A good alternative To Matrix Amps?

I have a PS170, sounds pretty good to me, but I'm primarily a high gain extreme metal type guy so maybe it's not so great at eob tones or something, I've never tried.
So far I have been extremely happy with the PS-200. This has been my first experience with the power amp/cab journey, so I am sure at some point I will venture out into the realm of other options. Price to me has little to no bearing on my decision, but that’s just me.

I think we're all doomed to have to try all the options- that's why we're fractal users - its fun enjoy the ride -

I find it sounds flatter/more neutral with "resistive load" selected. Whether this is good or bad depends on the situation I guess. I also find that matching the curve to a cab I actually have (i.e. Mesa Recto) it seems to add a lot of contrast/punch.

I haven't tried using the loop input, will have to give that a shot.

Basically this. There's lots of things you're "supposed" to do, but ultimately it's best to just fine tune using your ears and not your eyes.
What’s the difference between Recto Large and the Oversized?

I prefer the Crown XLI 2500 which is class AB and is significantly more powerful then the class D XLS 1500 and only costs $10.00 more.

Isn't it a lot heavier?
Edit: yes, it's 30 lbs - that reminds me why I didn't bother. I use an XLS2502 and while I think the matrix is a littttle more on point, it's not enough to be worth another 20 lbs on my gig gear for a class AB in the case I don't use matrix

Last edited:
Just received my Matrix GT1000FX 1U from Guitar center - DOA, I can see a burned circuit board under the heat sink - on its way back

One thing I was super impressed how light it was - crazy light - it was made in the UK - I read some are made in the USA - is there a difference?

Last edited:
Just received my Matrix GT1000FX 1U from Guitar center - DOA, I can see a burned circuit board under the heat sink - on its way back
I've had my GT1000FX since 2012. It's one of the older UK made ones, still going strong and built like a tank. It replaced the VHT 2502 and Mesa fifty/fifty i had used prior to that. It's been a stellar amp to have, and super light-weight too.
Although I have no intention of selling my Matrix, I'd be very keen to try out a Fryette LXII. my question is though, being that the LXII is designed for use with digital modelling units, and is advertised as full range / flat response, would it be the case that the Axe-Fx's impedance curves should still be used with it, or not?

One thing I was super impressed how light it was - crazy light - it was made in the UK - I read some are made in the USA - is there a difference?
Sorry to hear that

I've had my GT1000FX since 2012. It's one of the older UK made ones, still going strong and built like a tank. It replaced the VHT 2502 and Mesa fifty/fifty i had used prior to that. It's been a stellar amp to have, and super light-weight too.
Although I have no intention of selling my Matrix, I'd be very keen to try out a Fryette LXII. my question is though, being that the LXII is designed for use with digital modelling units, and is advertised as full range / flat response, would it be the case that the Axe-Fx's impedance curves should still be used with it, or not?
Afaik, a tube amp (LxII) will lock onto a connected cab automatically at the correct IC for the specific LxII / real cab relationship. You can also set an Axfx IC on top of that (other than reactive load) to bring the overall IC closer to the modelled amp / real cab IC if you know the rez frequencies of the real cab to enter on the Axfx speaker page, but I think the automatic LxII tube amp / cab IC will have an influence, which could be considered a negative aspect of introducing real tubes into a modelled chain (could muddy the intended model), as opposed to a SS p.a. which does not influence the IC. In cases like mine where I've really not been able to properly determine the rez freqs of my real cabs, LxII could be an advantage in terms of it being able to lock onto my real cab at the right IC for LxII without my needing to know the rez freqs of my real cabs, though I'd have to accept that the IC generated with LxII might not be the same as what a real version of the modelled amp I'm using would generate if connected to the same real cab. There's no perfect solution it seems but I still feel like getting a good determination of my real cabs' rez freqs and using a SS p. a. is better wrt maintaining Axfx modelling accuracy throughout.

