A few words about live sound

Wow. I couldn't help but notice he's really using quite a lot of gain. Sounds pretty bright as well...

Yup that jumped out at me too. I was not a fan of the tone for sure but hearing it in the full mix would surely make a big difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you post a screen shot of it for me?

This definitely is a fantastic thread...

Can somebody please post a preset... Doesn't matter what amp etc... with the adjustments done per the op in a PEQ ..... I haven't used PEQ block and wd like to use it correctly first time and create one to link it to a global block...

Wow. I couldn't help but notice he's really using quite a lot of gain. Sounds pretty bright as well...

It sound pretty kick ass to me.

That was coming off of wedges under the stage in a pretty big venue and still kicked ass for a live wedge mix.

In my experience speakers under stages and the farther you get from wedges in general they sound muffled and "off". Not in this vid. Tons of presence but not harsh.

It sound pretty kick ass to me.

That was coming off of wedges under the stage in a pretty big venue and still kicked ass for a live wedge mix.

In my experience speakers under stages and the farther you get from wedges in general they sound muffled and "off". Not in this vid. Tons of presence but not harsh.

Def not harsh

For me, the low-mid "growl" that you get is focused in the 250 Hz area. You'll have to use your ears but I've found that between 1 and 2 on the level is enough to get the effect without getting in the way. It's fairly broad as it affects a wide range of frequencies so 200-250 Hz should do it.

Proximity Freq only goes up to 200hz for me!

Is that "Yup, on clean patches as well," or "Yup, dirty patches only."?

Sorry. I did yes to both. I tried it today. In a live setting. Sound guy said it was working fine but I am not 100%. We monitor our selves through headphones and these headphones I am using add hi end so it is always hard for me to gauge anything when using them. Going to use this for a little while and see how it goes

Are you guys making these cuts at 80 and 15000 on chean patches as well or just dirty patches?

Using it on all my patches.

I'm cutting at 100 and 13,000 and the sound guy said that he didn't have to shelf at all. I was worried about the top end, but it was fine.

The 13,000 was an accident. Meant to try 15,000 but must have accidentally hit '3' instead of '5' when setting it in Axe Edit.
Sounded great so I think I'll just leave it.

I am running Yek's Mid Boost EQ and I think that really helps balance out the frequencies at volume.

Is that "Yup, on clean patches as well," or "Yup, dirty patches only?" :)

Yes I did this to all my patches and my sound guy last night said it was the clearest sound (i.e. no mud) he's heard yet and that the guitar sat perfectly in the mix without being overwhelming.

Using it on all my patches.

I'm cutting at 100 and 13,000 and the sound guy said that he didn't have to shelf at all. I was worried about the top end, but it was fine.

The 13,000 was an accident. Meant to try 15,000 but must have accidentally hit '3' instead of '5' when setting it in Axe Edit.
Sounded great so I think I'll just leave it.

I am running Yek's Mid Boost EQ and I think that really helps balance out the frequencies at volume.

Hadn't seen Yek's mid boost EQ, would you or Yek mind sharing again?

Sent from my iPhone

What a difference in sound. I cut my main patches at 80 and 15000 in the cab block. And you don't hear a lot at lower volumes but once you get it cranked through your PA system holy cow.

I have a Axe FX MkII not an XL
Could you please post a pick of the PEQ settings in Axe Edit?
When I open the file, the PEQ is a flat line...
Thx

That's odd, because I have a MKII as well and it works fine for me?

its nice to see Real world big name experience being dropped here. Superb information! Thank you.

I have a tendency to obsess about the nuances on either end of the EQ spectrum and spend hours in my practice room Tweaking. The when it comes to jam time the tone leaves me wanting. Its disheartening to have a cool tone in one room and not so much in practice / live set. Using the Tube zealot old standby's the sound is too "Solid State" or gets "lost in the mix". All this said. This post sort of compresses a lot of the noob learning curve for some of these "scary" parameters that have a subtle yet profound impact on tone!

Thank you for the focus points!

Back
Top Bottom