Accepted a new job - need advice

Not all of us on here are professional musicians and some of us have boring professional jobs.

I work in the chemical manufacturing industry and accepted a new job last night (better pay, benefits, etc.)

Aside from a difficult boss, there's nothing wrong with my current job and I've become good friends with my immediate colleagues.

I want to tell them about my impending departure so that we can transitioning my stuff around.. but I have not yet put in a 2-week notice, or been cleared for hire for my new job.

I know they would appreciate the heads up, but at the same time, it would become very awkward if my offer doesn't actually materialize (very slim chance) or if the news leaks to other departments.

Curious to know what the consensus is here.

Word to the wise: Don't burn your bridges until you've crossed them.

IOW, don't send out a email notifying your colleagues of your departure until you've received the green light on the new job. That way, you won't look foolish if you've said goodbye but realized the new job hasn't hired you yet.

You need to have the offer letter in your hand signed ready to send back. Fully confirmed would be even better.

I’ve even had that situation blow up (about 6 years ago) which put me into early retirement, thankfully 😅

You should give your employer notice as much as you feel comfortable with; 2 weeks is minimum.

Take some time off between jobs if you need to.

Good luck!

Not all of us on here are professional musicians and some of us have boring professional jobs.

I work in the chemical manufacturing industry and accepted a new job last night (better pay, benefits, etc.)

Aside from a difficult boss, there's nothing wrong with my current job and I've become good friends with my immediate colleagues.

I want to tell them about my impending departure so that we can transitioning my stuff around.. but I have not yet put in a 2-week notice, or been cleared for hire for my new job.

I know they would appreciate the heads up, but at the same time, it would become very awkward if my offer doesn't actually materialize (very slim chance) or if the news leaks to other departments.

Quick story: I once had a job offer and the next day I hadn't heard further about next steps. I found out the hiring manager was fired the night before and thus the offer no longer existed. Don't say anything until the new job is 100% secured. And, good luck in the new job.

I have been in this position many times in the past. I always handled it by asking my new employer if they were ok with 2 weeks notice at my old employer so I could provide a smooth transition at my old employer. I haven't had one say no. They always just pushed out my start date to accommodate that. Most do this because they would want you to do the same for them.

Word to the wise: Don't burn your bridges until you've crossed them.

IOW, don't send out a email notifying your colleagues of your departure until you've received the green light on the new job. That way, you won't look foolish if you've said goodbye but realized the new job hasn't hired you yet.
we say "don't give the sparrow in your hand for the crow on the fence". Probably because the sparrow is small but IS yours compared to a crow which is larger but is BLACK :)

Thanks for the advice!

For further context, I have accepted the job agreed to salary, benefits, etc.

I'm just pending a background check, drug screen, and physical to be cleared.

Take the background checks and screening seriously…

Federal laws haven’t changed and lots of companies contract with the federal government and are therefore subject to their rules and regulations, no matter how crazy.

Thanks for the advice!

For further context, I have accepted the job agreed to salary, benefits, etc.

I'm just pending a background check, drug screen, and physical to be cleared.
So then once you are cleared there will be a discussion about your start date. You say, "In case they want me stay for 2 weeks to provide a transition is that ok or do you prefer that I start right away?"

They will say either "Sure if we were in that position we would appreciate that too" or "We really need you to start on this date". If they say sure done, but whatever date they tell you to start you go to your soon to be former employer and say "I have accepted another job that starts on XX/XX/XX. Sorry for the short notice I did try to see if they could give me 2 weeks but they need me by that date."

All above board and done right. Then you can have a guilt free adventure in your new job knowing you did your best to be professional either way.

I have been in this position many times in the past. I always handled it by asking my new employer if they were ok with 2 weeks notice at my old employer so I could provide a smooth transition at my old employer. I haven't had one say no. They always just pushed out my start date to accommodate that. Most do this because they would want you to do the same for them.
^^^ This, 100%.

Take the background checks and screening seriously…

Federal laws haven’t changed and lots of companies contract with the federal government and are therefore subject to their rules and regulations, no matter how crazy.
I have a relative that's been working there for 2 years so I got the inside scoop on everything. I quit partaking in cannabis use almost 10 years ago (geez I'm getting old!) and don't use any other illegal substances.

The background check is primarily to check my credentials as I don't have a criminal record..

... And now I just realized how much of a square I am! :sweatsmile::sweatsmile:

Back
Top Bottom