Accepted a new job - need advice

Depending on the company, and what you work on, some will show you the door when you put in notice. It sounds like yours doesn't. To be honest, it might be nice to put in notice, and then take a little break yourself before starting a new job.

I absolutely wouldn't do anything until they're basically waiting for you to start at the new job. I've seen several people, in the current climate, have offers rescinded, after they've put in notice. Talk about awkward.

Hi,

It' not official until it's official.

Pauly

Not all of us on here are professional musicians and some of us have boring professional jobs.

I work in the chemical manufacturing industry and accepted a new job last night (better pay, benefits, etc.)

Aside from a difficult boss, there's nothing wrong with my current job and I've become good friends with my immediate colleagues.

I want to tell them about my impending departure so that we can transitioning my stuff around.. but I have not yet put in a 2-week notice, or been cleared for hire for my new job.

I know they would appreciate the heads up, but at the same time, it would become very awkward if my offer doesn't actually materialize (very slim chance) or if the news leaks to other departments.

Curious to know what the consensus is here.

Depending on the company, and what you work on, some will show you the door when you put in notice. It sounds like yours doesn't. To be honest, it might be nice to put in notice, and then take a little break yourself before starting a new job.

I absolutely wouldn't do anything until they're basically waiting for you to start at the new job. I've seen several people, in the current climate, have offers rescinded, after they've put in notice. Talk about awkward.
That sounds like an absolute nightmare!

What industry was this in?

Congrats on the new job. I used to work for a software company that had a firm policy prohibiting you from telling anyone but your supervisor that you were leaving the company. People broke that policy from time to time, but had to be very hush-hush about it. 🙄

I have a relative that's been working there for 2 years so I got the inside scoop on everything. I quit partaking in cannabis use almost 10 years ago (geez I'm getting old!) and don't use any other illegal substances.

The background check is primarily to check my credentials as I don't have a criminal record..

... And now I just realized how much of a square I am! :sweatsmile::sweatsmile:
Better to be square than convicted.

Don't tell anyone or resign until the background check is done and you are cleared to start at your new job, then tell your direct manager first, and let them dictate how you communicate to your coworkers. Then you can tell friends if you really want, but best to have your manager be the first person to know. I have no criminal record and one time the background company took 7 weeks to validate my college degree and work history, if I had resigned before then I would have 5 weeks of pay gap. Was a mess.

Back
Top Bottom