AFIII A Cinematic Song - New Mix!

Never mind. It's back.
So weird... it took me like 10 tries to post it before it would populate correctly. I have it set to a private link at the moment, so maybe that's what the deal is. I wanted to share it on here, but didn't want to fully release it yet.

Here's a gear question for anyone out there who mixes... but does anyone have a control surface with a fader they use to write automation in Pro Tools? I need one badly and would love to hear if anyone is using something they dig.

So I uploaded the new mix in the original post. This one has bigger drums, added instrumentation, a ton of automation changes, and hopefully nails the feeling of a Marvel movie. Whew... Anyway, I hope you guys like the new version. And I'm still open to an criticisms or mastering tips to get things to sound good on SoundCloud.
It just keeps getting better!

Here's a couple of idea-hamster thoughts, presented solely for the purpose of imposing my tastes on someone else's art: ;)

- Try a longer 'verb tail on the vox at the beginning, to give it some ambiance. Shorten the tail to make the vox more direct as the song builds.

- Towards the end of the song, with the taiko hits that accompany the word "fly" in "we can fly" — I hear a crescendo across each set of hits. Consider building the crescendo with each repetition as the final part progresses, until the final hit of the song smacks the listener right out of his chair (while an image of Captain Badass jumps out of the screen, ready to kick ass in the sequel).

Is anyone getting the "oops we couldn't find that track" message? I can't figure out why it's live sometimes and sometimes it isn't.

Is anyone getting the "oops we couldn't find that track" message? I can't figure out why it's live sometimes and sometimes it isn't.
It comes and goes. I’ve also seen sporadic issues with YouTube videos posted to the forum: “This video is unavailable.”

Sounds cool. Very soundtrack style. But yea, soundcloud destroys audio by having the lower quality streams. I don't know why they don't just stream the higher quality MP3 you upload.

Sounds cool. Very soundtrack style. But yea, soundcloud destroys audio by having the lower quality streams. I don't know why they don't just stream the higher quality MP3 you upload.
Yeah, it totally destroys the depth of the track. I uploaded a 48k 24 bit WAV and it still sucked so much life out of the track. I’m glad you still like it though!

There is a lot of great talent hanging out around here. This is at the top of the heap. I like it a lot!!!
That comment really made my day. Thank you for being so supportive. This forum doesn’t see much of this kind of music, so I was nervous about posting it, but very thankful for the positive reactions it’s getting, so thank you!

Wow man i had no idea you sang like that
The production is just top shelf

But the vocals are insane Its sounds strange but you hear the personality
The inflections and timbres are spot on ,I kind of heard an Enrique Iglasis ballad type of vibe

This a tough style IMO when you have something with the vocals
So up front everything rests on the ability of the singer to deliver and make a connection w listner
And you do so in spades here

a couple of silly suggestions , first off as I am no where the song writer you are the track is great

for me I feel there was just a but too much repeating the chorus in the musical interlude , maybe along with the cello have piano doing a little solo
and playing the chorus chords instead or the vocal repeating them there .

After that interlude , instead of going right back into the chorus ,I may go back to the stripped down intro
with just the piano and repeating the first verse or first half of that verse ,let it hang on the last word

Then crash into the last chorus made it bigger . more vocals and maybe a high harmony to really hammer home .

Again , just ideas the song is really good and I could see it in a movie for sure ,great stuff

Dude, I’m just out I’m my garage having a smoke listening on my iPhone and it sounds as good or better than any official studio released stuff so I can imagine how beautiful the original uncompressed file/mix sounds through something/anything worthy of critical listening or even casual listening for that matter. And hell of a great job for a first time out into an unfamiliar songwriting territory for you. It speaks volumes to your creativity & understanding of both music and musician. Awesome vox btw.. I can hear why they said, “run with it.”

a couple of silly suggestions , first off as I am no where the song writer you are the track is great

for me I feel there was just a but too much repeating the chorus in the musical interlude , maybe along with the cello have piano doing a little solo
and playing the chorus chords instead or the vocal repeating them there .

After that interlude , instead of going right back into the chorus ,I may go back to the stripped down intro
with just the piano and repeating the first verse or first half of that verse ,let it hang on the last word

Then crash into the last chorus made it bigger . more vocals and maybe a high harmony to really hammer home .

Again , just ideas the song is really good and I could see it in a movie for sure ,great stuff
Thank you so much for the comments! I may be able to make the reentry into the 3rd chorus you mentioned. That could be a cool dynamic pop.

As far as the lyrical repetition, that’s the key element to the sync world and is an integral part of what music supervisors are looking for. Makes it way more challenging to write because you have to create a feeling and emotion without telling a story (because the story is being told on screen), but the music needs to support the visual and dialog aspects of the scene. I’m still learning a ton and looking forward to the next one.

Dude, I’m just out I’m my garage having a smoke listening on my iPhone and it sounds as good or better than any official studio released stuff so I can imagine how beautiful the original uncompressed file/mix sounds through something/anything worthy of critical listening or even casual listening for that matter. And hell of a great job for a first time out into an unfamiliar songwriting territory for you. It speaks volumes to your creativity & understanding of both music and musician. Awesome vox btw.. I can hear why they said, “run with it.”
Thank you so much for signing in to say all of that. It’s truly an encouragement, and that’s the stuff that keeps me wanting to create more music.

Back
Top Bottom