A Deluxe Tone I Can't Achieve

MKeditor

Experienced
Most amps I can replicate. One that is eluding me is the deluxe tone Rhett Shull has at 11:00 on this video:

I've tried dozens of IRs and nothing has that open mid-range that he has. Has anyone else cracked the code on this?

I've tried for that sound on that exact video myself with limited success. I find it very tough to get the bite he gets with any of the tweed models.

The tweed model's low end saturates and gets mushy really quickly, it's very easy to overdo the gain. Big low cuts before the amp block and in the cab block help keep the bottom end from mushing out at higher gain settings. There are also several advanced amp parameters that can help tighten up the amp, such as bias excursion, transformer match, and supply sag. But too much of this stuff and it turns into a different amp.

I'm primarily a Strat player, which always sounded either sounded either fuzzed out or weak on the tweeds, depending on the gain. I did much better with that tone with my Tele.

the IR is everything with that amp.
btw, that amp doesn't have a jensen in it - it has a "Newly designed single 12” 8-ohm Eminence Special Design alnico speaker" according to the website

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Rhett's Deluxe has so much more life. This is like the cork sniffers who claim a modeler can never sound as good as the real thing. But I know eventually Cliff and team will crack the code.

What's the best IR you guys have found for the deluxe?

The original tweed Deluxe 5e3 came with Jensen Alnico speakers, mostly P12r or P12q’s. I have an old black frame P12R organ pull in mine that sounds fabulous. I’m saving the original Jensen.

Tonematching plus Smoothing is your best bet, in my opinion. I would also try a close IR, then add a high degree of Smoothing in the Cab Block to get a more open sound. I always think IRs are very dependent on the guitar you’re using, and Smoothing is essential for me to get a tone that sounds good to my ears.

I personally have no real love for the tweeds. They collapse in the low end easily (I know.. low cut) and they can get ‘ratty’... like in the video. The guitar and cab can get it better. While I get it, that many might prefer keeping it ‘proper’, I’ve gotten better results trying greenbacks (kinda making it a cousin of a Marshall but with its own thing) going on. I did this with a Super Reverb, and it sounds very good.

Smoothing didn't do anything really...but that inspired me to explore other cab parameters. AIR is the answer! I cranked it and it sounds very close the Rhett's recording. I'm using 1x12 Roamer SM7 and 1x12 Class A 15w 121 C at -3db. I'm really pleased with the result. I hope this helps other trying for a Deluxe tone. Thanks to all who committed.

Last edited:
Smoothing didn't do anything really...but that inspired me to explore other cab parameters. AIR is the answer! I cranked it and it sounds very close the Rhett's recording. I'm using 1x12 Roamer SM7 and 1x12 Class A 15w 121 C at -3db. I'm really pleased with the result. I hope this helps other trying for a Deluxe tone. Thanks to all who committed.

That's actually kind of funny when you read what the air control does. If you like it, it's not wrong, but it is kind of funny.

I was going to say that comparing that to actually playing a Tweed Deluxe, my guess was it's mostly post processing. It sounds like it's high-passed with an upper-mid boost, at least based on memory (it's been a while since I played a tweed deluxe). I'm pretty sure it's also recorded in stereo and/or has a room reverb added after the fact.

The problem with trying to copy tones off videos like that is that you can't just do the amp things. You also have to do the studio things that they all do to actually make the recording sound good.

Here is a patch that goes down that road a bit, it is based on the Deluxe Verb and sounds great with my Gibson 335. I used all 8 scenes and they have various levels of drive.

Attachments

• JK Deluxe Verb.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 26
Most amps I can replicate. One that is eluding me is the deluxe tone Rhett Shull has at 11:00 on this video:

I've tried dozens of IRs and nothing has that open mid-range that he has. Has anyone else cracked the code on this?

Are you using the regular or jumped model?
Are you using all 3 knobs?

I am a little obsessed with this right now. I can get this sound if I put an analog gain pedal in front of the Fractal. There is a chewiness that I just can never seem to dial in without some analog assistance. I am really new to modelers.so anytime I see someone else trying to figure this out I pay attention. If I ever figure out how to add that chewiness in the fractal I will be a very, very happy camper. It would be the cherry on top as I am already a very happy camper with my Fractal experience. As for the Tweed Deluxe, I can get really close to this on my Strat with Fat 50's, minus the chewiness.. but only on the bridge position. The Tweed Deluxe model falls part too fast on the middle and neck. They are just too bass heavy for this amp with this much gain. If I make adjustments for those pickups the Bridge position loses its mojo and it is just not worth it because they are not as good as the bridge on its own. Once I get a little closer and test this on my Tele I will post it because it is the IR's I am using that get it close, at least to my old ears. I think it would just take someone with more experience to get it the rest of the way.

I am a little obsessed with this right now. I can get this sound if I put an analog gain pedal in front of the Fractal. There is a chewiness that I just can never seem to dial in without some analog assistance. I am really new to modelers.so anytime I see someone else trying to figure this out I pay attention. If I ever figure out how to add that chewiness in the fractal I will be a very, very happy camper. It would be the cherry on top as I am already a very happy camper with my Fractal experience. As for the Tweed Deluxe, I can get really close to this on my Strat with Fat 50's, minus the chewiness.. but only on the bridge position. The Tweed Deluxe model falls part too fast on the middle and neck. They are just too bass heavy for this amp with this much gain. If I make adjustments for those pickups the Bridge position loses its mojo and it is just not worth it because they are not as good as the bridge on its own. Once I get a little closer and test this on my Tele I will post it because it is the IR's I am using that get it close, at least to my old ears. I think it would just take someone with more experience to get it the rest of the way.

What you wrote here just furthers to me that you should try a tonematch. People have had really great results with that, especially if you use the RTA block and a low pass filter for the unneeded frequencies. For the chewiness, I'll bet some sort of mod of the model would get you there. Other forum members would know better than me what those mods would be.

What you wrote here just furthers to me that you should try a tonematch. People have had really great results with that, especially if you use the RTA block and a low pass filter for the unneeded frequencies. For the chewiness, I'll bet some sort of mod of the model would get you there. Other forum members would know better than me what those mods would be.
Fm9 and FM3, Unfortunately, I do not have that option. I have to learn to use the tools I have to get it. I am learning about how to use the EQ's and filters as I go.

Haha, no worries, I did not say anything about which unit I was using and this is the FX III section.

One thing you could do is to request for someone with an Axe-FX III to tonematch to that portion of the video and upload the IR to this thread. Maybe someone would have time to do that. I'm just hoping to get a moment to play at all this weekend!

Why not ask him to make you an IR?
He has an Axe-FX pack for sale on his website. https://www.rhettshull.com/products/rhetts-amps-v1-for-axe-fx-iii-fm9-fm3

The Deluxe Tweed in the pack sounds nothing like the amp in his video. But....he sells these IRs that sound fab. I think I will give them a try.
https://www.rhettshull.com/products/rhetts-cabs-impulse-response-pack

If nothing else, it gives me the excuse to support the fantastic videos he posts. They are often my reference when dialing in amp model.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom