A Study in Plexis

Love this! Reminded me to come "home" to the Plexi next time I boot up.

Next time you're floating around for juicy tones like these, consider the Normal channel, drive backed off to about 8, and then hit the front with the treble booster - really adds some tang!

Other alternative is to pick your favourite tone (the 6550 or Hi 1), back off the volume just a bit (drive at 9), and run the SDD Preamp into the front, drive down around 1.

You're welcome!

I really love that initial 6550.

But can I take a moment to say how much I love the responses on this thread? Some many different favorites and it really shows that it's all in the eye of the beholder. No amount of cork sniffing can affect how others hear tones, so it proves that there really are so many easy tones that sound great, immediately available. I love it.

I like 50w Hi1 and 50w Jump the best of those but it depends on the rest of the mix. Don't forget about the mother of all plexi's the 1959SLP. The 1987x models have their own flavor too.

You guys that like the JTM 45 (me too!) try it with the Plexi 100 tonestack. Kind of moves to towards the JTM black flag era amps. Full sounding but with a tad more crunch.

I have to admit I'm surprised no one has commented on the speaker IR choice and CAB block setup yet. :)
Two first 50W'ers definitely, but I prefer with a 4x12 TVcab. To my ears something was inherently wrong with tightness related to the cab and guessed it was not a 4x12cab, or at least a cab I never used. I couldn't see the cabname though with fractool (not connected). Loaded in the unit after seeing your post and saw it's a 1x12. But howbeit, cabs will eternally remain a matter of taste. IMHO the 100W have too much low end.

I have to admit I'm surprised no one has commented on the speaker IR choice and CAB block setup yet. :)

@iaresee The EV12L. Nice choice with the R121 + a little proximity. I just got the ML Brit collection 2 and tried you patch with "ML Brit BB 160" from the Aces folder. Great option for Gilmore/Floyd solo's with a LP!! Yep, a LP (an R9 with Duncan Skinnerburst PAF's)

@iaresee The EV12L. Nice choice with the R121 + a little proximity. I just got the ML Brit collection 2 and tried you patch with "ML Brit BB 160" from the Aces folder. Great option for Gilmore/Floyd solo's with a LP!! Yep, a LP (an R9 with Duncan Skinnerburst PAF's)
I bought that cab pack but won't get to play with it until Sunday!

Two first 50W'ers definitely, but I prefer with a 4x12 TVcab. To my ears something was inherently wrong with tightness related to the cab and guessed it was not a 4x12cab, or at least a cab I never used. I couldn't see the cabname though with fractool (not connected). Loaded in the unit after seeing your post and saw it's a 1x12. But howbeit, cabs will eternally remain a matter of taste. IMHO the 100W have too much low end.
Good spot on it not being a 4x12. It was an EV12L IR. I would normally pair a 4x12 with Marshalls too but I really wanted to go outside my habits with this -- I'm pretty pleased with the results.

I also found the 100W models too bass-y, but the experiment was done using all the same control settings so that's probably not the best way to do these things. Easy enough to dial that woof out, but how cool is it that the models woof and fart like the real things even when you're feeding them a re-amp signal like that? Really speaks volumes about how amazing the modeling is in these boxes IMHO.

Speaking of outside IRs -- if you folks haven't tried the Cabs in the Attic pack you're really missing out on some super cool, non-standard cab IRs.

But can I take a moment to say how much I love the responses on this thread? Some many different favorites and it really shows that it's all in the eye of the beholder. No amount of cork sniffing can affect how others hear tones, so it proves that there really are so many easy tones that sound great, immediately available. I love it.
Right? Right! We're talking wine now -- it's all personal taste!

Good spot on it not being a 4x12. It was an EV12L IR. I would normally pair a 4x12 with Marshalls too but I really wanted to go outside my habits with this -- I'm pretty pleased with the results.

I also found the 100W models too bass-y, but the experiment was done using all the same control settings so that's probably not the best way to do these things. Easy enough to dial that woof out, but how cool is it that the models woof and fart like the real things even when you're feeding them a re-amp signal like that? Really speaks volumes about how amazing the modeling is in these boxes IMHO.

Speaking of outside IRs -- if you folks haven't tried the Cabs in the Attic pack you're really missing out on some super cool, non-standard cab IRs.
Yeah, to fart is great, especially under the sheets when you're sleeping alone, and with the guitar when speeding up the engine. Vrrrrooomm!

It's odd that I somehow feel disconnected with the 1987x re-issue.

The 1987X was my mainstay Marshall amp for crunch/70's tones for a long time until the Hook 2A replaced it. Don't see a lot of love for the 1987X around here but I love it, along with the JTM45. Both are a little more difficult to dial in vs other Marshall models and I can see why you might not bond with it.

The 1987X was my mainstay Marshall amp for crunch/70's tones for a long time until the Hook 2A replaced it. Don't see a lot of love for the 1987X around here but I love it, along with the JTM45. Both are a little more difficult to dial in vs other Marshall models and I can see why you might not bond with it.

I love both of these models. Odd to me that they don't get much love. Different strokes I guess...

My vote: iaresee - A Study in Plexis: Plexi 50W Hi 1 - Most clarity, least muddiness, boominess, and most ability to cut through the mix

I've honestly never really dug into the plexi amps. But a quick pretty much stock patch of the 50W jump (i just dimed the input as the original poster noted) running into factory 59 (4x12 TV mix) with a bit o' verb and delay is AMAZING!! Holy crap how did I miss this?!?!

Throw a tape dist block in front with the drive set to about 6 and the tone to 6.5 for a boost too.

Just lost an hour of my life at 110dB.

Back
Top Bottom