least follow some basic tips, such as don't put your speakers in the corner (see another thread) and don't put them right against the wall. Don't put them flat on your desk, get some isolation mats, they aren't pricey. Maybe put some drapes up over the windows (wife will be happy to do that I'm sure) etc.

Little things to at least avoid any huge pitfalls, and still keep a shared use room looking like a normal room and not a recording stuff (unless your spouse is fine with that route!)

Regardless of what you do, learn your system.

LIsten to some well known tracks, concentrate on the mix, then go listen to that same track on a home stereo, through your car stereo etc, other systems, what differences do you hear ? Does the stereo field sound wider with more depth ? Do you still hear the bass, can you hear the damper pedal on a piano recorded acoustically etc ??

I've had systems that I learned were a little harsh or "forward", so where if I dialed things back on the highs, when I listened elsewhere it was a little muted. I learned I needed things to sound a little harsh on my monitors because that would mean it sounds just "right" on other systems.

Its not rocket science, but its a difficult skill to master, with a fair bit of subjective taste, and the good sense to know when to ignore one's own taste and make something that will sound good to most listeners, if that is the end goal

The real question is what is the purpose of the recording? Commercial release? Demo? Just for personal listening? The end purpose of the recording really drives what gets put into it, IMHO.

I definitely don't do anything musically for a living. It's purely my hobby at this point, however I want to create the best possible sounding music I can even if it's just for my own personal enjoyment. I also wouldn't be opposed to using my home studio as a source of auxiliary income even if it's just on a part-time basis at some point in time.

I definitely don't do anything musically for a living. It's purely my hobby at this point, however I want to create the best possible sounding music I can even if it's just for my own personal enjoyment. I also wouldn't be opposed to using my home studio as a source of auxiliary income even if it's just on a part-time basis at some point in time.
I get that 100%. I am in pretty much the same boat. I use my home studio [Electric Geezerland] for a variety of things. I have used it for commercial recordings, such as Touch the Sky Vol II (Supernal Endgame on 10-T Records). We recorded some tracks here, we also worked on treating the drum tracks here (edits), recorded the violin tracks here, stuff like that. I have done some mastering here. Most notably "Rejuvenation" an album by New Age Artist Mark Bowers. I mastered Mark's album.

Electric Geezerland does have acoustic treatment as @Rex suggested. I have bass traps in the corners of the room, a treated area for recording vocals and acoustic instruments, and a treated area for mixing and mastering. I bought the best stuff I could afford, but I make no pretense that my home studio is like a commercial studio. I have done a lot of session work, and Electric Geezerland would best be described as "modest" compared to some of the studios I have worked in. If you want to hear the result of what can be done in a home studio, I suggest you give a listen to Supernal Endgame's Touch the Sky Volume II. I am no longer in SE but thankfully my work with SE is captured on that album. SE is a Christian prog band. I am very proud of the album and the music we made together. Sounds good to my ears.

Back
Top Bottom