A couple CPU-saving questions

The part about the 2nd FIL block confuses me. I loaded your attachment and this is what it looks like:

View attachment 23421

Are you saying I should be using another FIL block to pan the signal prior to or after the cab blocks? Couldn't I leave the cabs "on" and run the synth as the source signal, then just turn them off (thru) as my local signal, or am I missing something?

I added the 'FIL' 2 block today to make it easier for others and posted the wrong one. I usually re-pan the "Cab" blocks to the left after I paste them. With the "FIL" block there, you (and I) won't have to remember to do this anymore.

Put the "Cab' blocks exactly as they are in your patch. most likely parallel?

Once you get your head around how it works, there are a lot of possibilities.

Ok, so I have the TM exported to a user cab slot, but it's only showing up on the front panel, not in Axe-Edit. Is this normal?

Also, like you guessed, my cabs were in parallel. I'm a bit confused about the cabs in series part. If I understood correctly, the TM I captured included the cabs at their relative settings? So I would just need to import it into a cab block with flat settings, right?

And thanks again! This has been a HUGE help!

Ok, so I have the TM exported to a user cab slot, but it's only showing up on the front panel, not in Axe-Edit. Is this normal?

Yes, in Axe-edit go to Settings, preferences, Refresh, and refresh the cab names.

Also, like you guessed, my cabs were in parallel. I'm a bit confused about the cabs in series part. If I understood correctly, the TM I captured included the cabs at their relative settings? So I would just need to import it into a cab block with flat settings, right?

Yes, Cab block 2 is flat. But cab block 1 needs to have all the settings that were there during the tone match. If when you did the tone match, you had the cab block on. Then that match is only adding to your cab block with all of it's settings. The new IR needs to have all of the tone affecting info from your cab block and the tone match block (which is know in the new user cab that you created from that tone match located in cab block 2) Which is located after cab block 1 in series, just like the tone match block was.

I hope that this makes sense.

Last edited:
Oh, and one more thing. The new "Ultra-rez" IR that is created from this whole process should be loaded into a Cab block with every thing flat, Mic sim none (or null?), Hi -/ Ultra Res mode. As this IR has all that Baked in.

BTW, Have you tried mixing the 2 "UR" cabs with 2 different mic sims yet?

I played around with it last night, and I think I'm missing something with the TMing... my results were ok, but the two cab version still sounded much thicker even after I compensated for the volume loss when using just one cab.

I'm convinced at this point that has to do with me being a TM noob, and I still think your idea is solid, but I think we might be saying the same thing in different ways regarding the cab block settings? When using the TM'd UR IR made from the two cabs going into the TM block with my preset, I had all of the settings in the cab block as flat as possible, and tried with both "none" and "null" mic models. The sounds weren't "bad" by any means, but were still noticeably different from the two-cab version. I wonder if it wouldn't have something to do with the way the source & local signals are panned hard L/R?

BTW, I also tried your idea on the shimmer patch. Works like a charm! It wasn't quite where I want it to be, but that's 100% because I need to go back and dial in the one reverb block correctly to replace the two (obviously, a lot more going on with a 2nd independent reverb).

I wish that I had the "OH_HGE" pack. Then you could send me your patch and I could have a crack at it.

I meant to say, I wish I could post you my exact results, but I'm using OH's and the man deserves to be paid for his FANTASTIC work.

Maybe I can make some short tracks over the next few days for comparison purposes.

Post a pic of your layout. I'm curious about your routeing. The dozens that I have done were indistinguishable from originals?

View attachment 23449View attachment 23450

OK, I've done some tests. As it turns out, the "Filter" blocks are not needed after all. The "Tone Match" block isolates the "Local" and "Reference" signals perfectly (as long as the "source" is set properly). Also, because everything is mono in these presets, I set the "Local" and "Reference" channel select back to "L+R Sum".

2 new versions attached.......1 Parallel and 1 Series...

Also, scene 2 will bypass the "Volume" block (with the volume set to 1 to keep the sine wave sweep from driving me crazy) at the end of the chain which has the "Bypass" state set to mute if the sine wave sweep is still driving you crazy.:encouragement:

Last edited:
Moke, sorry man, I'm just now seeing your latest replies. I'll try to get some screenshots up here ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom