Bug? A-Fx sends PC on external program change

Sebastian

Power User
This has bothering me since its introduction in fw 6.0 but until now I thought it was a "feature".

Both the manual and the fw 6.0 release notes state that the Axe-Fx II sends a PC to sync with MFC and Axe-Edit whenever a preset change is made from the front panel.

Unfortunately the same happens when I send a PC from my midi controller, and the PC sent from the Axe-Fx to my controller causes a slight hiccup or increased patch changing latency.

This happens even with midi through set off and sysex to "none" (I need "tuner" though).

So, in case this behaviour is not a bug but intended, please make it selectable.

TIA,
Sebastian

Weird. So you send a PC from the midi controller, it changes the Axe fx preset... And then the axe sends another PC when it switches?? That doesn't sound right.

When you switch presets from the front panel, the Axe-Fx sends the appropriate bank select and program change message. Alright, that fits the midi implementation chart in the manual and the release notes.

But it does the same when I switch presets via midi controller. E.g., I switch to patch 8 in bank A and the Axe-Fx generates/sends the same message to its midi out. Because my controller is wired for two-way communication, this superfluous PC message ends up at my controller, causing latency.
Threw me off first time, when I switched to a patch where the looper starts instantly and of course the timing was off. But even with "normal" patch changing, it causes a noticeable gap, which is longer than usual (for example when switching from the front panel and no midi controller involved).

Isn't there a ignore redundant PC on the axe? Would that help? (I'm guessing not)

"Ignore redundant PC" is set to off 99% of the time (as I did on the Ultra, too), so no, it doesn't help. Thank you for thinking about a solution nonetheless :)

As I laid out in the original post, I'm convinced this is a bug, as the Axe-Fx should send this PC only when you change patches from the front panel. At least that's what the manual and the release notes tell.

The Axe-Fx doesn't send any PC messages. It will send a sysex sync message but your controller should ignore that. If it doesn't contact the manufacturer.

Right, thanks!
I monitored the midi output and it is a sysex message.
But then the midi chart (p. 178, manual) is wrong: "Selecting a preset via the Axe-Fx II front panel will also transmit the
corresponding bank select and program change number messages."
Instead this should say "sysex sync message" and be in the sysex field, not program change.

The remark about "front panel selection" in the manual (and release notes, respectively) then is incorrect, too, since it also happens with external program changes.

Also, why is this even active when the sysex option is set to "none" or "tuner"?
I'd expect the Axe-Fx to not send any sysex if it's set to "none", since that's the whole point of this option, no?

I'll contact the manufacturer but would still appreciate if this sysex message could be disabled; it is of no use without MFC-101 or Axe-Edit.
Best regards,

Sebastian

That option is for Realtime data, tuner and tap. Not global sysex messages. I guess what you are experiencing is just a function of operation.

Can your other midi unit ignore sysex and just listen to PC and CC?

Right, thanks!
I monitored the midi output and it is a sysex message.
But then the midi chart (p. 178, manual) is wrong: "Selecting a preset via the Axe-Fx II front panel will also transmit the
corresponding bank select and program change number messages."
Instead this should say "sysex sync message" and be in the sysex field, not program change.

The remark about "front panel selection" in the manual (and release notes, respectively) then is incorrect, too, since it also happens with external program changes.

Also, why is this even active when the sysex option is set to "none" or "tuner"?
I'd expect the Axe-Fx to not send any sysex if it's set to "none", since that's the whole point of this option, no?

I'll contact the manufacturer but would still appreciate if this sysex message could be disabled; it is of no use without MFC-101 or Axe-Edit.

I think those are valid remarks/questions, independent of my foot controller, so...

*bump*

Back
Top Bottom