Wish Ability to designate a folder on computer's HD to access presets

Jason Scott

Fractal Fanatic
I don't know if it's possible, but in Axe-Edit, I'd be interested in the ability to designate a folder from my computer's hard drive to store and recall presets. I can envision the preset browser utilizing a drop-down menu to allow for the selection of either local or external storage. This would allow for virtually unlimited preset storage space. As it is, yes, I can drag and drop presets from Window's File Explorer onto Axe-Edit, but having the functionality built into the editor would be super convenient.

I don't know if it's possible, but in Axe-Edit, I'd be interested in the ability to designate a folder from my computer's hard drive to store and recall presets. I can envision the preset browser utilizing a drop-down menu to allow for the selection of either local or external storage. This would allow for virtually unlimited preset storage space. As it is, yes, I can drag and drop presets from Window's File Explorer onto Axe-Edit, but having the functionality built into the editor would be super convenient.
Tools > Manage Presets.

Tools > Manage Presets.

This works for simple auditioning, but it's not a practical replacement for the standard preset selection window. For instance, you're presented with a warning message every time you access the Manage Presets screen subsequent to selecting a new preset from the list. Further, you have to re-select the desired directory every time you boot up.

i've just kept the folder open and drag the preset i want to the Preset Name area in edit. i'm not sure i'd want Edit to have to read presets every time it opens, which i'm sure would be a necessity. further, i can group presets in folders and just use the computers Explorer/Finder capabilities for preset management.

i've just kept the folder open and drag the preset i want to the Preset Name area in edit. i'm not sure i'd want Edit to have to read presets every time it opens, which i'm sure would be a necessity.

You don't have to drag presets to a slot to audition them. Double-clicking or selecting Auto-Audition works. That'll load the preset into Axe-Edit. You can exit Manage Presets by hitting Escape and edit parameters, per usual, and then save the preset to a slot using Preset -> Save to New Preset Number. That's fine. However, when attempting to re-access Manage Presets you're presented with the standard warning message, which would become annoying rather quickly assuming you wanted to use Manage Cabs as a replacement for the standard Preset selection window.

Further, as mentioned, you have to reselect your preset directory in Manage Presets every time you load Axe-Edit.

further, i can group presets in folders and just use the computers Explorer/Finder capabilities for preset management.

Sure, and I've done that, but when you've got several apps open, having to juggle Windows to locate your preset directory is not nearly as convenient or practical as using a built-in browser. I'm referring to dragging presets from Explorer to Axe-Edit, by the way.

Last edited:
You don't have to drag presets to a slot to audition them. Double-clicking or selecting Auto-Audition works. That'll load the preset into Axe-Edit. You can exit Manage Presets by hitting Escape and edit parameters, per usual, and then save the preset to a slot using Preset -> Save to New Preset Number. That's fine. However, when attempting to re-access Manage Presets you're presented with the standard warning message, which would become annoying rather quickly assuming you wanted to use Manage Cabs as a replacement for the standard Preset selection window.
understood. i was speaking about some sort of "computer directory" that you're asking about. i'm pretty sure it would have to scan that folder every time it opened as it's a different device than the Axe and could potentially change more frequently than the presets already on the Axe.

maybe a different wish would be to auto-dismiss the Manage Preset warning?

understood. i was speaking about some sort of "computer directory" that you're asking about. i'm pretty sure it would have to scan that folder every time it opened as it's a different device than the Axe and could potentially change more frequently than the presets already on the Axe.

The time it took to scan a directory I'd previously scanned with 543 presets was less than a second in Manage Presets. I'm not sure if that's due to the directory having already been scanned during subsequent sessions, but it's extraordinarily fast. I made sure to close Axe-Edit and re-boot just to be sure that wasn't a factor. Try it.

The warning that pops up in Manage Presets pertains to unsaved changes being discarded.

View attachment 73829
ahh i see. that's due to changes in the current preset i think. if the "edit" light is on that would pop up. not sure if it always pops up. i think i just hit enter to dismiss it. maybe that one could also have an option.

Okay, but it doesn't pop up when the light is on and I switch presets.
are you launching Manage Presets in that instance? that pop-up is specifically for that, as someone may not know.

there is a separate option on the hardware to notify for changing presets when an edit has been made.

are you launching Manage Presets in that instance? that pop-up is specifically for that, as someone may not know.

there is a separate option on the hardware to notify for changing presets when an edit has been made.

Are you referring to "Prompt on Edited Preset Change" in Global Settings? If so, that's set to off. The option is also available in Axe-Edit's Setup > Config.

Are you referring to "Prompt on Edited Preset Change" in Global Settings? If so, that's set to off. That option's also available in Axe-Edit's Setup > Config.
right, that's why nothing is popping up when you just switch presets. the pop up you showed is specifically for Manage Presets and it seems there's no option to turn that one specifically off.

right, that's why nothing is popping up when you just switch presets.

Just tried it and even when the option is turned on, there's no warning when switching presets with unsaved changes.

the pop up you showed is specifically for Manage Presets and it seems there's no option to turn that one specifically off.

Exactly, there's no option to turn it off. I submitted a wish for such in the Axe-Edit section.

Back
Top Bottom