A quick note on the first 50 factory presets

Looks like the JBL has a high pass at 120hz. So we should be cutting 31 -12db and 63 Hz -6db to get a similar frequency response in our monitors. I found that doing this in the global EQ has really tightened up loose bass in the presets.

From the JBL spec sheet:

Frequency Range (-10 dB): 70 Hz – 20 kHz
Frequency Response (±3 dB): 83 Hz – 18 kHz

This tells me that the presets are made with a "limited" range speaker. Hmmm...thoughts?

I made it through practice last night with pretty much stock presets for my main tones. Still gushing over the orange which just blows me away. That and the bogner blue got the most play time. The recto and JVM patches beat up my "PAF" pups a bit much. Chances are, those pups are headed to the shelf. New guitar, had to try them. I dont think they had a JVM OD1 in those days!

Was also my first night with the matrix GTX1000, just through a 2x12 in stereo mode. I hear mainy the RFC and the 2x12 is for the rest of the band, but they were thrilled that I was back to the axe and off the KPA. Though in fairness, that is because they like the violin and cello I throw into some songs. I struggled getting it set up all night, mainly because the MFC was set up to use the kemper, the presets were all new, the pedals were in different places, and I didnt have the labels, it had been long enough that it took me most of the night to remember that i needed to change output 2 to 11 as well, so the volume pedal works on both. I didnt update the mfc yet, and I left it, so I wont update it soon. It worked well enough as my brain clouds cleared. The other major snafu-I fixed the wah on all the presets except the first-my fender cleans preset. It was thin and bright and even after switching the amp it didnt dawn on me for a few songs-I just turned down the volume knob and used the bogner. Eventually light dawned and it is good to go. Looking forward to next week-without the self inflicted setup issues. I could have played it safe and stuck with the KPA, but the greasy orange made it worth it.

One question

Most of you have noticed by now that we decided to increase the number of basic "amp+cab+effects" presets to 50 in the new V6 Bank A.

The feedback seems to be extremely positive thus far and we're really glad to hear it. I thought you guys might be interested in how we re-tweaked these presets because it is a method that will probably work well for others.

The setup used was a Matrix GT1000FX running into two JBL SRX700 monitors.

The first step was to reset the amp block entirely by double clicking on bypass. This clears out all amp settings and reloads the default values for the selected amp type (another nice bonus is it no longer resets type all the way back down to Bassman '59). Next, we selected an appropriate mono cab or stereo cab combo to go with that amp. Then we tweaked master and drive for the appropriate level of gain depending upon whether or not the amp being modeled has a master volume knob.

In many cases, this got us 95% of the way there. The remaining tweaks were subtle changes to the tone controls, depth, and presence. In some cases we changed them all a little bit and on other amps it's almost all default settings. Other times we would add a different mic or cab just to get a bit more of a particular flavor we were looking for. But most of these "final 5%" tweaks are subjective tastes. I barely touched the advanced parameter tabs.

So in summary:
1. Reset amp type
2. Find a cab block choice that works for you
3. Use tone controls for final adjustments
4. Use advanced parameters only if absolutely necessary

This is great info and I love the sounds in v6.0 Its definitely a huge step up from previous updates. One question I am confused about - some folks recommend doing a system reset though the system menu, others say you don't need it. I don't know what will happen if I do a system reset - does it reset all the amps? We need someone from Fractal rather than people on the forum debating this, to tell us whether this System reset is recommended for best results. If not do we have to reset each amp block in each preset as you describe above? Please help! Thanks so much.

Most of you have noticed by now that we decided to increase the number of basic "amp+cab+effects" presets to 50 in the new V6 Bank A.

The feedback seems to be extremely positive thus far and we're really glad to hear it. I thought you guys might be interested in how we re-tweaked these presets because it is a method that will probably work well for others.

The setup used was a Matrix GT1000FX running into two JBL SRX700 monitors.

The first step was to reset the amp block entirely by double clicking on bypass. This clears out all amp settings and reloads the default values for the selected amp type (another nice bonus is it no longer resets type all the way back down to Bassman '59). Next, we selected an appropriate mono cab or stereo cab combo to go with that amp. Then we tweaked master and drive for the appropriate level of gain depending upon whether or not the amp being modeled has a master volume knob.

In many cases, this got us 95% of the way there. The remaining tweaks were subtle changes to the tone controls, depth, and presence. In some cases we changed them all a little bit and on other amps it's almost all default settings. Other times we would add a different mic or cab just to get a bit more of a particular flavor we were looking for. But most of these "final 5%" tweaks are subjective tastes. I barely touched the advanced parameter tabs.

So in summary:
1. Reset amp type
2. Find a cab block choice that works for you
3. Use tone controls for final adjustments
4. Use advanced parameters only if absolutely necessary

If, as Cliff has said recently, the Matrix amps are known to not have a flat response, why would you use them as opposed to a true hi-fidelity power amp for this process, especially if all your tweaking was done through passive FRFR monitors?

If, as Cliff has said recently, the Matrix amps are known to not have a flat response, why would you use them as opposed to a true hi-fidelity power amp for this process, especially if all your tweaking was done through passive FRFR monitors?

As noted - not all people play with the exact same gear. You will need to tweak even the factory presets to some extent in order to have them meet your preferences. Adam or Cliff are not coming over to anyone's house to spin the knobs for them. Some use FRFR, some do not. Some use linear power amps, some do not. I think the actual point was that this box can play nice with all gear and was used in that manner to check when the factory presets were done.

I don't use a power amp of any sort to generate any of my onstage or in studio tone; but the Axe-FX II seems to be fine to me. Of course, I don't rely on others to dial it for me... ;) :D ... and neither should you (not that you do). Snark aside, can you see my point though?

Scott pretty much took the words out of my mouth.

We've got one person asking why we didn't use a perfectly flat 20hz to 20khz speaker and another asking why we didn't use a perfectly flat power amp. How many of our users would have a perfectly flat setup like that?

Cliff did do some additional tweaking on his studio monitors at home. But the Matrix + JBL SRX712M combo is high-end gear and most importantly it sounds great when you plug the Axe-FX II into it. It works for us and it works for many of our users.

This is great info and I love the sounds in v6.0 Its definitely a huge step up from previous updates. One question I am confused about - some folks recommend doing a system reset though the system menu, others say you don't need it. I don't know what will happen if I do a system reset - does it reset all the amps? We need someone from Fractal rather than people on the forum debating this, to tell us whether this System reset is recommended for best results. If not do we have to reset each amp block in each preset as you describe above? Please help! Thanks so much.

System reset is not required to get the new amp types. All you need to do for a complete amp type reset is double click the bypass. Or change the type knob and only the advanced parameters will be reset.

I think some folks suggest the system reset because sometimes users change global EQ or phase settings without realizing it. So it's a good quick way to reset back to square 1 in the case of a sanity check.

I would think that in order for the presets to translate well to the widest swath of possible gear that users might be using it would be best to start with a system that is as flat as possible.
No?

The more posts I read, the more I realise that it's impossible to make a set of presets that any large group of people would consider "great". There are too many variables in front of the Axe, after the Axe, and in the ears of the beholder to ever please everyone.

On the upside, unlike buying a guitar, pickups, pedals, amps, etc. based on recommendations of others just to find that you don't like them at all, with the Axe you have a tremendous amount of flexibility to change things until you get what you want.

Back
Top Bottom