A Security tool wreaks havoc globally

Mohi

Experienced
So it seems Crowdstrike Falcon Sensor, an EDR tool, has caused thousands of computers around the world to hit a BSOD, and we thought it would be AI what would put us on our knees….

EDR tools have access to the OS at a very low level so doing something funny there can lead to …. this.

The consequences are just immense, I wonder what responsibility the company will have to deal with …. Millions of people are affected at many levels.

Axe-FX here not affected. Everything business as usual 👍🏼
This Is Fine GIF

So it seems Crowdstrike Falcon Sensor, an EDR tool, has caused thousands of computers around the world to hit a BSOD, and we thought it would be AI what would put us on our knees….

EDR tools have access to the OS at a very low level so doing something funny there can lead to …. this.

The consequences are just immense, I wonder what responsibility the company will have to deal with …. Millions of people are affected at many levels.
Holy cow, i hope my flight back home on Tuesday will happen, otherwise i'm blocked with you there ^^

We're not directly affected, but some of our providers are.

The speed of the Wikipedia article getting updated with global effects is cool and interesting.

No word from CrowdStrike on how the file got corrupted, or more strikingly, how it got out of the building like that. They must have multiple layers of checks in place, so wth happened?

When I make my code changes live I always wonder what they'll break, in spite of my best efforts. I've never done anything like this though!

Gigged last night and saw some commotion with the staff. The entire hotel credit card system went down and some computers had the BSOD so no check ins, no payments at the bar. I wonder how many other gigs this week are affected. bar closed early…. But only after I finished playing LOL

Article is a bit misleading. It's not a Windows problem. It's Crowdstrike's drivers that are hosing machines. Modern Windows systems that don't use Crowdstrike's drivers are completely unaffected.
Only PC's that use Crowdstrike are impacted.. which is mostly corporate machines. Most personal PC's are not affected. There are workarounds, but it's unlikely that corp IT will let you fix it.. maybe a roll-back from the IT guys?

Back
Top Bottom