A question about Passive FRFR Cab, Matrix, Atomic or others.

cellopet

Inspired
Hi Guys, i'm a very happy Axe Fx II user, with Matrix GT1000FX and a pair of 2x12 Dragoon cabs loaded with G12H30. As a lot of headphones or stdio users, i love to use IR and Cab Modelling, for now i've always played with Cab Sim OFF, but i would really like to play live with CAB SIM ON. In the bands i play, in many situations i won't go to the PA, so i need something that is powerful like a cabinet. I would like to know if there is something avaiable from Matrix or Atomic or other, a passive FRFR cabinet, so i can use my Matrix GT1000 through a FRFR passive cabinet. I see at Matrix the Q12 passive cab, but it's a 1X12...Is there something more similar to a standard guitar cabinet but FRFR passive so i can use all the wonderful IR cab simulations?
Thanks so much:encouragement:

Sean Ashe has a few posts about the Port City cabs. I've never heard them but you might want to ask him some questions. Also, I think Matrix is coming out with a 2x12 soon.

Hi Guys, i'm a very happy Axe Fx II user, with Matrix GT1000FX and a pair of 2x12 Dragoon cabs loaded with G12H30. As a lot of headphones or stdio users, i love to use IR and Cab Modelling, for now i've always played with Cab Sim OFF, but i would really like to play live with CAB SIM ON. In the bands i play, in many situations i won't go to the PA, so i need something that is powerful like a cabinet. I would like to know if there is something avaiable from Matrix or Atomic or other, a passive FRFR cabinet, so i can use my Matrix GT1000 through a FRFR passive cabinet. I see at Matrix the Q12 passive cab, but it's a 1X12...Is there something more similar to a standard guitar cabinet but FRFR passive so i can use all the wonderful IR cab simulations?
Thanks so much:encouragement:

Hi there,
Would you like the 2x12 because you play in stereo ?
I look forward to hearing from you.
My best regards
Matt

I don't believe there are any 2x12 passive FRFR solutions that offer stereo. I could be wrong, but from what I've read a 1x12 is PLENTY loud and if you want the Axe Fx 2 to really shine you use two 1x12 as you can then have them used in Stereo. 2 passive 1x12 FRFR units would cost less than one active unit, but you already have the Power Amp.

If you don't care about that, Matrix is coming out with a passive 2x12 soon I think.

Hi there,
Would you like the 2x12 because you play in stereo ?
I look forward to hearing from you.
My best regards
Matt

Hi Matt,
Thanks for your quick answer. No, i don't play stereo, but i want a passive FRFR solution to use Cab Sim and not using always the FOH, the crowd must hear me from my stage amp, not from the FOH, so i thought 2X12 was a better solution, but if you think Q12 is enough...

I don't believe there are any 2x12 passive FRFR solutions that offer stereo. I could be wrong, but from what I've read a 1x12 is PLENTY loud and if you want the Axe Fx 2 to really shine you use two 1x12 as you can then have them used in Stereo. 2 passive 1x12 FRFR units would cost less than one active unit, but you already have the Power Amp.

If you don't care about that, Matrix is coming out with a passive 2x12 soon I think.

Yes, you're right. I don't care about stereo. I want FRFR without going always to the FOH

...i want a passive FRFR solution to use Cab Sim and not using always the FOH, the crowd must hear me from my stage amp, not from the FOH, so i thought 2X12 was a better solution, but if you think Q12 is enough...
The horizontal spread of a 2x12 is actually narrower than the spread of a 1x12, unless you stand the cab on end. Wider spread means more of the audience is in the sweet spot.

And there's plenty of poop in a well-designed 1x12 FRFR cabinet. Traditional guitar speakers are stiffer, and it takes more power to move them.

The horizontal spread of a 2x12 is actually narrower than the spread of a 1x12, unless you stand the cab on end. Wider spread means more of the audience is in the sweet spot.

And there's plenty of poop in a well-designed 1x12 FRFR cabinet. Traditional guitar speakers are stiffer, and it takes more power to move them.

Thank you so much, i'm thinking about order a Q12 Passive now.....:)

I use a 1 x 12 FRFR as backline without running through FOH all the time. I'd rather use FOH so that the sound is more balanced on both sides of the stage, but lack of volume has never been an issue and I'm only setting the powered cab on 50%.

Personally, I play through a 3-way cabinet (in my case, based on the Greenboy fEARFULL spec - originally designed for bass players). Seemed to me that if I was going FRFR, I did not want to go through a single speaker, no matter how wide-range its response. I wanted a woofer, tweeter, mid, and cross-over - essentially a PA speaker (which is essentially a loud, durable cousin of a stereo speaker). I also tried many 2-way active speaks (my old Mackie 450's which used to be my main speaks when I was running the Ultra, QSCs) and found them inferior to my Matrix & my custom speaker cab.

The greenboy spec, like the accutones, was designed to let Bass players play FRFR, essentially. As such, they produce very low fundamentals cleanly and accurately (essential for me not just for dropped-octave harmonizer stuff, but because I play an 88 key controller and the (exquisite) Malmsjo piano sample set on it too, and bass as well). My version,. alas, is no longer made - the maker seems to have gone out of business and disappeared. But if you go greenboy.us speaker enclosures you will find a list of authorized builders. Or if you're handy, you can build your own (but you MUST use the spec'd x-overs and drivers to get the same performance). There are several configurations (including 2-way), I chose 12" woofer, 6" midrange, and a small tweeter.

I have not found any offerings from manufacturers to exceed the fEARFULL cabs. My Matrix & Axe II have never been happier.

Best of luck.

Thank you so much, i'm thinking about order a Q12 Passive now.....:)

I have two Q12s that I drive with a GT1000FX and I think they're great. I use them for bass as well and they sound awesome. Plenty of power, so I think you should be fine with the Q12.

I have two Q12s that I drive with a GT1000FX and I think they're great. I use them for bass as well and they sound awesome. Plenty of power, so I think you should be fine with the Q12.

Thank you very much. I think I order them tomorrow!

Seemed to me that if I was going FRFR, I did not want to go through a single speaker, no matter how wide-range its response. I wanted a woofer, tweeter, mid, and cross-over - essentially a PA speaker (which is essentially a loud, durable cousin of a stereo speaker).
Every FRFR speaker I've ever seen is a two-way or three-way—even the so-called "1x12" speakers, which are actually coaxial.

XiTone proudly makes 2x12 cabs and wedges as well as 1x12 cabs and wedges, all featuring Eminence Beta 12CX coaxial drivers for FRFR performance.

Back
Top Bottom