Wish A few wishes about Delays

DLC86

Fractal Fanatic
1) Motor speed parameter in the stereo tape delay too

2) IMPLEMENTED! PEQ in the multidelay block (or at least in the quad tape model), I mean the same we have in the delay block.
I know that we already have tweakable low, high and band-pass filters in the multidelay, but the PEQ is just more versatile IMHO.
I matched the mono tape delay to a plugin that simulates the binson echorec but could not recreate the multi-head version in the multidelay for that reason alone.
Don't make me buy a Strymon Volante :grimacing:

PS:
3) Realistic wow and flutter in all tape delay types

PPS:
4) Clip type and/or clip shape parameter for the drive control

Last edited:
3) Realistic wow and flutter in all tape delay types
Wow is pitch modulation -- just attach an LFO to the tape speed parameter or delay time parameter on a non-tape delay and let it fluctuate. Low depth, slow speed, try a few different wave forms.

Flutter is distortion, but crackly distortion. Could definitely use something that adds that to the delay block. Otherways to get there, but they're not easy.

Wow is pitch modulation -- just attach an LFO to the tape speed parameter or delay time parameter on a non-tape delay and let it fluctuate. Low depth, slow speed, try a few different wave forms.

Flutter is distortion, but crackly distortion. Could definitely use something that adds that to the delay block. Otherways to get there, but they're not easy.
The Delay block has a Drive control ;)

+1 to anything improving wow and flutter
Definitely! The tape delay is IMHO good but could be better. Don't know if the actual algorithm "needs" improvement, or if new types/modes with pre-set settings is all that's needed?

Last edited:
The tools are already there for wow and flutter. Wow is modulation below 6 Hz. Flutter is above 6 Hz.
What I meant by "realistic" is that in most other tape delay sims that modulation is not as static as the sine or triangle wave we have in the modulation page, it is pretty random.
And no, the random waveform doesn't work either cuz that's just random values thrown in steps at a fixed rate.
It is random in that the rate and/or the depth are not static but they vary, well, randomly (and smoothly), as it would happen with a real tape I guess.
Probably something closer could be achieved by attaching the rate and depth to the global LFOs, or in other fancy ways.
My wish was simply that it would be nice to have something inside the block that does all that without the need to find out those fancy workarounds.

What I meant by "realistic" is that in most other tape delay sims that modulation is not as static as the sine or triangle wave we have in the modulation page, it is pretty random.
And no, the random waveform doesn't work either cuz that's just random values thrown in steps at a fixed rate.
You can vary the rate of the LFOs.

My wish was simply that it would be nice to have something inside the block that does all that without the need to find out those fancy workarounds.
This is not the way.

While searching on the topic I stumbled upon this interesting video, didn't know of the existence of these machines.

If I got how it works, the wow/flutter percentage on the meter basically corresponds to the depth of the modulation and the needle oscillation shows how this randomly varies over time.

While searching on the topic I stumbled upon this interesting video, didn't know of the existence of these machines.

If I got how it works, the wow/flutter percentage on the meter basically corresponds to the depth of the modulation and the needle moving shows how this randomly varies over time

That's a Wow/Flutter meter.

Wow is low frequency modulation. It occurs with records when the hole in the middle isn't perfectly centered or when the record has a warp or due to motor issues. It occurs with tape decks due to the tape being stretched or the motor not being regulated well.

Flutter occurs in tape decks primarily due to the capstan being eccentric.

Wow is low frequency modulation. It occurs with records when the hole in the middle isn't perfectly centered or when the record has a warp or due to motor issues. It occurs with tape decks due to the tape being stretched or the motor not being regulated well.

Flutter occurs in tape decks primarily due to the capstan being eccentric.
So I guess the apparent randomness could be even due to how those various factors combine.

Cuz some of those on their own should be pretty much cyclical, for example a not centered hole in a record should produce a steady modulation (sine waveform I suppose) with constant depth and rate.
But adding the wow caused by the motor, with its own rate and depth, is basically like summing the two LFO waveforms and that, depending on the ratio between the two rates, could create the pseudo-random effect.

Other factors could be pretty random on their own though (I think about friction or even fluctuations in the voltage moving the motor)

Back
Top Bottom