A good alternative To Matrix Amps?

I have used the SD170 + 1x12 Celestion Creambacks, Fryette Power Station + 1x12 Celestion Creambacks, Fryette LXII + 1x12 Celestion Creambacks, Matrix GT1000FX with passive CLRs, and currently EV PXM-12MP

I play everything from R&B to Hard Rock in a cover band

The SD 170 felt stiff, non-musical, and sounded harsh

The power station and LXII felt great and sounded great, but something seemed off when running amp sims that were of non 6L6 tubes. Also the limitation of not being able to use different cab sims for different patches was too limiting for my application.

The Matrix sounds great and feels very amp-like. It sounded great with the CLR passive cabs.

Also playing out and rehearsing so often, the weight of my gear started to be a major factor.

Now I am using the EV PXM-12MP

Last gig, I just sent an output from the AXE-FX directly to FOH and felt confident it would be close to what I was hearing out of my EV PXM. Previously, it required tweaking to get it to sound close.
I was thinking of getting a LXII - "but something seemed off when running amp sims that were of non 6L6 tubes"

I wanted a AC30 / Trainwreck Express / Matchless / Marshall sounds and they use EL34/84 and KT66 tubes in the power section.

How does a Matrix GT1000FX-1U with 6L6 and a FX3 get authentic AC30 / Trainwreck Express / Matchless / Marshall tones - is it the IR OR amp model settings going get these great tones?

The cab is a single 12 open back cab from Blackstar H 112 with F12M 150 Celestion

Back
Top Bottom