A few dumb Matrix questions....

somata

Inspired
I just picked up a Matrix GT800FX to use with my Axe II. Signal flow will be guitar>Axe II>Matrix>Mesa 4x12. Likely, I'll run it in stereo into a single cab, but could also run a full stack at times.

I think I know the answers to these, but just want to do a dummy check...

If I want to just run one side of the amp, do I have to have a load on the other side, or can I just leave the volume on the unused side at "0"?

Any particular advantage to using a Speakon>1/4" cable for a guitar cab over regular speaker cables?

Having no load (or mismatched impedance, no lower than 4ohm) will not have an adverse effect on the Matrix.

Can't comment on the Speakon cable though (no experience)

The speakon connector locks into the jack kind of like an XLR microphone cable and can't be yanked out accidentally. It can also handle more current than 1/4" plug without getting hot, so it's better for high power applications like FOH. On the down side, speakon connectors are much bulkier than 1/4" plugs and are usually more expensive. As long as you use quality 1/4" jacks and plugs (switchcraft, neutrik, etc.) and keep them clean, I doubt you'd ever have any trouble with 1/4" for most purposes.

Ok well two is really a big number, in that case just stick to the pure 1/4" cables ;)

No seriously, I even consider upgrading my cab to also have speakon jacks.

Ok well two is really a big number, in that case just stick to the pure 1/4" cables ;)

No seriously, I even consider upgrading my cab to also have speakon jacks.
Already ordered two 6ft. 12 gauge male Speakon to 1/4 male speaker cables from ebay! Thanks!

As has been stated, it's perfectly safe to run one side or even the entire amp without a load attached or run different loads on each channel (so long as they're above the 4 ohm minimum). As far as the speakon connectors go. They also stop the possibility of shorting the channel when the tip and sleeve of a normal jack is in that "half in half out" position. It's rare it happens but we've seen it happen a couple of times. The speakons as they twist, connect both + and - at the same time. They 're also safer when using higher levels of power in case there's a short somewhere. With a normal jack there's always a possibility of the jack itself becoming "live" in those situations whereas speakons are insulated. They are also easier to wire up with no soldering necessary. I must admit to being converted by them and I love them now. I carry a couple of speakon to jack cable as well as backup for the speakon to speakons and in case I happen to go through a normal cab.

Since it's a totally different form factor to instrument cables there's also no chance of getting them confused. I've seen instrument cables physically melted because they were accidentally used as speaker leads. Not good.

Thanks guys, I "knew" the answers that you gave, but just wanted to do a dummy check, you know? :lol

I'll eventually pick up some speakon cables, but for now, since I already have a handful of 1/4" speaker cables and I'm not playing out at the moment, I'll just use my regular speaker cables...

Spent some time with it this morning, dialing it in against my studio monitors (Out 1 with Cab sim to monitors, Out 2 to Matrix/cab) and have the live cab sounding really close to the recording set-up. Just had to use the Global EQ on Out 2 to dip out a few frequencies and get it to match the "4x12 Cali" cab model that I use for almost all of my high gain stuff. May have to shoot an IR of my Mesa 4x12 before it's all over.

Of course it figures I'd finally track down a good deal on a used Matrix after my band is basically defunct...:roll

Back
Top Bottom