A couple of questions...

EightmanVT

Inspired
So….I'm soooo glad that I brought the Axe downstairs – hooked it up in to the fx loop of the XTC and played it that way. Just a world of difference – which I realize should be self-evident – but for a bit there I was too lazy to do that and just playing it through the iMac. It was ok there - but I wasn't blown away. I was very impressed downstairs once I started moving some air.

Couple of questions. I so love how it sounds through the XTC power amp and my cube that has a V30 – Is it a fine idea to pick up one of the Atomic rack mount amps? Or can I get a similar result using the cab sims and additional flexibility from using the amplified FRFR wedges?

I noticed massive volume differences from preset to preset – is this normal?

My only remaining question is how will it do in a band setting both in terms of volume and sitting in the mix (cutting through) – something I won't be able to check out any time soon unfortunately. Getting ready to make a multi-state move. I do know that some of the presets I played with – wouldn't have enough volume running through the XTC power amp and just cranking the out1 volume knob – but I didn't look at any of the internal volume settings. Even as I'm typing this I realize that I don't recall what I had the XTC set on - it might be on half-power and there's an fx loop vol control if I recall correctly - I'll have to see how much juice is left - but doesn't matter that much - the axe is meant to replace the head (s).

So….I'm soooo glad that I brought the Axe downstairs – hooked it up in to the fx loop of the XTC and played it that way. Just a world of difference – which I realize should be self-evident – but for a bit there I was too lazy to do that and just playing it through the iMac. It was ok there - but I wasn't blown away. I was very impressed downstairs once I started moving some air.

Couple of questions. I so love how it sounds through the XTC power amp and my cube that has a V30 – Is it a fine idea to pick up one of the Atomic rack mount amps? Or can I get a similar result using the cab sims and additional flexibility from using the amplified FRFR wedges?

I noticed massive volume differences from preset to preset – is this normal?

My only remaining question is how will it do in a band setting both in terms of volume and sitting in the mix (cutting through) – something I won't be able to check out any time soon unfortunately. Getting ready to make a multi-state move. I do know that some of the presets I played with – wouldn't have enough volume running through the XTC power amp and just cranking the out1 volume knob – but I didn't look at any of the internal volume settings. Even as I'm typing this I realize that I don't recall what I had the XTC set on - it might be on half-power and there's an fx loop vol control if I recall correctly - I'll have to see how much juice is left - but doesn't matter that much - the axe is meant to replace the head (s).

You could go with the Atomic 50/50, or if you want lighter and less rack space used, consider the Matrix GT800FX. This way, you could use real guitar cabs or passive FRFR cabs.

If you had power amp sims turned off (which you should have when running it thru the XTC's power section), yes... there will be a lot of variations in preset volumes.

Plenty of people use it in a band setting, and have no issues with volume or sitting in the mix, provided they are using ample amplification or monitoring.

Back
Top Bottom