AC30 tone without the monster treble?

james...

Experienced
I'm fully aware that the lack of bass response is part of this amp's charm. But it's just too thin for me. I have one of those older Les Pauls that gets really crisp and I can't really dial the "icepicking" out of this amp.

I really don't like having to go nuts on it with the GEQ.

Any suggestions?

I've tried both with similar results. The Top Boost is just worse about it than the Class A.

Maybe the brit 2x12 is too bright...

I'm fully aware that the lack of bass response is part of this amp's charm. But it's just too thin for me. I have one of those older Les Pauls that gets really crisp and I can't really dial the "icepicking" out of this amp.

I really don't like having to go nuts on it with the GEQ.

Any suggestions?

Put a PEQ after the cab and use a blocking EQ type then roll it back until you like what you hear.

It is pretty dark, overall. It's just there's something on the high end of the treble that seems harsh.

Yep, diming the master will compress your tone and give you a very thin and trebly tone. Try one (or some combination) of these:

1) Roll the master back to 6 or 7 (this WILL change the feel of the amp somewhat--- maybe better for you, maybe worse)
2) Try a different cabinet (I prefer a stereo cab block with the 2x12 Black and 1x12 Open both with the R121 mics)
3) Hi-Cut (in the advanced settings) starting at 9,007Hz and go down from there
4) Lower the damp
5) Decrease the presence (functions as the 'cut' knob would on an AC30)
5) Roll off the tone knob on your guitar

Hope this helps!
-AL

I normally keep the high cut (advanced settings) as low as it will go, all other tone controls at noon, 2 x 12 brit, through a QSCK10 and it sounds pretty much exactly like the real thing (a/b side by side). Key is that high cut.....

I normally keep the high cut (advanced settings) as low as it will go, all other tone controls at noon, 2 x 12 brit, through a QSCK10 and it sounds pretty much exactly like the real thing (a/b side by side). Key is that high cut.....
What do you mean as low as it will go?

Yep, diming the master will compress your tone and give you a very thin and trebly tone. Try one (or some combination) of these:

1) Roll the master back to 6 or 7 (this WILL change the feel of the amp somewhat--- maybe better for you, maybe worse)
2) Try a different cabinet (I prefer a stereo cab block with the 2x12 Black and 1x12 Open both with the R121 mics)
3) Hi-Cut (in the advanced settings) starting at 9,007Hz and go down from there
4) Lower the damp
5) Decrease the presence (functions as the 'cut' knob would on an AC30)
5) Roll off the tone knob on your guitar

Hope this helps!
-AL

Actually the damp is already at 0 on the Class A type amps. I agree dialing it back a bit may help. I keep mine between 8-9.2
I have to say I thinks the AC30s sound better with the master up.
Not surprising because the originals did not have a master volume.

Turning the presence down (to the negative range) is a great start.
Adjust the presence freq can help target things.

And the tone knob on the guitar can have a huge impact.

As has been said, try different cab models.

I have always hated the AC30 sound. First in real, later in modellers, too.
Generally I am not a fan of the EL84 sound, the 6V6 is my small tube of choice.

Actually the damp is already at 0 on the Class A type amps. I agree dialing it back a bit may help. I keep mine between 8-9.2
I have to say I thinks the AC30s sound better with the master up.
Not surprising because the originals did not have a master volume.

Turning the presence down (to the negative range) is a great start.
Adjust the presence freq can help target things.

And the tone knob on the guitar can have a huge impact.

As has been said, try different cab models.

+1 to all of this

I'm a big fan of the Topboost both in real life and in the Axe-FX. 2x12 Brit sounds right to me although I'll occasionally others. Keep the master near max, presence in the negative range, and work your guitar's tone control to really see what the amp can do. Using the presence as a cut and the controls on your guitar are the real keys IMO.

D

Back
Top Bottom