About amps and channels

Urke

I'm thrilled about the new Axe FX III! At the same time I find myself wondering about the functionality of "channels"...

I always wanted the Axe FX II to be able to recreate and model an entire amp, with all preamp channels modeled simultaneously, accessible by virtual "switching". I understand that this is not possible in the current hardware due to CPU limitations.

I had high hopes that something to that effect would be included in the next generation hardware. Seems like the channels as described are only faster X/Y with 2 extra states. While that is wonderful and makes live playing much more enjoyable, I was silently hoping for something more.

I'm curious though; Is there enough horsepower in the III to pull of what I'm suggesting? That you would have, say, all 3 preamps in the CAE3+ available with "seamless" switching. Would it be possible to model only the extra preamps and leave the poweramp, presence circuit etc. as they are?

I'm thrilled about the new Axe FX III! At the same time I find myself wondering about the functionality of "channels"...

I always wanted the Axe FX II to be able to recreate and model an entire amp, with all preamp channels modeled simultaneously, accessible by virtual "switching". I understand that this is not possible in the current hardware due to CPU limitations.

I had high hopes that something to that effect would be included in the next generation hardware. Seems like the channels as described are only faster X/Y with 2 extra states. While that is wonderful and makes live playing much more enjoyable, I was silently hoping for something more.

I'm curious though; Is there enough horsepower in the III to pull of what I'm suggesting? That you would have, say, all 3 preamps in the CAE3+ available with "seamless" switching. Would it be possible to model only the extra preamps and leave the poweramp, presence circuit etc. as they are?
Cliff has intimated since the announcement that this is a new platform, with apparently much more juice in the innards which, given Mr. Chase’s proclivity for speedy evolution and frequent epiphanies ,will afford him the opportunity to do some really cool stuff, with time. Whether your request will be addressed...??

This is the quote the release.
"Channels provide quick, easy parameter switching without the unwanted side-effects of preset changes (due to grid reordering). Set the Amp block so that Channel A is a “Deluxe Verb” model, Channel B is a “Plexi”, Channel C is a “Recto” and Channel D is “FAS Modern”. Then change channels instantly at the touch of a button."

So why couldn't you load 4 different recto models into 4 different channels. Then you would be able to seamlessly switch between red modern, orange modern, red vintage, orange vintage. For example. That would be just like having multiple channels if an amp, no?

Last edited:
This is the quote the release.
"Channels provide quick, easy parameter switching without the unwanted side-effects of preset changes (due to grid reordering). Set the Amp block so that Channel A is a “Deluxe Verb” model, Channel B is a “Plexi”, Channel C is a “Recto” and Channel D is “FAS Modern”. Then change channels instantly at the touch of a button."

So why couldn't you load 4 different recto models into 4 different channels. Then you would be able to seamlessly switch between red modern, orange modern, red vintage, orange vintage. For example. That would be just like having multiple channels if an amp, no?
@Pwrmac7600 nailed it. What you’re requesting is just a limited part of what Channels can already do.

That's how I see it too. You could model 4 channels of a MkIV, a Quickrod, a JVM, a CAE, or whatever. Add in the Boost switch, or put a controller on the Gain, and that's quite a beast you've got in one preset.

Back
Top Bottom