A FR rig in disguise?

satchel

I don't know much about building guitar cabinets...so this may be a stupid question...

But how hard would it be for someone to build a full range cab that LOOKS like a regular guitar cab? To me it seems as easy to it as finding somewhere to put the tweeters, but I'm assuming there's more to it than that.

and is there anyone already doing this? I actually sent an email to a custom cab manufacturer myself, but haven't heard back as of yet...

I love the idea of this high-end FRFR rigs but they cost more than the axe-fx and look like you're playing through a PA system...because...well, you are. I'm sure it sounds awesome, but looks quite retarded...especially if you play heavy rock/metal.

The atomic reactor series has the right idea...but those are only 1x12 speakers. I'm not saying they don't sound phenomenal, they just look like old fender combo amps or something similar.

I think atomic could step up their game and make something quite awesome...and with the ever increasing popularity of the axe-fx - it would sell good.

comments?

Since the Atomic FR uses black tolex and chrome corner protectors you could do a pretty good job of making it look like a Fender cabinet just by replacing the grill with one that used a fender logo and grill cloth.

The Reactors are 2x12s, aren't they? While the subject has been brought up anyway, does anyone know if there are any plans for an Atomic Reactor 4x12?

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like it's a 1x12 with a tweeter and a horn. With its power handling, though, I'm sure it could get at least as loud as a 2x12. I guess I'll also rephrase my question while I'm at it to whether or not there are plans for a "4x12 sized" Reactor cab.

As far as looks go RMC nailed it. As to how it sounds it would be nice to hear if it can produce without any weird responses with that kind of build.

I really like the design of the RMC cabs...but they're such a small company - it's kinda hard to get reviews before dropping the cash.

satchel said:
I really like the design of the RMC cabs...but they're such a small company - it's kinda hard to get reviews before dropping the cash.

I would contact RMC and see if they might shed some insight on the 412 FR cab or maybe put you in touch with the person that had that cab made to see if he can let you know if it was worth the coin.

If you want to tackle it your self I have 3 empty 412 cabs sitting in my garage I will sell you one for cheep :mrgreen: .

I did it the ghetto way.. I send to FOH out o/p 1 and feed my Mesa 20/20 and Marshall cab from o/p 2. I let the full amp sim/cab sim signal pass to o/p 2. I adjusted the EQ to the amp/cab so it sounded good to me. Since I just use stage volume for MY own ears, I don't care if it doesn't sound "perfect" or whatever. My stage volume is so low that the PA drowns it out for the crowd. I also put my cab on top of a 12sp rack so it hits me in the back of the head. I hear it fine but since Marshall 4x12's are SO directional, it mostly fires right over the heads of the crowd and they hear mostly the PA. It sounds good enough for me and nothing says ROCK like having a Marshall 4x12 behind you.

31510_1388793034499_1072281605_31163885_7569917_n.jpg

The mic on the cab was there in case the FoH guy thought the direct signal sucked.. He was used to people bringing in Line6 stuff and wanting to go direct so he was a little less-than-thrilled to try it.. After the 1st set, he took that mic down and told me I had one of the best guitar tones he'd ever heard. Thanks Axe-FX!

satchel said:

I get the feeling ( based on no personal experience however ) that RMC might be a company much like Fractal... small shop serving a specific market with high quality gear. Looks like they do custom work for touring bands, in which case while they may not have "name recognition" by the general public they might still be a very good company. If you are building touring equipment for Boston, you are probably not a fly by night outfit.

I gotta go with HighPassGuy here though.... if you need the look of a 4x12... use a 4x12. What are you really losing? We get all tied up in needing to use the cab sims on AxeFx, but how many of us drag multiple cabs and cab switchers to gigs?

I tried to have a box built that had the looks and the sound. That was my thread someone linked first up. It was possible, but sonically it gave up too much. I decided to go with the design that the acoustic engineers said was the best. Once I heard it, the looks were definitely not a concern. The sound is amazing. It's basically a 2000W studio monitor or extremely high end PA , with incredible dispersion. It fills a space like no other cab I've ever used. I also has that low end presence that was missing from every other FR I've gone through. It works really well at low volumes, but can also reach an insane SPL with the same incredible clarity. One big bonus is that stage bleed isn't an issue. The spread is so wide and even that everyone in the audience will be getting the same sound, and in most cases (unless you have an incredible PA and engineer), it'll sound better than the FOH. I'm having 2 smaller cabs made up by the same builder and designers which I'll be using for a W/D/W rig. Since they'll only be handling my wet signal, they won't need as much bass extension (the big one goes down to 30Hz with ease).

xrist04 said:

Those are great. I have 4 of those (16 quads)for one of my shows. All guitars are direct, so they are completely for show. If I want backline, I'll use my FR which can convincingly put out 16 quads worth of SPL at that width.

Back
Top Bottom