Last edited:
Afaik, a tube amp (LxII) will lock onto a connected cab automatically at the correct IC for the specific LxII / real cab relationship. You can also set an Axfx IC on top of that (other than reactive load) to bring the overall IC closer to the modelled amp / real cab IC if you know the rez frequencies of the real cab to enter on the Axfx speaker page, but I think the automatic LxII tube amp / cab IC will have an influence, which could be considered a negative aspect of introducing real tubes into a modelled chain (could muddy the intended model), as opposed to a SS p.a. which does not influence the IC. In cases like mine where I've really not been able to properly determine the rez freqs of my real cabs, LxII could be an advantage in terms of it being able to lock onto my real cab at the right IC for LxII without my needing to know the rez freqs of my real cabs, though I'd have to accept that the IC generated with LxII might not be the same as what a real version of the modelled amp I'm using would generate if connected to the same real cab. There's no perfect solution it seems but I still feel like getting a good determination of my real cabs' rez freqs and using a SS p. a. is better wrt maintaining Axfx modelling accuracy throughout.
Thanks for this, it makes sense. I've never been able to accurately lock onto the low res. frequency of by own cabs. I think I got somewhere close by ear, but you never know if your ears play tricks on you, so it's all guesswork.

Anyone use this class AB amp? It’s only 18lbs and cheap any good? Thxs

Behringer KM750​

I know a guy who uses a Behringer class D power amp with his modeler. He argues that it's superior compared to other power amps especially at that price point as he says it's completely "neutral", "perfect sounding" and "not hyped like Matrix products". Judging from a recent A-B test he did I think it's either the modeler and/or the power amp he uses that has not convinced me at all and sound off and awful IMHO (he's using a competitive N modeler product). I find it funny that this particular guy seems to think he holds the holy grail of 300 € power amps that no one else seem to use, at least for guitar.

I linked a few A-B comparison clips from these forums to prove his modeler sounds off but he says people are way too biased on these forums, so he counts on other forums (confirmation bias much?) and himself more on this topic. Oh well.

Anyway: I own and use a Matrix GT800FX which I bought used for 300 €. Only reason I'll replace it will be if in case it ever stops working.

Last edited:
I know a guy who uses a Behringer class D power amp with his modeler. He argues that it's superior compared to other power amps especially that that price point as he says it's completely "neutral", "perfect sounding" and "not hyped like Matrix products". Judging from a recent A-B test he did I think it's either the modeler and/or the power amp he uses that has not convinced me at all and sound awful IMHO (he's using a competitive modeler product). I find it funny that this particular guy seems to think he holds the holy grail of 300 € power amps that no one else seem to use.

I linked a few A-B comparison clips from these forums to prove his modeler sounds off but he says people are way too biased on these forums, so he counts on other forums (confirmation bias much?) and himself more on this topic. Oh well.

Anyway: I own and use a Matrix GT800FX which I bought used for 300 €. Only reason I'll replace it will be if in case it ever stops working.
I ain't even gonna lie. The period where I received the most complements on my live tone (by FAR), was the 4 years I ran an Ultra into my Randall RS125xl powered by a Beringer inuke3000. More compliments than my expensive tube rigs, or my more modern FM9 going direct to FOH. I probably received more blind accolades with that rig than all my others combined over 30 years of gigging. All you could see from the stage was my GCP on the floor, and my cab. The Axe and power amp were hidden off stage somewhere.
I wouldn't hesitate to roll that rig out ANYWHERE tomorrow.

What’s the difference between Recto Large and the Oversized?

Honestly no idea. I think "Large" is what I found to sound better with my specific cab in my specific music room, but not sure what is doing what. Possible there have been different variations of the Recto cab? Not sure; I've owned 1x12, multiple 2x12 and 4x12 versions and they've all been the same depth as far as I know...

Honestly no idea. I think "Large" is what I found to sound better with my specific cab in my specific music room, but not sure what is doing what. Possible there have been different variations of the Recto cab? Not sure; I've owned 1x12, multiple 2x12 and 4x12 versions and they've all been the same depth as far as I know...
Standard (or otherwise known as the OS oversized) is different from the Traditional.

People get really hung up on AB versus D class amplification. All other things being equal, I challenge anyone to tell the difference between the two in an undistorted output, blind test.

Back
Top Bottom