About Phase

tolchocks

Hey there, Im posting this so we can discuss a lil about the role of phase between mics when recording a real amp, and the emulation of this in the axe fx. I've seen many pro mixers saying that playing with phase can bring your tone a nice character and even make it more defined. And when they say "playing with phase" they refer to making them OUT of phase. In certain spots the comb filtering produces nice tones. What are your thoughts on this?
Now... If in the axe you put a room IR and a close miked IR, the result will not be real because the only thing happening there is mixing two different EQ's (from each IR), and not the relationship that happens when you really put a mic in a distant spot. The answer could be to add a very short delay and adjust till it sounds right, so there is some phase cancellation. Comments?

Greetz

Imo, phase anomalies sound bad, and I'm glad I don't have to hassle with them when using multiple mics. I used to play noise through the speakers, record that, and then align the tracks perfectly. Not a problem with room mics though, the distance difference is enough to fix that.

Last edited:
I just use a chorus or flanger block post amp.

Then dial in just the smallest amount of mix to give the tone a little motion and depth.

As has been said, the delay parameter in the cab block is just for this. I use it sometimes, it can be really helpful. A small change in delay can do some really good or really bad things.

Back
Top Bottom